chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

133rd - The Good Dinosaur

47pts - 5 votes,  (2014: N/A )

And 17 films in, we finally get to the first film that I have seen... and umm well hated. 

I don't plan to spend 100 lines ripping into the films I don't like, but I also will not pretend to like everything either :). This film to me was stunningly beautiful to look at, but a horrible thematic mess to watch. 

The fact that only one Pixar film ranks lower than this one (I expect most can guess which) means that this will not become as beloved as a lot of the other work from the studio, but it seems there are still enough fans out there to get this film into the bottom end of the list. 

Will be interesting to see if this sinks or swims on a list in a few years once it has had enough time to be either forgotten or reevaluated by audiences.  

• Like 3

132nd - Arthur Christmas

47pts - 5 votes,  (2014: 101st: Down 31)

An imaginative film that was maybe a little more overlooked than it deserved. 

The problem with Christmas films is that well, when it isn't Christmas, there is no rhyme nor reason to watch them. Sure if you have a bunch of film channels on cable at home then I am sure Arthur Christmas is shown 47.8 times over XMas, but outside of that, why watch?

With only 5 votes, I wonder if that is a sign that only 6 or 7 voters saw the films amongst whom it is pretty popular. Or in fact 25 voters have seen it and they just don't consider it anything special. I wonder. 

If it is the former, then it may be worth some consideration if bored in two and a half months time. 

• Like 7

131st - Monster House

48pts - 6 votes,  (2014: 142nd: Up 11)

What are these graphics i don't even...

This is like super early CGI era animation right?... 2006?! It looks like something from about 1996. I will admit thought the trailer was quite funny (was that a Vulva joke) and it's possibly a pretty entertaining affair to watch. I do personally still worry that the visuals will turn me off though. 

Has held steady in the list since 2014 to be fair too.

• Like 4

130th - Meet The Robinsons

48pts - 7 votes,  (2014: 147th: Up 17)

Of the (I think it is 12 or 13) Official Disney animated features that I have not watched, This ranks maybe 3rd or 4th in the list of whether I may give it a try some day or not (2 of the other 2/3 also made the Top 150). 

This came out immediately after Chicken Little and Home on the range which both looked completely hateful films to me and thus the motivation to ever see this was zero (It wouldn't be until I accidentally found myself watching Tangled that I finally brought myself back into the arms of Disney after a Hiatus that began after Tarzan)

It seems to be well received here and coworkers have told me I should see it also, so maybe one day... 

• Like 7

129th - Road to Eldorado

49pts - 5 votes,  (2014: 105th: Down 24th)

Too Low!!! Far Too Low!!!

I do really fear that this is a film that is heading for obscurity in the memories of animation audiences. It came at the crossover from 2D to 3D animation and that hurts it I think. But the film is so much fun I really wish it was better remembered. 

The music is good, the story is fun and the voice acting really suits the characters portrayed. I would like to see more folks give it a shot. 

• Like 10

128th - Winnie The Pooh (2011)

49pts - 6 votes,  (2014: 112th: Down 16th)

There is so much Simpson's type stuff going on in that clip. Feels like Flaming Moe hallucination meets Land of Chocolate. 

Obviously I have seen the original classic Winnie the Pooh film (and a few in between), but I think the newest Pooh film I have seen was The Tigger Movie which this postdates by a fair bit. 

I hope the film did truly capture the spirit of Winnie the Pooh as he is a character that can be enjoyed by all generations. The film has dropped a little since 2014 it seems, but this is possibly not the last time we see a bear with very little brains on this list... 

• Like 7

127th - Cars

50pts - 6 votes,  (2014: 79th: Down 48)

You know, Cars is a lot better than people give it credit for. 

It's not amazing, 127th is about right and it is weaker than most Pixar stuff, but it is still a solid entertaining film. Of course mater needs to be put through a shredder, but outside of that, it is a pretty cool film. 

(Then again I even sort of enjoy the sequel [yes, despite said Mater-ness])

• Like 8

126th - Puss in Boots

51pts - 7 votes,  (2014: 89th: Down 37)

The third best film in the Shrek franchise. 

Puss in Boots was an inspired character addition to the Shrek universe and Banderas is a legend. He really makes the role awesome and this spin off film was a thousand times better than it ever deserved to be. 

In fact I kind of wish we were getting Puss in Boots 2 before Shrek 5. Am a little sad to see the film drop so far since 2014. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

134th - A Goofy Movie

46pts - 5 votes,  (2014: 168th Up 34)

One of just 4 Disney animations on this list I haven't seen...

What can I say, as timeless as the Mickey Mouse crew may be, I just considered myself a little too old for Goofy when this was released. I have no idea if I am right or wrong. (I did not realise that this was over 20 years old until just now, but still, 12 year old me was not probably planning to watch Goofy any time soon).

