cannastop

Is the MPAA off its rocker?

First video focuses on PG, and the second one focuses on PG-13.

I disagree with the first video, as I think that the MPAA was just flat-out wrong in giving G ratings to movies like The Secret of NIMH. I also think there are also quite a few legitimate PG movies released recently.

As for the second, I think the real problem is America's prudishness. The drive to make marketable PG-13 movies rather than unsanitized R movies is driven by advertisers appealing to squeamish audiences. You can't change that just by browbeating the MPAA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

There simply needs to be a new rating between PG-13 and R.  Let's call it MA-15 (Mature Audience 15+).

I doubt it would be popular. The big prestige movies would still be R, and the movies in the new rating would be less marketable.

And there are already 5 ratings. G, PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17. They just need to be used.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I doubt it would be popular. The big prestige movies would still be R, and the movies in the new rating would be less marketable.

And there are already 5 ratings. G, PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17. They just need to be used.

G and PG are completely interchangeable at this point IMO.  I'd say take away PG and just make it G, basically meaning "family movie."  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

We need to drop 2 f-bomb rule. 

Pretty much. It needs to be context-driven instead.

There's no reason why The King's Speech should have been rated R, but the censors must have cried for their parents after the curse therapy scene.

• Like 2

It's always a bit weird for me to hear that films like Finding Dory are "PG", but it's quite likely that's just because I'm used to the Canadian rating system. Technically, each province has its own film review board to rate films, but the ratings used are the same everywhere except Quebec. Films usually receive the same rating in most provinces.

Here are the ratings and their descriptions (from the Wikipedia article):

• G – General Audience – Suitable for all ages.
  • PG – Parental Guidance – Parental guidance advised. There is no age restriction but some material may not be suitable for all children.
  • 14A – 14 Accompaniment – Persons under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
  • 18A – 18 Accompaniment – Persons under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. In the Maritimes & Manitoba, children under the age of 14 are prohibited from viewing the film.
  • R – Restricted – Admittance restricted to people 18 years of age or older.
  • A – Adult – Admittance restricted to people 18 years of age or older. Sole purpose of the film is the portrayal of sexually explicit activity and/or explicit violence.

Recent examples of films in each category:

• G: Zootopia, Finding Dory, Secret Life of Pets, Storks
  • PG: Kubo, Light Between Oceans, Star Trek Beyond, Suicide Squad, Sully
  • 14A: Blair Witch, Don't Breathe, Magnificent Seven, Snowden
  • 18A: Deadpool, Sausage Party
  • R/A: ? (I can't think of any)

Just putting this here for comparison, I'm wondering what those of you used to the MPAA ratings think of it.

On 9/25/2016 at 9:46 PM, 4815162342 said:

There's no reason why The King's Speech should have been rated R, but the censors must have cried for their parents after the curse therapy scene.

Wow. This was rated "PG" in every English-speaking province, and "G" in Quebec.

Edited by Jason

On 9/25/2016 at 7:33 PM, I Am A Walking Curse said:

I have an idea:  Have there be 10 randomly selected adults across the country to watch the movie, kind of like jury duty.  They all assign the movie an age they would let a kid watch it.  Then they get the average age of the age ratings submitted and boom, the rating.

Yes because movie ratings are as important as our criminal justice system

The studios have decided that G turns audiences off, so they don't bother making live-action G-rated movies. (Occasionally, when a movie gets slapped with a G they add in a cuss word or beg to be re-categorized as a PG). There aren't many PG live-action movies anymore either -- that's now almost exclusively directed at animated family movies. And, of course, no studio makes an NC-17 movie. So for all intents and purposes, there are only two ratings for the vast majority of movies, and the line between them is hazy. It's not a very good system at the moment.

• Like 7

Just now, cannastop said:

It's not like the MPAA isn't some bureaucratic nightmare either. If anything having it be like jury duty would simplify things.

There's such a wide range of opinion about what ages are appropriate for anything, though. And aside from having some sort of digitally secure online platform to do it, I can't see how you'd get a broad range of American demographics. Or are you saying it should just be a section of Los Angeles?

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's not like the MPAA isn't some bureaucratic nightmare either. If anything having it be like jury duty would simplify things.

Pretty sure most people hate jury duty. It'd definitely have to be something you sign up for to be a part of. Forcing people to watch movies isn't a good thing to do on a broad scale.

3 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

There's such a wide range of opinion about what ages are appropriate for anything, though. And aside from having some sort of digitally secure online platform to do it, I can't see how you'd get a broad range of American demographics. Or are you saying it should just be a section of Los Angeles?

Well, this isn't going to happen anyways, but...

It could be done in any given city, as it wouldn't require anything more sophisticated than what Cinemascore does.

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Pretty sure most people hate jury duty. It'd definitely have to be something you sign up for to be a part of. Forcing people to watch movies isn't a good thing to do on a broad scale.

I don't think anyone said anything about forcing people to watch movies.