chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Reveal hidden contents

Good list. More folks need to watch some more Japanese/international animation but most of the Ghibli films have had impressive climbs since 2014 so that's nice :) 

• Like 1

Wow I was pretty sure it would make it to the the top 10 but first? Thats quite surprising. Not that I disagree much. Its a great great film, another one of Pixar's masterpieces. But I'd probably place it somewhere near 15. Except for Toy Story 3 I'd place it below all the other films in the top 11 and a few others from the rest of the list.

The best animated film for me though is easily Grave of the Fireflies. Simply putting it...its a flawless film. The most perfect film I have ever seen, animated or otherwise.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 2

Thanks @chasmmi for your work on the list.

I for one am completely dumbfounded at IO topping the list. All these years I've been so into Frozen being the overrated one, but I guess IO is the one I should be giving that title to instead. It's a good film, but its unique premise is far superior to its execution, which borders on underwhelming for me among high class Pixar. I mean it's nowhere near my top 5 Pixar, I really can't understand #1 out of all animated films. But whatever. TS3 took quite a tumble in recent years here, so we'll see what happens in the future with IO

@lolifofo Dammit man, why didn't you find this in time to make your list! Our opinions aligned way too much it seems. :P

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Can you figure out who had the most and least similar lists to the final tally?

How would you propose doing this? If you do an average absolute difference in rank between lists, the, short lists benefit because there's less variation among the most well-known, well-liked films. I can think of different ways to try and correct for list length, but that can get a bit dicey.

Anyway, among the public lists of full length, the most similar list is MovieMan89's, with an average absolute difference in rank of 28.9. The least similar full list is Films's, with an average absolute difference in rank of 49.5.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

How would you propose doing this? If you do an average absolute difference in rank between lists, the, short lists benefit because there's less variation among the most well-known, well-liked films. I can think of different ways to try and correct for list length, but that can get a bit dicey.

Anyway, among the public lists of full length, the most similar list is MovieMan89's, with an average absolute difference in rank of 28.9. The least similar full list is Films's, with an average absolute difference in rank of 49.5.

Lol, what? :lol: Here I was thinking the rankings were so different from mine. :P

• Like 1

On 19/12/2016 at 8:26 PM, chasmmi said:

8th - Princess Mononoke

395pts - 22 votes, 1 FIRST, 7 top 5, 5 top 10 (2014: 15th: Up 7)

Surprisingly, this film actually led the field on multiple occasions. 

So Princess Mononoke is possibly in my opinion the most epic Ghibli film (of the 6/7 that I have seen). Not necessarily the best (I've already made it clear I am team fireflies in that respect), but the biggest in size and occasion. 

It is also clear that the film has a strong pool of massive fans as its haul of 13 top 10 votes is better only by one other film and equaled by another. Fun fact: The most top 10 votes for a single Pixar film was 11. 

Mononoke is for me, my clear and absolute 4th favourite Ghibli film. There are three that I have seen that rank somewhere between a fair bit better and a lot better and the other three that I have seen are all well below this in quality standard subjectively speaking. I am not shocked to see it place so high though. As already said, it is pretty epic, beautifully drawn and arguably would be the best candidate from the Ghibli back catalogue to attempt a live-action remake of (if you got the right people to make it yadda yadda ya and such).

Re-releasing State side in January for its 20th anniversary; Original Japanese track with subs on Jan 5 and dubbed version with Neil Gaiman's script on Jan 9

• Like 1