lilmac

No time jump between Episode VII and VIII

What do you guys think of the announcement by Rian Johnson that there would be no gap in time between TFA and Episode VIII? 

I imagine we'll still get an Opening Crawl but what will it say?

Imagine Star Wars with a cold open. 

20 minutes ago, lilmac said:

What do you guys think of the announcement by Rian Johnson that there would be no gap in time between TFA and Episode VIII? 

I imagine we'll still get an Opening Crawl but what will it say?

Imagine Star Wars with a cold open. 

yeah they said that before about the movie will start basically where ep 7 ends.  I like the idea but they can quickly jump to a time period afterwards if they need to so it may not affect much

I think there will still be a crawl.  I can't imagine there wouldn't be

• Like 1

They said it would start when ep 7 ended... but not where.

Doesn't mean it's gonna start with Luke and Rey. Plus, I am under the impression that the journey to Luke's location actually took some time, and things could have happened in-between.

• Like 2

There were a lot of events that were kind of glossed over in the end too. they never said how mad Finn's injuries were, I kind of get the feeling he may be getting some cyborg upgrades, from the looks of it the lightsaber hit right on his nerves system. I don't know if it's just me, but I recently just rewatched TFA got the impression that when Rey and Leia meet, that they know each other somehow, the way they imbrace seems like long lost friends. Poe's probably being sent on another daring mission as well. and the first order is probably right behind in the search for Luke.

Edited by Kalo

It's dismal and sad how they are turning the film saga into something that looks more like a tv series. Lazy Writing, pleasing the aggressive film mob.

I liked the gaps in both the original trilogies (even if they would happen to be 10 years or one year). They contributed to the mystery of the saga and began every chapter with a new page.

But I still have lot higher hopes for this one than eppisode VII. Looper-guy does at least seem to know how to make a Movie with big establishing photo and framing. Looper looked gorgeous.

Fock J.J.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
7 hours ago, Amadeus said:

It's dismal and sad how they are turning the film saga into something that looks more like a tv series. Lazy Writing, pleasing the aggressive film mob.

I liked the gaps in both the original trilogies (even if they would happen to be 10 years or one year). They contributed to the mystery of the saga and began every chapter with a new page.

But I still have lot higher hopes for this one than eppisode VII. Looper-guy does at least seem to know how to make a Movie with big establishing photo and framing. Looper looked gorgeous.

Fock J.J.

I'm sorry what? It's not lazy writing. It's the story they want to tell. If they feel like they gain nothing from a time gap, why force them to have one?

• Like 6

They could also have Luke sensing all the events unfold of the first film while they are going on, but with no ship or anything, he is forced to watch Han die, etc. And yeah, I'm sure it'll have been at least a few months since the starkiller base incident.

If I remember correctly Empire didn't take that long after ANH either. The Prequels were the only ones that really jumped in time, well because they had to.

• Like 1

It would be so goofy to start SW8 just right where SW7 ended with Rey's overstreched hand to Luke in a staring contest (That scene made me laugh with all the cheesy close close-ups and over-the-top helicopter circling shot back and forth). It would feel like a bad soap opera "previously on SW" then resume the ending sequence right where it was, that would prove that SW7 didn't have a real closure but the sequence was left dangling to be cut short as a cliffhanger before ads resume as the first act/pilot of a TV series more than a proper movie with a beginning, a middle and an ending. The issue with TFA is that two different stories are parasiting each other (Quest for Luke going further and the revamping of SW4 by shoving Starkiller going back to ANH for fan servicing) but it doesn't gel because you just can't placate what worked beautifully on a peculiar story (ANH) to one another without pitfalls and expect it to play out and work exactly the same way with the same dramatic outcomes/delivery. So neither feel all that satisfying in the end because Starkiller's plot all but completely cast aside Luke's quest bringing the main through line to an halt but since the movie was never about destroying Starkiller (BB8's map is about finding Luke), it felt like a long stretch of narrative fat distraction lazily re-enacting ANH's climax without the same excitation. The stakes are drown. (And Luke was actually needless to the resistance in order to stop both Starkiller and Kylo Ren so the opening crawl is now kinda void).

Now see the difference with TESB's open ending and ROTJ. The latter didn't start out with Luke and Leia on the medical ship while Lando and Chewie are still going to Tatooine aboard the Falcon. The ellipse jumps to the actual next tome "Han's rescue in Jabba's palace months/years after".

Starting SW8 at the exact end of SW7 looks like starting a new paragraph of an unfinished sequence of the story not a new chapter let alone a new opus (Because if the immediate aftermath of that scene was really needed, it should have been in SW7 not at the beginning of SW8 three years after, it reduces the epic lengths of the unfolding events to a very limited timeframe).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

I am assuming there be time jumps. Rey traveling to Luke could have taken months. Her training might be a year long. When Luke trains with Yoda it takes months. Travel to Cloud City also takes weeks. 

I am not sure how I feel about it talking place right where it left off. Right now I do not like that idea.

