MrFanaticGuy34

Next animated film in the future to surpass Frozen, WW-wise?

Which movie could beat Frozen WW-wise?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie could beat Frozen WW-wise?

• Despicable Me 3
    • Moana
    • Toy Story 4
    • The Incredibles 2
    • Zootopia 2
    • The Secret Life of Pets 2
    • Something else

On 7/28/2016 at 7:14 AM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Oh, and before any of you diehard Frozen-fans are saying "Oh, nothing will ever beat Frozen again!" "I don't want any other animated film to top it."

Will and want are two different things, of course, and one thing that I don't want is for a sequel to be at the top.

.......well, it got to $1.276B due to Japan adding in over $240M over there.

So?  Are we talking totals or some far more complex analysis that diminishes the contribution of certain hand-picked markets?  That could be done with most any movie to make most any point.

But i won't count Frozen 2 as one of them.....cause let's be honest......it's from the same franchise. So that doesn't count.

So?  Not all sequels gross more, especially when the original is of the specific type of phenomenon that we see here, performed extremely well OS (where most of the gain is usually to be had), and does not in any way demand a sequel (some movies are simply this way--the story is DONE).

On 7/28/2016 at 9:36 AM, Jason said:

If I had to name a film that could be a contender, I'd go with Frozen 2. Earliest possible release for Frozen 2 is November 2019, by which time it's possible that the USD will not be quite as strong as it is now. Even then I expect it will depend on Frozen 2 being the phenomenon in Japan that Frozen was.

Frozen 2 matching the original's gross in Japan is, in my estimation, extremely unlikely for the reasons given above, only even more so in this market.

On 7/29/2016 at 1:44 PM, edroger3 said:

I don't think we will see F2 in next few years. Disney knows well that the wave of first movie isn't coming to an end and tries to milk the cow in every possible way (theme parks, Broadway, cruises, app & videogames). Other, more important, the big licensing partners, mainly Hasbro and Lego, are putting the mouse house under pressure for new partnership, as the sales of Star Wars related items aren't so great as expected overseas and, by now, Frozen is always at the top of the whishlist . So the creative team behind F2 is now involved in other "co-financed" projects and the developement of the cinematic sequel is delayed. The most important of those is "Frozen Northern Lights", a brand new story in partnership with Lego that will be released in late 2016: there will be a tv serie, books and obviously toys. (I remember you that in 2015 the top seller among Lego items was the "Elsa ice Castle" building set). Wel'll see.

You hit the nail on the head here.  There are so many other ways to "milk" this franchise that the sequel could be saved for when it's needed, which theoretically would be when the franchise could use a major boost.  Until then, as you pointed out, the creative team will be occupied anyway with the Broadway show and other productions that are less involved and difficult to crack than a full-on sequel to a movie that was never intended to have one (the latter opinion is mine).  They weren't making great progress anyway, as for example Kristen Bell said she expected to start recording in March, which didn't happen, and then July/August, which also didn't happen--no one has sent her even a draft script so far, and it has been nearly three years since the original movie was released.  Then in September, like you I heard that the sequel would be delayed.  Delayed from what date and for how long are open questions, but I get the sense that the potential release date has always been an open question itself to everyone.  This means that they're not working on the sequel right now, or put it on the "back-burner" at least.

The sequel will happen when it can, and hopefully not before because frankly I don't like what I heard from the creators, who were obviously being pressed not only to make a sequel they never intended, but to replicate the success of the original--they said something to the effect that they think they've finally figured out what people liked so much about the original (they didn't know at first--they were just trying to tell a story), and would give more of that to the audience.  That's exactly the wrong way to tell a good story and make a good movie--fully contrived to pander to the target audience.  They need more time and "space" and less pressure to get their heads in the right place again--hopefully eventually finding the right ideas will inspire them to do much better than what they said, but like I said, the original doesn't call for a sequel in the slightest, so.... :unsure:  Really, it shouldn't be that hard--if coming up with an idea for a sequel can stump the creators for years, then obviously this means that a sequel shouldn't be made, but hey, money talks.

On 7/29/2016 at 1:49 PM, cannastop said:

Right now, WDAS has untitled slots for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in the years 2019 and 2020. I think Frozen 2 is going to be in one of those slots.

Those could be anything (WDAS themselves don't know)--whatever happens to be the most ready for production at those times, and although Frozen 2 could still make those dates, the creative team are doing other things right now.

On 7/29/2016 at 3:12 PM, cannastop said:

I was disputing your statement that Frozen 2 wasn't going to come out in the next few years. Are you aware that Frozen 2 has already officially been announced?

No release date has ever been announced, progress has been slow, and other things have come up.  That's the word from inside the studio, and some of it has made it to the media, as well.  And despite Disney's extreme propensity to create franchises and endless sequels (which is finally, sadly gripping WDAS), fortunately there has never been a big rush with Frozen in regard to a sequel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

How do you know this? Do you have some informant or something?

Well, even if I did, not everyone on the inside knows everything with certainty, so perhaps I should have called it scuttlebutt (in my experience much of it ends up being true, but you do have to "separate the wheat from the chaff").  You can pick up a bunch of scuttlebutt from insiders on websites/blogs/forums such as Cartoon Brew or the TAG Blog, for example:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com

If I know something others here do not, then I must have kept coming back to the same articles and reading more comments from the insiders, and such. :)

Actually, I do know some insiders, but they're not free to speak on such matters (their own discretion), and I don't press them for information.

8 minutes ago, Melvin Frohike said:

Well, even if I did, not everyone on the inside knows everything with certainty, so perhaps I should have called it scuttlebutt (in my experience much of it ends up being true, but you do have to "separate the wheat from the chaff").  You can pick up a bunch of scuttlebutt from insiders on websites/blogs/forums such as Cartoon Brew or the TAG Blog, for example:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com

If I know something others here do not, then I must have kept coming back to the same articles and reading more comments from the insiders, and such. :)

Actually, I do know some insiders, but they're not free to speak on such matters (their own discretion), and I don't press them for information.

Oh yeah, I've heard of that first blog. I haven't read it as closely as I used to, though.

Still, they announced Frozen 2 voice sessions:

http://www.slashfilm.com/frozen-2-production-start/

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Still, they announced Frozen 2 voice sessions:

http://www.slashfilm.com/frozen-2-production-start/

That was from March, and edroger3 and I touched on it earlier.  Kristen was supposed to come in for recording sessions in April, but she was never called in or even sent a script.  Then I recall a TV interview with her in July or August in which she said that still nothing had happened yet.  Then in September and October there were announcements of the creators working on a smaller Frozen-related project (already mentioned above), in addition to scuttlebutt about the sequel being temporarily delayed, which makes perfect sense, as I had been hearing all along about progress being slow anyway.  I suspect they were trying to press ahead too quickly and then thought better of it, but to be clear the latter is speculation on my part.

2 minutes ago, Melvin Frohike said:

That was from March, and edroger3 and I touched on it earlier.  Kristen was supposed to come in for recording sessions in April, but she was never called in or even sent a script.  Then I recall a TV interview with her in July or August in which she said that still nothing had happened yet.  Then in September and October there were announcements of the creators working on a smaller Frozen-related project (already mentioned above), in addition to scuttlebutt about the sequel being temporarily delayed, which makes perfect sense, as I had been hearing all along about progress being slow anyway.  I suspect they were trying to press ahead too quickly and then thought better of it, but to be clear the latter is speculation on my part.

Whoops. I guess I'm slow on the uptake.