Grade It  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Ok, so just seen the extended cut. OMG.:rofl:By no means is this a good movie from a technical/plot POV. But you know why it did so well? Because it is fun. It is crazy, huge and not taking itself seriously and omg I had a blast. I enjoyed the weird cutting and songs crammed over every shot. It was like watching a big music video with Harley's craziness poured all over. Freakin delicious. I loved BvS for it's dark themes. I loved this for the how insane it was.

A

• Like 1

Just seen it and......it was pretty fun for me at least. I can understand why other people did not like the film.....and i can understand the problems they have with it.

But...i don't think it is as bad as others are saying. Is it a well-praised movie? No......but that didn't stop me from enjoying it more than i thought. Liked it a bit better than BvS....(which i also liked, BTW).

A-

Hope the next upcoming DCEU-films are received better.

I actually enjoyed the movie a fair amount. Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Viola Davis and (surprisingly Jai Courtney) are the standouts. Their characters are at least somewhat developed and they're fun and even likable to some extent. The other ones are rather forgettable, though (especially Enchantress who is a boring-ass villain). I also wasn't a big fan of Leto's Joker, although I did like his banter with Harley. The visuals were obviously very good and the soundtrack was awesome (but nowhere near GotG level because some of the songs felt a bit out of place). The plot is kind of a mess, though and the editing is weird. Overall still a positive experience for me, but WB really needs to get their shit together when it comes to the general tone and feel of their films.

Grade: B-

Finally got around to watching this. Idk if it was from my low expectations from a combination of personally hating Mos and BvS, and the reveiws of RT (I take little consideration into critic reviews, but I do pay attention to them) and reviews from here and from people I know in real life (reviews from here and people I personally know and the fact of my feelings toward MoS and BvS are part of the reason I paid more attention to RT for this than I usually do), but I actually didn't mind this. Actually, for the most part, I liked it. I DID hate Leto as the Joker though, but that's my biggest issue with the film. He looked different, but in my opinion he was trying wayyy to hard to mimic Ledger's voice instead of doing his own thing. But as a film overall, I dug it. It wasn't perfect by any means, but a huge step in the right direction for the DCEU in my opinion. 

I'd give it a B or a B+ (would have to watch it again to determine)

Edited by cheesypoofs

shit I haven't reviewed this film yet.i saw this around my Christmas break, and I really liked it. I liked will smith in the film, as well as the rest of the squad especially Harley Quinn, and Boomerang both played by Margot Robbie and Jai Courtney(yes he's in a good movie). The villain was cool and was kind of a bitch. It's no Deadpool, but Suicide Squad is a surprisingly fun superhero film in the D.C. Universe. The soundtrack is also pretty good too! Grade:B+

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

shit I haven't reviewed this film yet.i saw this around my Christmas break, and I really liked it. I liked will smith in the film, as well as the rest of the squad especially Harley Quinn, and Boomerang both played by Margot Robbie and Jai Courtney(yes he's in a good movie). The villain was cool and was kind of a bitch. It's no Deadpool, but Suicide Squad is a surprisingly fun superhero film in the D.C. Universe. The soundtrack is also pretty good too! Grade:B+

Thats pretty much how I felt. Not one of the best comic book films, but a nice surprise considering all the bad hype surrounding it.

My final trip through the DCEU. After not hating but heavily disliking Man Of Steel, and... not disliking but still not really liking BVS (Theatrical Cut) or anything, it was time to watch the 1st non-Snyder directed DCEU film, Suicide Squad.

NOTE: This is the original cut review, not the extended version.

After watching it for the 1st time, I didn't think it was that bad. As a matter of fact, I liked it more than Man Of Steel and thought it was on par w/Batman V Superman. It was a mess and not good, but fun enough and well acted enough that I could forgive it, no matter how disappointing it ultimately was.

Now, after my opinions on both MOS and BVS have gone a little up (just a little bit, though), Suicide Squad's... has gone down. This isn't just a not good movie - this is a baaaaaad movie. It does have positives, and let's start w/them as always:

• Most of the cast - Will Smith plays himself as Deadshot, but since the point is to make Deadshot a badass that people feel for, he did more than fine; Margot Robbie, accent issues aside, perfectly captured Harley from TAS; Jai Courtney almost stole the show as Captain Boomerang... had he actually gotten something to do; Jay Hernandez was also likeable enough as El Diablo; and Viola Davis... damn she's one scary bitch;
  • All of the characters I mentioned (besides Amanda Waller... who is a bitch, but also a dumbass) work beyond their actors' performances too, all of them bringing the unhingedness that you expect from villains, but also having enough humanity that it's not hard to root for them;
  • El Diablo has the closest thing to a full blown character arc in the film, and while it is ridiculous that he's recruited to the Suicide Squad yet won't do anything... or that he's triggered to finally kill (other) bad guys by being touched in the head..... or that his Final Stage looks like a Vegas showgirl...... I did find what they accomplished w/his character emotionally engaging in a way, so kudos for that;
  • BATFLECK is unsurprisingly awesome in his cameo... though that poorly shot CPR attempt on Harley was a bit awkward, but that's not really his fault;
  • The bar scene, despite having quite some bullshit of its own, shows off the Squad's chemistry enough that it gets a slight pass from me;
  • The 1st act of the movie, when we're being introduced to the Squad (a lot of it through exposition dumps followed by a lot of flashbacks, but introductions nonetheless), is by far the most entertaining one, despite a lot of issues that it does have.

