Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

That One Valerian

Dunkirk Over Saving Private Ryan's Adjusted Gross

39 posts in this topic

:redcapes: 

Yes, I'm being 100% serious with this club.  Want me to elaborate further?

-The fact that a teaser was released a year before release truly shows that WB has confidence that this is a major tentpole.

-Nolan's name has massive draw nowadays.  He can make nearly 3 hour movies into truly huge box office hits.

-A war drama looks like perfect counterprogramming to the action-packed CBM's that usually plague our summer movie season.

-Harry Styles can help bring in not just the adult crowd, but the teenage crowd as well.  Very smart casting choice.

-If this gets great reviews, there's no limit.

So who's in this wildly ambitious and likely impossible club?

3 people like this

Never in a million years no big star, no big battle, no american presence, no chance 

5 people like this

Nope. An ambitious but potentially achievable club would be Dunkirk over Saving Private Ryan DOM and/or WW. I would still be out DOM, but if it's a big hit in Europe it could potentially get to $500m WW.

Sorry, no. I want to be spiritually positive about it but this is just too much

Look at one point I think I predicted over 400M for Interstellar. Nolan has my heart. But... Maybe we so just stick to the unadjusted number.

Yeah Interstellar should've lowered people's expectations on Nolan. Not every of his movie is going to be a major hit like Inception.

If Interstellar, despite being a seemingly much more crowd-pleasing movie than Dunkirk, couldn't even come near Private Ryan's NON-adjusted number, yes we could say the chance of this club winning is next to zero. So, out.

1 person likes this

Hey, I was going to make a non-adjusted gross club for this, i even said so in the movie thread :sadben:

Out. But I can see this beating it unadjusted. It definitely has a feel of a thriller unlike interstellar which was a drama set in space.

Unadjusted, Yes......Adjusted....nah.

Interstellar showed us that not every Nolan-movie can hit $300M DOM......and Interstellar did not even hit $200M. The only non-Batman movie, Nolan made that was closest to $300M but below it....is Inception. And that one had Leo in it. 

Tom Hanks was at the absolute peak of his career in 1998. He was coming off of to Oscar wins and this had Steven Spielberg coming off of Schindler's List. Christopher Nolan is definitely a name that people can get behind but as others have mentioned in this thread there's no huge star in this and no gigantic battle like everybody was excited to see for Saving Private Ryan. I guess this has a chance to do 200 million but in my opinion there's no chance it comes anywhere near Saving Private Ryan adjusted gross.

2 people like this

That'd be like $400 million...

I think it could do $200-250 but I'm not sure about any higher. I had high hopes for Interstellar but as good of a run as it did end up having, it didn't cross $200 million let alone the $350 I predicted.

Nolan definitely has a lot of draw but I'm not sure about that much.

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

...Fuck it. I'll have my heart broken. In!

You're in for over 396m? Steel balls.

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

You're in for over 396m? Steel balls.

One. Yes.

Two. I'm an idiot.

1 person likes this

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:28 PM, That One Guy Has Malaria said:

:redcapes: 

Yes, I'm being 100% serious with this club.  Want me to elaborate further?

-The fact that a teaser was released a year before release truly shows that WB has confidence that this is a major tentpole.

-Nolan's name has massive draw nowadays.  He can make nearly 3 hour movies into truly huge box office hits.

-A war drama looks like perfect counterprogramming to the action-packed CBM's that usually plague our summer movie season.

-Harry Styles can help bring in not just the adult crowd, but the teenage crowd as well.  Very smart casting choice.

-If this gets great reviews, there's no limit.

So who's in this wildly ambitious and likely impossible club?

Out.. Star Power is a big thing that Saving Private Ryan had that this one doesn't, other than Nolan's Goodwill and name...