Fancyarcher

Detroit (Kathryn Bigelow directing) (August 4, 2017)

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I do think there's some potential in that nihilism. I'm speaking for myself (as a white guy, which needs to be noted in context) but every liberal drama, from Selma to Children of Men to Hidden Figures to freaking War of the Planet of the Apes, has had an underlying structure: Witness these horrors, but everything is going to be alright. But I think that there's plenty of people, when it comes to this issue specifically and politics generally, that don't feel that way anymore. Maybe everything isn't going to be alright. Maybe we as a people, especially black people, aren't in an inspirational drama, we're in a fucking horror movie. Time will tell if that translates to box office dollars, but yea.

Haven't seen this but Bigelow's previous movies have been more flatly observational than outright nihilistic. I think audiences are open to the idea that we still have these problems and we need to figure out better ways to work them out, but I don't think they really want to hear that the world sucks and there's no hope for any improvement. We need to have something to strive for no matter how unattainable it seems. Indeed, that's generally the only way change is going to occur.

Edited by tribefan695

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

On the downside, box office is likely gonna be very low. It's not really adult-friendly alternative fare (see: The Help, The Butler) or something that can be sold as an event (see: Straight Outta Compton). Even some of the reviews have some form of the "who is the audience for this?" question in them. And it's an August release which allows plenty of time for it to fade.

It always a hard subject to sell anyway. 

Hard to say how the BO will do. It's too early to determine how it's going to be marketed. Early reviews are mixed so that hurts any award hype it could realistically get (unless this year is very weak in the best movie category). Boyega has Star Wars but I'm not sure if American audience will put up with more British actors in American roles. Is his character British or American? The controversy didn't hurt Get Out but this movie may not be as good.

11 hours ago, Harley said:

Hard to say how the BO will do. It's too early to determine how it's going to be marketed. Early reviews are mixed so that hurts any award hype it could realistically get (unless this year is very weak in the best movie category). Boyega has Star Wars but I'm not sure if American audience will put up with more British actors in American roles. Is his character British or American? The controversy didn't hurt Get Out but this movie may not be as good.

I don't think audiences even know he's British

23 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

strange wording there. Ackroyd also shot The Hurt Locker and was nominated for it, why is this an unexpected decision.

the "let him go nuts" part might be key. i found hurt locker's shaky photography pretty subdued but maybe it's really ramped up here.

Opens in 20 theaters tomorrow. Wouldn't read much into a tepid PTA given how last minute the platform release was.

The comparison might seem random at first but I think this is gonna perform similarly to another critically acclaimed early August release from a first-time distributor: 2015's The Gift ($11M opening/$43M total).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

Opens in 20 theaters tomorrow. Wouldn't read much into a tepid PTA given how last minute the platform release was.

The comparison might seem random at first but I think this is gonna perform similarly to another critically acclaimed early August release from a first-time distributor: 2015's The Gift ($11M opening/$43M total).

This is winning BP and BD. take that to the bank. It's THE important movie of the year going against a fantasy (Del Toro), horror (Aronofsky) and sci fi (Payne) among other things. Boxoffice won't matter. Game is over. poeple can deny this fact all they want cause having the oscar race wrapped up so early is boring but that's what it is. It's won. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This is winning BP and BD. take that to the bank. It's THE important movie of the year going against a fantasy (Del Toro), horror (Aronofsky) and sci fi (Payne) among other things. Boxoffice won't matter. Game is over. poeple can deny this fact all they want cause having the oscar race wrapped up so early is boring but that's what it is. It's won. 

It's July. Nothing is a lock.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think The Papers will be the Important movie of the year, the previous 2 early BP winner candidate, with a big advance were Boyhood and La la land, both did loose at the end.

It has been a while since a movie that was predicted to win BP in advance won, who were predicting Birdman, Spotlight or moonlight before there release ? Those who did made a fortune.

I doubt you are believing what you are saying and not just trolling.

If you are serious thought (even just a little bit) you should bet on Detroit, it is giving 14 time your money right now (favorite Dunkirk, Phantom Threads and The paper are below 10)

Bet just $10,000, you will make an easy $140k, if you do not, it is because you know you are just trolling.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It is only July. There are a lot of movies to still open. 

• Like 1