kayumanggi

RESIDENT EVIL: THE FINAL CHAPTER | 285.4 M overseas ● 312.2 M worldwide

9 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

That's also not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is it not true? 

2 weeks ago:

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter added $6.5m this weekend from 58 markets for $110.4m internationally. The film rolls into Russia and Italy next weekend with its final market, China, debuting on February 24.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/fifty-shades-darker-opens-on-100m-international/5114968.article?blocktitle=INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40079

Then last week:

UPDATED: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter added $7m in 57 markets as the international tally shot up to $113.5m. Russia opened on $4.1m and China opens this week.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/fifty-shades-darker-crosses-190m-intl-update/5115175.article?blocktitle=INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40079

• Like 1

Boxofficemojo is definitely crazy. They're saying that The Great Wall has made 129 million worldwide, when it has already made 170 million in China alone, lol.

Regarding Resident Evil, it doesn't matter anymore, now that it has made giant 94 million there. It's a huge sucess and we'll get our Chinese Regeneration! XD

For RE's China BO. I will compare to xXx due to similar genre and release dates.

The holds for weekdays are not that strong.

WoM not as strong as xXx, and also lack of local stars which usually prevent drop . - Curiosity factor and reviews of local A list superstar Donnie Yen literally stealing the show helped xXx with its holds despite La La Land Sing premiering against it.

This weekend Logan might kill it, Lego Batman's WOM should be great as well. I will not be surprised if RE6 ends up less than xXx overall gross in China... despite RE6's opening weekend being 1.5x of xXx.

This weekend's hold is vital!

But no matter what, it is a huge success already! (Last i heard, SGem sold the rights to the chinese distributor and gets 0% of the profits?!)

For RE's China BO. I will compare to xXx due to similar genre and release dates.

WoM not as strong as xXx, and also lack of local stars which usually prevent drop . - Curiosity factor and reviews of local A list superstar Donnie Yen literally stealing the show helped xXx with its holds despite La La Land Sing premiering against it.

This weekend Logan might kill it, Lego Batman's WOM should be great as well. I will not be surprised if RE6 ends up less than xXx overall gross in China... despite RE6's opening weekend being 1.5x of xXx.

But no matter what, it is a huge success already! (Last i heard, SGem sold the rights to the chinese distributor and gets 0% of the profits?!)

RE6 is yet another installment that was saved by the foreign box office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

I think RE's gonna drop hard like a rock since it's more like a scary movie  full of jump scares which I'd never take my parents or any underage to watch.

As for SGem..I think they've already made profits as soon as they sold the rights.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Drake's Deception said:

I think RE's gonna drop hard like a rock since it's more like a scary movie  full of jump scares which I'd never take my parents or any underage to watch.

As for SGem..I think they've already made profits as soon as they sold the rights.

I agree with your opinion. 

Many Hollywood movies are too frontloaded in China's film market.

2 hours ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

RE6 is yet another installment that was saved by the foreign box office.

I think you are looking at it in the wrong way. International box office is a critical part of the box office and why films are made for that budget, especially for a franchise like Resident Evil. RE6 was no more saved by foreign box office than Hidden Figures was saved by domestic box office.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

RE6 has apparently made $6.5M / Y45M today, that seems fine as a hold from $90M opening.

I compared it to xXx. Can you read?

It is one of the most frontloaded hollywood movies so far this year. 200m USD is quite impossible now.

Edited by TigerPaw

I think you are looking at it in the wrong way. International box office is a critical part of the box office and why films are made for that budget, especially for a franchise like Resident Evil. RE6 was no more saved by foreign box office than Hidden Figures was saved by domestic box office.

But without the foreign box office, RE6 would of flopped or underperformed. Luckily, it was a very cheap film by today's standards, so it's a huge success.

41 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, but it was made for that specific reason: because the franchise is a solid performer overseas.

This, some thought at Sony that expecting 50 million domestic was too high and that 35 mm was more realistic. I agree that it is not saved by oversea, it is made by design for the oversea market.

That was about the expectation from the leaked email:

Last one did $35M DBO and the one before $52M.  Should we go lower on DBO – like $35-40M maybe?  If IBO is $100m (ex France, Germany/Austria, Switzerland, Belgium), this should work for the numbers.

As for the budget of 40M, that sound a bit low, maybe it got a surprise exchange rate rebate, but they were aiming at a budget of $50 - $60M in 2014.

and the previous entry were (and maybe that is after removing the pre-sales money from from the budget)

Extinction: 40.5 million

AfterLife: 53.6 million

Retribution: 75.44 million

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 2:04 PM, brian.jensen.507464 said:

Where?

I added up the totals on Box Office Mojo and it added up to $115.6 million so I don't get why the overall total dropped by $7.5 million?

Again this week, the reported total by Sony is supposed to be $211,870,273 up to Sunday but I have it as $213,873,226 and that's only the countries where RE is still in the film charts. I don't get why Sony are under-grossing the film.

Edited by StephenN18

I hope they'll update it with the proper gross as it's missing $7.5 million. It should really be about $289.5 million after this weekend but with the missing gross it will be about $282 million. If Sony don't end up updating it, it may close with less than $300 million!