grim22

Secret Life of Pets 2 | June 7 2019 | Illumination | Dropped more than half from the first movie. Also 14th most profitable movie of 2019

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Makes sense considering the upcoming theme park attraction based on it at Universal Studios was supposedly given the go ahead nearly a year ago already. 

Yeah I think people here jumped the gun a bit about the fact it will take them only 2 years to develop it.

I bet it will be 3 years given the DHD article and the theme park news. 3 years is the average time for an animated film. So I think they'll take their time with this one.

2 years would make me a bit worried but the DHD article made me more confident.

I can't wait to see what sort of deep places they go here. All sorts of dramatic potential with Duke learning to cope with his owner's tragic death and Max struggling to balance his carefree personality with his growing romantic feelings for Gidget

8 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

DHD says it was already in the works before 2016:

On the heels of the $400M milestone, Illumination and Universal have set a July 13, 2018,  release date for The Secret Life Of Pets 2. This actually was a sort of cheeky public secret, hinted at by a previously announced date for an “Untitled Illumination Franchise Film.”

Knew it.

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

And also.....does anyone think that the sequel could have a more original story and capture of what made this one good? But improve it.

Yeah it could could get rid of Max and Duke entirely and focuses the entire film on Gidget

I liked Max and think he made a solid lead. Duke should have a much smaller role I agree. Hopefully Snowball's role is decreased too cause Hart is just so grating most of the time to me. Gidget, Pops, and Chloe were the best and all the minor characters were enjoyable. 

Edited by MovieMan89

19 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

I don't think Illumination hasn't worked yet on the script. I actually think they must have started in 2015 (like they did with Minions). That would have made it a normal 3 years production time.

With that, I assume we are going to get a DM4 in 2019.

Overall I am excited for the news! And it could make more than SLOP domestically if it gets a sequel bump like DM, Shrek or other properties. 

16 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Makes sense considering the upcoming theme park attraction based on it at Universal Studios was supposedly given the go ahead nearly a year ago already. 

Yup. The test screenings back in early 2015 were off the freaking charts and Universal went into overdrive commissioning Illumination to put the sequel into early development and Universal Creative to fast-track development of a family dark ride for the parks. They gambled and essentially hit the jackpot.

23 hours ago, gavni63 said:

Why do I have a feeling the entire plot is going to focus around the owners moving to a new city.  Something like the culturally opposite city of Los Angeles... wait, I might be thinking of Bolt.

I'm thinking they go the Cars 2/Muppets Most Wanted route and go international. The title? "The Secret World of Pets". (this is speculation, btw)

9 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Especially Pixar-fanboys. :ph34r:

Oh shush.

4 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Yup. The test screenings back in early 2015 were off the freaking charts and Universal went into overdrive commissioning Illumination to put the sequel into early development and Universal Creative to fast-track development of a family dark ride for the parks. They gambled and essentially hit the jackpot.

Well those early test screening certainly weren't inaccurate. When all is said and done SLOP is going to be nipping not too far at the heels of Frozen and be the third biggest original animated grosser ever. 

Hopefully they continue the promising formula of two films per year: one sequel and one original to please both parties of non-sequel lovers and sequel lovers.  The Secret Life of Pets was quite a solid film (B- to C+) coming from a studio known for its unsteady track with films outside the Despicable Me franchise and I personally would not mind a sequel and see Snowball again.  I do find that in this global climate I would much rather watch an entertaining, pop-corn film than a dark, politically driven (main text or sub-text) film that is already my reality.  Just my two cents. 

14 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

It'll probably something like the main dog's owner moves in with a significant other who has a pet of their own.

This makes so much sense.

SLOP: Max getting a brother, family expansion

SLOP2: Max and Duke get a sister & human Dad, family expansion

SLOP3: All 3 dogs get a human baby addition

• Like 1