• Like 1

On 2016-07-21 at 9:09 PM, Water Bottle said:

I'm sorry what? It's not lazy writing. It's the story they want to tell. If they feel like they gain nothing from a time gap, why force them to have one?

I'm sorry? This just proves how they do not understand Star Wars as film making. They dont understand the pacing, the music, the photo of a Star Wars-movie. 

Just look at how J.J. diminished the ooomph-factor of the laser sword: 

tfa018.png

tfa019.png

tfa042.png

These pictures are the definition of amateurism. In george lucas' films the swords almost always in focus; one could almost always see the whole blade. This fact gave room for creative camera angles. In comparison to the photo in The Force Awakens the photo in Star Wars I-VI is pure da Vinci. 

e4001.png

sws2.png

Just look at Obi Wan's sword is enhancing the lines or how Windu's saber marks the center of the photo and creates focus:

e39999.png

sws99999.png

e5004.png

Or how the final strike is pictured:

Episode I, IV, VI:

add3.png

add6.png

add8.png

Episode VII......... WTF?!

tfa070.png

And J.J. has no sense of how to create room and space: if you could see the sword in one shot, Lucas always made sure it was there in the next shot so that we knew the distance between the actors:

e32.png

e33.png

e6011.png

In The Force Awakens they are just talking heads inside boxes, pictures with no relationship.

tfa032.png

tfa031.png

• Like 2

I know the movie was released three years later.  Has there ever been any kind of confirmation of the actual timeline. Even if it is 3 years, the time jump is the most unimportant thing of ESB which is the point I was going for.

It's a confirmed. ANH to ESB is 3 years.

And this sudden nagging of time jumps being vital to Star Wars is a very strange grasping at straws to create some bias against this movie before it even comes out because of reasons.

• Like 6

• Community Manager
On 7/27/2016 at 10:39 AM, Amadeus said:

I'm sorry? This just proves how they do not understand Star Wars as film making. They dont understand the pacing, the music, the photo of a Star Wars-movie. 

Just look at how J.J. diminished the ooomph-factor of the laser sword: 

tfa018.png

tfa019.png

tfa042.png

These pictures are the definition of amateurism. In george lucas' films the swords almost always in focus; one could almost always see the whole blade. This fact gave room for creative camera angles. In comparison to the photo in The Force Awakens the photo in Star Wars I-VI is pure da Vinci. 

e4001.png

sws2.png

Just look at Obi Wan's sword is enhancing the lines or how Windu's saber marks the center of the photo and creates focus:

e39999.png

sws99999.png

e5004.png

Or how the final strike is pictured:

Episode I, IV, VI:

add3.png

add6.png

add8.png

Episode VII......... WTF?!

tfa070.png

And J.J. has no sense of how to create room and space: if you could see the sword in one shot, Lucas always made sure it was there in the next shot so that we knew the distance between the actors:

e32.png

e33.png

e6011.png

In The Force Awakens they are just talking heads inside boxes, pictures with no relationship.

tfa032.png

tfa031.png

What in god's name are you talking about? Once again, forcing them to have a time break doesn't actually add anything to the story they want to tell OR there would be one.  Having said that considering how many people found Episode 7 to be too close to the OT, I don't think the problem is they didn't understand the pacing, music, or "photo" of a Star Wars movie. But that's not even relevant to this upcoming movie: Abrams isn't even directing Episode 8! He's not writing it!

(And by the way I never had a problem understanding the distance between characters in The Force Awakens. And if you want to argue that the DP is an amateur, you probably don't want to say they don't understand the "photo" of a Star Wars movie. Not that it matters since you selectively ignored any shots that disagreed with your point.)

• Like 2

On 28/07/2016 at 9:43 PM, Thegun said:

I know the movie was released three years later.  Has there ever been any kind of confirmation of the actual timeline. Even if it is 3 years, the time jump is the most unimportant thing of ESB which is the point I was going for.

I'm Dash Rendar and I disapprove this message.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I'm Dash Rendar and I disapprove this message.

No idea what that means

ESB has a certain immediacy to it, where as ROTJ shows the journey to find Han, and Luke's abilities have really grown between films have more weight to it.  ESB on the other hand shows the Empire really is a direct result of the Death Star being destroyed, and they are literally going to destroy every rebel base there is.

Edited by Thegun

4 hours ago, Thegun said:

No idea what that means

Dude, really? Never heard of Dash Rendar? Shadows Of The Empire?

Those time jumps between ANH and ESB then ESB and ROTJ (during which SOTE takes place) are what literally allowed the creation of that character (and many others) and his adventures that showcased what happened in between episodes and extended the scope of Starwars universe outside from the main trio.(Han references Dash Rendar in ESB at the Echo Base during a chat with Leia when he talks about a meeting with a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell that made him reconsider his pragmatic priorities).

All in all, that was a joke to say those ellipsises and small hints like those in the dialogue showcase how the universe lives on in between episodes for the characters providing more depth and background.

Edited by dashrendar44