Eric Duncan

Moonlight l A24 l Plan B l October 21, 2016 l Academy Award Best Picture

It was a serious drama about a gay black man with no big names attached, so it needed to rely upon the Oscar buzz to make any kind of noise at the box office.

...which is a damn shame because the movie is great and everyone should have ran out to see it. :)

Just wanted to point out that even with a bullshit best picture win, this horrible film managed a meagre sub 4 million at the domestic box office after its oscar win.  A deserved somewhat of a failure.  This isn't the worst film to win best picture, but it's not far off.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Just wanted to point out that even with a bullshit best picture win, this horrible film managed a meagre sub 4 million at the domestic box office.  A deserved somewhat of a failure.  This isn't the worst film to win best picture, but it's not far off.

What?

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $27,830,983

Best Picture Oscar winner Moonlight has passed the $50M global mark with a total through Tuesday of $56.1M. The split breaks down to $28.6M international box office and $27.5M domestic for the first picture fully produced and financed by A24 which also led international sales, selling out around the world at last year’s AFM.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just wanted to point out that even with a bullshit best picture win, this horrible film managed a meagre sub 4 million at the domestic box office.  A deserved somewhat of a failure.  This isn't the worst film to win best picture, but it's not far off.

?

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

I wonder what movie you are mistaken Moonlight with while looking at is box office.

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

tumblr_inline_nmyohrK9zm1tov9al_500.gif

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

*Tom Hardy "that's bait" gif*

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

I wonder what prompted this.

Edited by franfar

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not completely sure, but I think he meant grosses after it won or was nominated (too lazy to search lol)

Also I agree, this was overrated :ph34r: 

it didn't break the bank but it was so cheap that yeah, the movie did well all things considered. most indies with a budget like that usually come and go in 100 cinemas or just get a VOD release these days. it's pretty much a win by any measurement. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Not completely sure, but I think he meant grosses after it won or was nominated (too lazy to search lol)

That's a possibility (that would make sense if you change "even with" to "even after"), but even then, it has made $5.6M since the Oscar win.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Also I agree, this was overrated :ph34r: 

Nope (I did check it was my right thought too) for both:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/oscar/chart/?view=fulldetail&yr=2016&catid=1&sort=post&order=DESC&p=.htm

12m post nom, 5.6 post win

• Like 1