chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

141st - Rise of the Guardians

40pts - 5 votes  (2014: 125th Down 16)

Talking about underrated films...

I really like this film. I Really do not get why the general audience just decided to ignore it completely. The concept is interesting, the voice work is quirky but well done and the villain is dark.

I really wish this had done better financially as it created a world i would be happy to return to. Sadly a decline of 16 places hints that a slow decline into forgotteness is more likely than a glorious rise to cult status for this film.   

• Like 7

I think the problem with Rise of the Guardians is that while it has a lot of great elements, the film as a whole is just kinda weak. This is pretty standard for William Joyce. If you describe what the film is about to me, I'll be nodding along and going "yeah, yeah, that sounds great!" but after watching the film itself, I'm just sorta "it's okay," and other than the base concepts there isn't anything that gets me excited. I wanted to like Guardians and Epic and Meet the Robinsons and Robots a lot more than I actually do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I think the problem with Rise of the Guardians is that while it has a lot of great elements, the film as a whole is just kinda weak. This is pretty standard for William Joyce. If you describe what the film is about to me, I'll be nodding along and going "yeah, yeah, that sounds great!" but after watching the film itself, I'm just sorta "it's okay," and other than the base concepts there isn't anything that gets me excited. I wanted to like Guardians and Epic and Meet the Robinsons and Robots a lot more than I actually do.

I just realized that three different animation studios made movies based on his work. What's up with that?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

So William Joyce is basically the prose writer equivalent of Guillermo Del Toro and Dan Slott? :ph34r:

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, chasmmi said:

145th - Flushed Away

Another claymation film I never managed to see (the premise just never appealed to me), It is clear that this film has maintained fans over the past two years. dropping 14 places with all the big new animations of recent times is almost akin to holding steady I would say.

Just wanted to throw in that it's not claymation at all but pure CGI; Aardman DID design it very similar to a claymation though, in some scenes you can nearly see the fingerprints ^^

• Like 2

140th - Titan A.E

41pts - 3 votes  (2014: 272nd Up 132)

This is a film that I know existed because I remember a newspaper review that alluded that the A.E stood for Auto Erotica.

Seriously that is all I know. To me it is the Bluth Film that chas forgot. It starred Matt Damon right? 2000 was also bang in the period where I stopped watching animation as it was for kids and stupid (Toy Story and Shrek were in the process of proving me wrong). 

I am very excited for the film in 138th because I have actually seen that one :) 

That is a pretty darn impressive increase from 2014 though. 

• Like 6

139th - Fantastic Planet

41pts - 3 votes, 1 top 10  (2014: Unranked Up N/A)

(Clip in spoilers due to giant animated blue nipple) 

Spoiler

From Wikipedia:  Fantastic Planet (French: La Planète sauvage, Czech: Divoká planeta, lit. The Wild Planet) is a 1973 Franco-Czechallegorical cutout stop-motion science fiction film .... yep this is not quite in my area of expertise :)

It is fun to see a film appear on a list from nowhere. It gives me hope that equally left field picks of my own could enter a list one day, (not animations, as I think the most esoteric vote I could make was the old Animated BFG film (only a TV film though sadly) ).

Stop Motion is not exactly my thing a lot of the time, but the clip is there above to hopefully intrigue anyone that may potentially be up for a film like this. 

• Like 9

138th - All Dogs Go To Heaven

41pts - 5 votes,  (2014: 106th Down 32)

Is it bad that this is my second favourite Bluth animation?

This is an animation director who I believe is quoted as saying something along the lines of: 'As long as you give them a happy ending in the final 10 minutes, you can put a child through all the emotional heartbreak and torment you want in a film and it will all end fine.'

Whether that is true, misquoted or outright false, it does seem to ring true of my 80s/90s childhood. Looking back on the films I watched as a young kid (animated and non), it is incredible some of the stuff I was allowed to watch at such a young age.

The thing is though, I loved this film as a child, it was fun, scary, and sad all at once. The journey that Charlie goes on really draws the viewer in and although I may never have seen this film as an adult. Child me is very happy that it is here.  

• Like 10

137th - Frankenweenie

42pts - 4 votes,  (2014: 137th No Change)

So wait, this is a black and white animation or something?

There are four animated films that just blended into one giant mass of a film that I never saw: Coraline, The Corpse Bride, Paranorman and this. In my head this Frankenstein film is a quirky stop-motion affair directed by Tim Burton, Starring Johnny Depp and isn't quite y cup of tea. 

Since that assumption was made I did in fact have to watch Corpse Bride at work and found it to be excellent. Thus I really should get round to giving the other 3 a shot (I am acutely aware that the four films are probably massively different from each other in almost every way) but there is a fickleness to the way I choose what films to watch that I cannot explain. (One reason I never saw this is honest to god because I think that the title sounds stupid.)

Anyhow, ignorance aside, that is another damn charming trailer that really kind of makes me want to see this and who knows. Maybe in two years time, I will be adding a vote to the other 4...

• Like 5

136th - An American Tale: Feivel Goes West

45pts - 5 votes,  (2014: 157th Up 21)

A non-Bluth sequel I know, but it is still tempting to try and claim a 3rd Bluth film in 5 spots. (Shamefully low spots for some though they may be). 

It isn't the original, it's true, but there is still place in my heart for this sequel. The characters are not butchered beyond memory as can happen with animated sequels. It has its own charm and some nice musical set pieces also. 

I am happy to see this film make the list. It would not have managed this two years ago. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

140th - Titan A.E

41pts - 3 votes  (2014: 272nd Up 132)

This is a film that I know existed because I remember a newspaper review that alluded that the A.E stood for Auto Erotica.

Seriously that is all I know. To me it is the Bluth Film that chas forgot. It starred Matt Damon right? 2000 was also bang in the period where I stopped watching animation as it was for kids and stupid (Toy Story and Shrek were in the process of proving me wrong). 

I am very excited for the film in 138th because I have actually seen that one :) 

That is a pretty darn impressive increase from 2014 though. 

I like this film, you get to see animated Matt Damon buttbums in it too. :P

135th - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

46pts - 4 votes,  (2014: 87th Down 48)

So apparently Killing Joke wasn't the first time cartoon Batman was in cinemas...

This is one of those animations that I hear so much about, but have never watched. To be honest outside of Xmen, I never really watched any animated superhero stuff even as a kid. Don't know why. 

I know this film has a cult following and I wonder if the low placing is some assuming it was just a DTV affair. Although it did pretty much bomb at the box office too sadly. 

(I said at the start of this thread I had seen 100 of the top 150 films, well it turns out that almost 80 of those are in the top 100, so this opening 50 is going to be harder for me to comment on that the stuff that follows it.)

• Like 8

134th - A Goofy Movie

46pts - 5 votes,  (2014: 168th Up 34)

One of just 4 Disney animations on this list I haven't seen...

What can I say, as timeless as the Mickey Mouse crew may be, I just considered myself a little too old for Goofy when this was released. I have no idea if I am right or wrong. (I did not realise that this was over 20 years old until just now, but still, 12 year old me was not probably planning to watch Goofy any time soon).

I won't begrudge a Disney legend as Goofy a place on this list, but it is for others to decide where or not it is deserving. 

• Like 9