I won't begrudge a Disney legend as Goofy a place on this list, but it is for others to decide where or not it is deserving. 

I just rewatched A goofy movie for the first time since I was a kid this summer, it holds up surprisingly well, it's super funny, and actually an excellent example of 1990s time capsule film. you really should check it out sometime.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kalo said:

I just rewatched A goofy movie for the first time since I was a kid this summer, it holds up surprisingly well, it's super funny, and actually an excellent example of 1990s time capsule film. you really should check it out sometime.

Yeah it's a lot of fun, and the powerline songs may be among the poppiest and catchiest out of all of the Disney songs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chasmmi said:

132nd - Arthur Christmas

47pts - 5 votes,  (2014: 101st: Down 31)

An imaginative film that was maybe a little more overlooked than it deserved. 

The problem with Christmas films is that well, when it isn't Christmas, there is no rhyme nor reason to watch them. Sure if you have a bunch of film channels on cable at home then I am sure Arthur Christmas is shown 47.8 times over XMas, but outside of that, why watch?

With only 5 votes, I wonder if that is a sign that only 6 or 7 voters saw the films amongst whom it is pretty popular. Or in fact 25 voters have seen it and they just don't consider it anything special. I wonder. 

If it is the former, then it may be worth some consideration if bored in two and a half months time. 

See it.  It's way too low.  It's my favorite Ardmann feature film and I highly rate Chicken Run, Sean The Sheep, & Were-Rabbit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chasmmi said:

126th - Puss in Boots

51pts - 7 votes,  (2014: 89th: Down 37)

The third best film in the Shrek franchise. 

Puss in Boots was an inspired character addition to the Shrek universe and Banderas is a legend. He really makes the role awesome and this spin off film was a thousand times better than it ever deserved to be. 

In fact I kind of wish we were getting Puss in Boots 2 before Shrek 5. Am a little sad to see the film drop so far since 2014.

The only film in the Shrek franchise that made my list.  

• Like 2

125th - The Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki

52pts - 4 votes,  (2014: 110th: Down 15)

oh, there are Japanese animation studios not called Ghibli or Pokemon...

That line is a jest of course, but it is still sadly true that my experience of cinematic Japanese animated feature films starts and ends with Ghibli. I know I should try to change that, but there are so many films out there in the world and many of them are easier to get hold of (legally) than films like this. (Living in Korea, even if it got released it would either be with Korean subtitles or Korean dubbing, neither of which is great for me). 

The animation looks pretty and Japan treats its animation with a respect that not enough non-Japanese studios give them (Korea is horrible for this, some of the best animation studios in the world from a technical skill point of view, yet every film is called something like Bumble's Big Bee Adventure or something). 

The film has dropped a little since the last list, but it still found some love. 

• Like 9

124th - Anastasia

52pts - 6 votes,  (2014: 88th: Down 36)

One of the best Disney animations that Disney never made...

It's pretty impressive voicework that that is not Christopher Lloyd singing isn't it? I actually grew up thinking that this was a Disney film (Same with Swan Princess and Thumbelina), and it possibly is the kind of film that Post Renaissance Disney may have prdocued if Bluth never left them. 

Sure this film is flawed and there are obviously better films to come, but I am happy to get to talk about it here.  

• Like 7

123rd - The Aristocats

53pts - 4 votes, 1 1st place (2014: 143rd: Up 20)

Finally a film has gone up from the previous list. 

This is a 70s film isn't it. A film I watched when I was young but didn't stick with me in the same way that some others did. It's cool, the visuals are good and that song is always fun to watch/hear. (Personally I prefer to see class divide romances starring dogs ;) ) 

This is our first song on the list to receive a 1st place vote (well 1st on a technicality), Animatrix is the only film to get a top vote and finish lower (down in 180th). 

• Like 7

122nd - Yellow Submarine

53pts - 5 votes, (2014: 128th: Up 6)

The best Beatles film ever!!

I love this film, it is crazy, psychedelic and has some of my favourite Beatles songs ever. It is always nice to have silliness in animation and this is one of the silliest animations out there. If you like either the Beatles or zany then give this film a try. 

This film has held very still since the last list which is good for such an old non-Disney film. Good Job Beatles. 

• Like 6

121st - Ducktales: The Movie

54pts - 4 votes, (2014: 151st: Up 30)

Ah Ducktales, the second best Disney cartoon ever after Tailspin. 

I had to double check this was a cinematic film, but yeah it actually got a release. That's pretty cool. I refuse to believe that kids of today get anything as cool as Ducktales on their TVs, it was such a great little show and the feature film tapped into that. 

An increase of 30 places is pretty cool too, especially with the younger slant of members around this site, good to see some classic cartoons getting some love. 

• Like 5