Aaaand that's it. That's about it. Fucking Man Of Steel had a bigger list of positives. NOW, for the fun part, the minus side (and where do I even begin?):

• Enchantress. OMG, what the fuck was that Gods Of Egypt nonsense (both her and her brother), what the fuck was Cara Delevigne doing (I've seen 10 year old girls do better hula dancing than that), and why the fuck was THAT the mission that the Suicide Squad were sent to do? Why in the blue balls hell would you send a guy who's a good shooter, a girl w/a baseball bat, a guy who throws boomerangs really well, a guy w/green makeup who is a good Jaws impersonator, a girl w/a sword and some random dude off the street to fight a world-level threat? Diablo was the only guy who could've feasibly tried to give a fight to some that powerful, and even he looked like a chump next to her. Where in the shit were Batman, Wonder Woman and/or The Flash?! And why did she have to be one of the worst comic book movie villains ever?! WHAT THE FLYING SHITTASTIC HELLFIRE?!?!
  • Joker, almost as a whole, really (although I don't think Jared Leto himself was bad in the role; a better performance for what he was going for than Eisenberg as Luthor for what he was going for there), who was not only almost totally inconsequential in the story, but completely missed the point of the character. Doing different interpretations is fine, as long as you don't lose the aura and the point of the character, and that's what happened here as the Joker was turned into a gangster w/stupid tattoos and plastic teeth who has girlfriend issues all movie long. Some of it was okay, a lot of it was cringeworthy. And while the flashback scenes where we see Joker turning Harleen Quinzel are fine, the consensual love relationship he shares w/Harley in real time is a slap in the face to "the fans" this movie was made for;
  • Amanda Waller shooting random people for a reason that made absolutely no sense, treating the mostly completely unqualified to fight major world scale threats Squad as "the ones to stop the next Superman" because... reasons, and being 100% responsible for the mess the Suicide Squad are being thrown to (that of launching Enchantress to the world and not overseeing her enough)... why is this bitch working for the Government, again?;
  • And speaking of Amanda, how the fuck did she not die after Enchantress raped her Tentacle Hentai-style? WTF was her return, about? Again, that made zero sense;
  • Slipknot. I get that someone had to die Assault On Arkham-style, and I'm all for that, cause, well, YIKES. But wouldn't it have been a lot more effective if they had given his character SOMETHING? LIKE, ANYTHING AT ALL?! He was just there to appear and then die one scene later. They did this to the Russian guy in Assault On Arkham too, but at least that guy had the excuse of being in the movie for the exact same runtime as everybody else on the team (about 4 minutes), so it still came off as a bigger surprise, not to mention the visual of his death was a whole lot more effective. Here, Slipknot appears halfway through the movie for about 3 minutes, and he's dead. It would've worked a whole lot more if he was given anything - make him likeable like Deadshot, people feel sorry for him; make him purposefully unlikeable (which would kinda work, cause he's still a villain), people would laugh and cheer his demise, no matter how predictable it turned out to be. Give him a flashback presentation like everybody else in the Squad (many of them barely, BUT THEY STILL GET IT, AT LEAST), give him more than two lines w/Boomerang in his interactions w/the team, give him SOMETHING. It would work anyway, but not this way, which resulted in a "oh, you're dead now... cool, then" and far from the "OH SHIT" they wanted me to feel like;
  • On that note, the only people in the Squad to get any major spotlight were Deadshot, Harley and to a lesser extent Diablo... Boomerang gets a bunch of funny lines, and nothing else; Katana gets a cool line... from Rick Flag, and nothing else; Killer Croc gets a hammy but explorable line.... and nothing else; Rick Flag is the most boring action hero since White Male from Godzilla, so even if he did get some shine, it was all like a History class to me - a total blur. Even Hawkeye got more development in the 1st Avengers than any of these people;
  • The 2nd and 3rd acts are pretty much blended together...... and they're about as well blended as a grey brick w/a turkey, as both of them just kinda exist inside a long, messy, boring ass suicide mission that completely fails to stand out.... seriously, they made a movie called Suicide Squad fucking BOOOOORING. How the shit can you manage that?!;
  • For an action movie, there's no standout action scene at all (the only decent one I can remember being Deadshot's 1st shootout of the bug eyed minions, but that's about it);
  • The movie feels bare bones, as the lack of many scenes do also make it a bit more incoherent (for example, Ike Barinholtz not getting any comeuppance whatsoever);
  • The CGI/green screen is Godawful, especially for a 175M budget movie.... where the hell did that budget go? Fucking Deadpool had better special effects than this;
  • It looks so dark that sometimes you can barely see what's going on, and its cinematography is pretty bland on a whole for the matter;
  • The soundtrack... well, all of the songs on their own are fine, but when they're blasted at abnormally high volumes over the Goddamn dialogue cause ITZ FUN AND ITZ GOTTA BE LAIKE GUARDIANZ OF THE GALAXEE, not so much.

I'm not sure if that even covers it all, but my God, I hope it just gives you an idea of how bad this movie is. And while, I still think it's arguably "more fun" than Man Of Steel (1st act is, after all legit fun; and the 3rd is just really awful in a 50% upsetting, 50% LOL hilarious way... so it's kinda fun too), and it definitely has better characters (except the villains... not even close), MOS at least (mostly) makes coherent and logical sense from both plot and editing perspectives. And it looks prettier, has more interesting themes, better pacing (unbelievably so, as SS is a lot more fun at its best, but way more boring at its worst), and better action. They're kinda on the same boat for me, but MOS is a somewhat competently put together movie that just has a really rotten core, while Suicide Squad is just awful all around.

No pressure, Diana.

• Like 3