zerbs

Stranger Things (Netflix)

Finally got around to watching the first season. I like the atmosphere they're going for and the characters are reasonably compelling considering they're all riffs on archetypes. Ultimately though the narrative's fairly ordinary and I hope they have some more original ideas in mind for the upcoming season.

"Coffee and contemplation" is my new morning mantra.

Edited by tribefan695

I just finished watching ST1. I watched 7 episodes yesterday and the last one today.

I really enjoyed the 80's tone they went for, the intro music and title animation is so beautiful. Acting is superb and photography too.

Like tribefan said, the narrative was pretty standard tho and it left a slightly off aftertaste. I also found it a bit stupid that the "science" of the Upside Down phenomenon was  exactly like the boys theorised (at least that's how it appeared to me). There are many questions still unanswered tho which I hope we will get to explore in ST2. That huge monster in the trailer gives me hopes there will be some cool sht to discover. Also very happy that ma girl El is back and kickin ass.

I've rewatched it in the last few days and it holds up pretty great. I like that it has a pretty simple narrative and the "science" stuff were pretty easy to understand even if they were ridiculous. In fact my biggest fear about this being an ongoing series and not an anthology is that we might end up by season 4 with a ton of complicated "science" mumbo jumbo being front and center and explained to death in every episode.

But my main takeaway from the rewatch is how much I love Steve Harrington. The teenagers part of the story was easily the least compeling of the 3 main arcs and I'm pretty sure it only works because of Steve. I liked the subversion of him not being the douche we are conditioned to expect, but I remembered mostly him being a douche and then doing a 180 in the last 2 episodes. But they pulled the same trick in smaller ways on every incident he was involved even before he ditched his terrible friends around episode 6 or 7. The pool party at the start of the season played like a cautionary tale of naive high school girl taken advantage of until it wasn't, then he smashed Jonathan's camera which was a dick move but it was kinda creepy that he took pictures of them anyway and so on. The whole season he was hanging around with the textbook highschool "popular" bullies so we would assume he was just as bad at every turn and then he wasn't. I hope we get more Steve Harrington in season 2.

• Community Manager

First episode thoughts:

[*] So far lacks the focus and urgency of season one. Which is fine but it's part of what made the first season of Stranger Things so great. Hopefully they don't wait too long.

[*] I would have switched two scenes in the first episode at the end. This way we end on the monster reveal rather than Eleven and the sheriff eating dinner.

[*] ROFL at the KFC product placement

[*] Lots of new characters. Fine but so far none of them are really doing anything for me. Stranger Things isn't really character drama so kinda worried adding too many characters will make everyone too two-dimensional.

Grade: B

Season Grade (so far): B-

An okay start so far.

Watching an episode a day rather than binging it.

• Like 1

I watched the whole second season and the beyond series afterwards.  There were a couple things I wasn't thrilled about in the season but they did tie it all together at least so it wasn't a waste.  I won't say much since it seems like not everyone has finished yet so I won't even do spoiler tags until I see more people complete everything

Edit- forgot to say I really liked the season though :) 

Edited by 75Live

Finished the whole thing. Enjoyed it even if it had a few convenient moments. 

"Did you pullout" made me fucking laugh my ass off

Episode 7 felt like a waste of time. Completely pointless with these one dimensional characters

Noah was absolutely fantastic this season.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 1

I’ve finished it now and quite liked it. 

Spoiler

However, probably my biggest issue is the whole sister story didn’t really go anywhere. Yes, they flashbacked to it to show it was how 11 learnt to fully harness her powers but I felt more should have come of it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 75Live said:

I watched the whole second season and the beyond series afterwards.  There were a couple things I wasn't thrilled about in the season but they did tie it all together at least so it wasn't a waste.  I won't say much since it seems like not everyone has finished yet so I won't even do spoiler tags until I see more people complete everything

Edit- forgot to say I really liked the season though :) 

I wondered what you were talking about. I couldn’t find the Beyond show at first. I found it now. 

SPOILER WARNING!

DO NOT WATCH BEYOND STRANGER THINGS UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE FINISHED EVERY EPISODE. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I’ve finished it now and quite liked it. 

Hide contents

However, probably my biggest issue is the whole sister story didn’t really go anywhere. Yes, they flashbacked to it to show it was how 11 learnt to fully harness her powers but I felt more should have come of it. 

Yeah that part of the story I wasn't crazy about. I get why they did it and it was important to a point, but it just wasn't something I was thrilled about. However it didn't take anything away from the season so I gave it a pass :P

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

I wondered what you were talking about. I couldn’t find the Beyond show at first. I found it now. 

SPOILER WARNING!

DO NOT WATCH BEYOND STRANGER THINGS UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE FINISHED EVERY EPISODE. 

Yeah I probably should yave been more specific lol  it's the after show like the talking dead and it had its own category I guess to find it.  It just went on after the last episode of season 2 for me so I didnt  have to search :P