Grade It  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

When Harley Quinn is about to join Enchantress at the end but fakes everyone out, it's a damn shame - this could have actually led to a legitimate arc of emotion and catharsis, but no wonder to movie opted out of it - that would have been far too interesting.

Well damn, I had fun with this. I even liked it.

Weakest movie of the DCEU? Sure. It's a bigger mess in terms of narrative, structure and editing than BvS theatrical, but the fun of it all - eg the camaraderie between the Skwad, (Smith and Robbie especially are as expected fantastic) - it still makes this craziness work, and unlike BvS TC I can see audiences forgiving the messiness because of that fun factor. Now that 140m domestic OW figure makes a bit more sense and I don't think we'll get a big second week drop and I guess A- CinemaScore.

May repeat myself in these but anyway the good: Smith and Robbie, I actually liked the mob boss gangster approach to Joker here so props to Leto for making it work, Courtney was funny and Diablo was cool as well. Katana though, I wish we could see more especially back story instead of being a couple dialogue throwaways, same for Slipknot (for obvious reasons). The interactions, the chemistry, the humour, you spend a great time with them all that you forget/cab excuseas an audience member the bad stuff. Also MVP: Viola. Bloody. Davis. Female F.U. with badassery cranked up to 11, absolutely fantastic.

So the bad stuff: first act oh my dear god that was, while at first enjoyable, but I didn't really like the way it was put together. (I see you Trailer Park - that all is definitely from their cut). Thankfully it's all evened out once the mission begins, making the rest of the film like an extemded third act is certainly an interesting choice, although it did not make sense story and plot wise. It's during the rest of the film - where you get more of Price's great score and less of all the pop stuff (looking at you again Trailer Park) that we see what Ayer was originally trying to make. This messy conflict of visions is there when you look closely but again, thanks to the characters it just works.

Also - biggest wasted potential is Enchantress: not to mention Cara hamming it up, I think a very interesting Mr Robot/Fight Club-esque dynamic of Moone v Enchantress could've been explored (and I liked the pairing of her and Flagg on paper) but no she's Gozer 2.0 in this which is serviceable and alright given what we get in most other CBMs....

Lastly - all the complaints on how "problematic" it is - um they're bad guys? And Harley tried to pull a knife on Bats underwater so, there.

And also lastly - one too much Batman, just one cameo in the film would've been enough, but Wayne at the end was AWESOMENESS

So yeah, it's a hot mess but at least it's a good , even great B movie fun time. Can we get Ayer's cut pls 

6.5/10

• Like 1

Saw this yesterday-it was better then BVS, but not as good as Civil War (expected that). Anyway it was quite fun I thought. Yeah there might of been too many characters, but it was still very enjoyable. Quite goofy at times too. The soundtrack was pretty good also.

B+

C-

The first half is so bad I felt embarrassed for everybody involved. The 2nd half is generic action blockbuster coasting on Will Smith's shoulders to at least make the pill go down easier.

TRIANGLE BITCH

Jai Courtney stuffing his little Binky (was it Pinky?) into his jacket :wub:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

C-

The first half is so bad I felt embarrassed for everybody involved. The 2nd half is generic action blockbuster coasting on Will Smith's shoulders to at least make the pill go down easier.

TRIANGLE BITCH

Jai Courtney stuffing his little Binky (was it Pinky?) into his jacket :wub:

Best moment by far.

• Like 1

Oof. This is every bit as much of a mess Batman v Superman was. Suicide Squad certainly has some very good moments but for the most part is just another loud and soulless contraption that is in no way the fun movie the marketing promised (it must be said: the trailers are selling a movie that doesn't even exist!). This very much reeks of a product that everyone couldn't decide on what they wanted it to be.

For a movie that's sold as a team effort, there's very little chemistry among this group of antiheroes. A large part of that has to do with the cobbled-together script, which is compiled of random scenes that never come together as anything resembling a coherent product. Character motivations once again remain vague at best, and the attempts at fleshing them out largely fall flat. And the action scenes are mostly just overproduced noise.

Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Viola Davis do the best they can with what they're given, which isn't much (Smith shows here that still has that megawatt charisma that made him a superstar). Joel Kinnaman is okay but is also stuck with a poorly-developed character. No one else leaves an impression of any kind. And while Jared Leto is certainly a creepy-looking Joker, his role in this movie is comppletely superfluous.

I'm close to completely giving up on this DCEU, guys.

C-

• Like 4

Suicide Squad is sorta mixed bag, but overall it's quite disappointing. On the one hand I did enjoy it more BVS, but it still suffered from many of the same problems, like some poor editing (at least as far as the theatrical cut of BVS goes), a lack of really direction, and a CGI mess of a finale. However it did feature some good acting, in particular I liked Will Smith as Deadshot, Margot Robbie was a good Harley Quinn, even though her Jersey went and came noticeably, Viola Davis was a good and menacing Amanda Waller, although his part is wasted a bit, and she's required just to stand around and give speeches most of the time, however Jared Leto was a disappointing Joker though his lack of screentime was likely part of the reason why, and also because he came off as less menacing and more fake. Surprisingly Jai Courtney (who I consider to be Sam Worthington's blander replacement), was quite amusing and energetic as Captain Boomerang though. Additionally Katana feels like a character who's been added for no reason other then they can, she doesn't serve purpose to the team, and probably could have dropped altogether. Some of the humor was actually pretty funny, particularly anything that Will Smith said, and I liked the team dynamic that the squad had going for them, although that bar scene near the end felt like a poor attempt at some real character development.

My problems with the film more have to do with it's how structured. The introduction of the characters in the first act while necessary, felt like it went on too long, and by the time the actual squad was formed they were already going up against Enchantress and her Gods of Egypt rejected video game CGI brother, in a finale that was way too similar to BVS's. It didn't seem like there was enough time to develop them as an actual team. Also the use of songs was jarring, the first twenty minutes of this film felt like it might as well have been a greatest hits collection. Thankfully the film doesn't use as many songs as it might from then on, though a happy pop song being played over footage of Superman's footage, did provide for some unintentional laughs. The actual score by Steven Price is pretty good though.

The Enchantress plot itself almost felt shoehorned in, and was probably added by the WB, considering that David Ayer's original plan was to make a much more smaller 70m budgeted film. The film's finale is just another beam in the sky night finale that so many Hollywood blockbusters seem to resort to nowadays. While the film does contain some of Ayer's trademarks, it does feel like it's a film tampered a bit with by the studio.

Overall, Suicide Squad is a disappointment, while it does have it's moments, and I wouldn't say it's BAD bad, it's one of those films that opens with a lot of promise and just ends as a mess.

5.5 / 10

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Hello, film police. I'd like to report that I just witnessed a crime against cinema. Yeah, I saw Suicide Squad.

D-

hahahaha I walked to my car from my theater saying "I want my $14 back. I really really want my $14 back. Gimmie my $14 back." like The Joker from TDK when he wants his phone call.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Cara Delevigne was fucking awful in this. It also didn't help that she was stuck with the worst villain in recent memory.

Jai Courtney was just there most of the time. Although I did like the stuffed animal bit.

Surely the dance she had to do was a lousy directorial choice. But nevertheless, this is like Cara's second or third biggish role in a Hollywood movie and she clearly does not sell herself well as a supervillain.

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

yeah this movie was bad. Really bad. Will Smith's Deadshot is really the only redeeming aspect. 

No, Harley is easily the best (only?) good part of the movie.  Deadshot was good too, but way below Harley.  And they ruined Joker with all the cuts.  No wonder Leto was so pissed.  And the writing was atrocious. It was more fun and better than BvS, but could (should) have been way better.  Unlike BvS though, I am really looking forward to the director's cut, with all the Joker scenes and Joker/Harley backstory parts.  

C-   and only because Harley was so good.  Robbie is perfect as her.

• Like 1