Fancyarcher

Detroit (Kathryn Bigelow directing) (August 4, 2017)

28 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I am seeing this tomorrow I have a screening pass

What is consider false advertising in marketing movies. Since this movie is not the best reviewed movie is that considered false advertisements. 

There is some famous case of false advertising trial against movie marketing, like the Drive movie trailer that you can look at as a reference:

http://publicdocs.courts.mi.gov:81/opinions/final/coa/20131015_c309989_98_309989.opn.pdf#search="Sarah Deming"

Apparently something like a movie trailer is not protected by the first amendment and fall under a commercial speech and can be sued if it misleading like an ad for an other product under many state, for example in Michigan it was under that law:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gjzlgbq3aukhaj2kwqqzjfrm))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-445-903

445.903 Unfair, unconscionable, or deceptive methods, acts, or practices in conduct of trade or commerce; rules; applicability of subsection (1)(hh).

Now I would imagine that the best reviewed movie of the year is in quote and from someone opinion they are citing ? Or shown as a distributor statement ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

There is some famous case of false advertising trial against movie marketing, like the Drive movie trailer that you can look at as a reference:

http://publicdocs.courts.mi.gov:81/opinions/final/coa/20131015_c309989_98_309989.opn.pdf#search="Sarah Deming"

Apparently something like a movie trailer is not protected by the first amendment and fall under a commercial speech and can be sued if it misleading like an ad for an other product under many state, for example in Michigan it was under that law:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gjzlgbq3aukhaj2kwqqzjfrm))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-445-903

445.903 Unfair, unconscionable, or deceptive methods, acts, or practices in conduct of trade or commerce; rules; applicability of subsection (1)(hh).

Now I would imagine that the best reviewed movie of the year is in quote and from someone opinion they are citing ? Or shown as a distributor statement ?

Don't think it was a quote. It was the distributor/studio describing the film as best reviewed of the year and then they said 100% on RT...which it's not even at 100% on there anymore.

But even if it was still at 100% RT, there are a number of other films with stronger average ratings. Call Me By Your Name doesn't have that many reviews so far...but after the same number of reviews, Detroit was not getting the type of masterpiece level praise that "Call Me" is receiving. Baby Driver, Apes, Dunkirk, Big Sick, Ghost Story...all of these films have stronger scores on MetaCritic with a lot more reviews posted than Detroit.

It's getting very good reviews, but there is no need to exaggerate in the marketing like that. "Call Me" is at 98 on MetaCritic and I would guess it stays above 95. Detroit is at 81. Great but not phenomenal reviews. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm not sure if I'm seeing this over the weekend yet. Not because I think it looks bad (quite the opposite, it looks great) but because I'm not sure I want to sit through something this heavy to watch right now.

Grow a pair, you casual. I can't wait to see this Friday.

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm not sure if I'm seeing this over the weekend yet. Not because I think it looks bad (quite the opposite, it looks great) but because I'm not sure I want to sit through something this heavy to watch right now.

I can’t watch this movie. I know about the motel incident and all the material I’ve seen for the film makes me immensely pissed. I just know I’m gonna punch a wall after this movie, I cannot watch it. It does look great though.

I asked my boo, Brandon, if he wanted to see a special screening of Detroit than another movie.

Was reluctant because of how heavy the subject is.

It was, but I am so glad I watched this.

One of the best of the year for sure.

Bigelow is definitely one of my favorites.

• Like 1

I went to see this today.  When the movie started, it was frikkin Dunkirk.  Then they couldn't get the film to work, so they gave us a free ticket and then I went to see Atomic Blond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I went to see this today.  When the movie started, it was frikkin Dunkirk.  Then they couldn't get the film to work, so they gave us a free ticket and then I went to see Atomic Blond.

At least this is rate R. imagine if they did this with the emoji movie and played Detroit instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks great, considering the genre, 89% is excellent score. Call my by your name is an indie experimental movie like boyhood, these get higher ratings

2h 22 min runtime, its an epic.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 2