baumer

Arrival (2016)

Grade it  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I guess that's where we won't agree. IMO weighing the possible outcomes is the bigger moral issue when deciding what knowledge to give.

Personally, if my future wife knew exactly when our child was going to die, I wouldn't want her to tell me regardless of when it would be

Edited by tribefan695

25 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I guess that's where we won't agree. IMO weighing the possible outcomes is the bigger moral issue when deciding what knowledge to give.

Personally, if my future wife knew exactly when our child was going to die, I wouldn't want her to tell me regardless of when it would be

In any event, the movie made it far more problematic compared to the original story. In that story, from what another person has said in either this thread or the film's thread in the BO Discussion thread, the daughter grows to be an adult and dies via a rock-climbing accident (so 1) a far more easily preventable death, and 2) A death that stems from the choices of the daughter, not something that the parents control). There's a whole world of difference between something like that and the case of a child doomed to die from Day 1 via incurable genetic conditions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

They didn't depict anything in connection with that at all, explicitly or implicitly.

It all comes down to a very simple question: If you know something of importance that will affect another person's life, based on a choice that you and that person jointly made, and that by speaking or staying silent you essentially control that part of a person's life as they will make the same choice out of ignorance, whereas you would make it with full knowledge of the consequences, is there a moral obligation to tell that person, so they can make the choice based on their own judgment, rather than you making the choice for them?

I think there is. Louise clearly felt differently.

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

It's not about whether they all win, it's whether you think the other person has the right to know something of that magnitude about how their life will turn out.

As I mentioned, if you see it as being morally unambiguous, that is certainly one way of looking at it. I think it is a lot more ambiguous and uncertain than you suggest. Louise made a choice - any choice she makes will have consequences, for her life, Ian's life, her daughter's life, for the dimension of time. If she had made the choice to tell Ian, that is still a choice, one that is imbued with ethical considerations. What implications does this have for both of their lives? Especially when time is non-linear and their lives are a collection of moments all happening - how radically does that shape the way we view our existence? Choices are then not decisions that cause an end result, but are what weave together a broader collection of moments in time that are always happening. Ian's life is now changed because Louise made the choice to alter it - that certain moments outweigh others, moments they would have experienced it if she hadn't intervened. Thus, what about the moral implications of making the choice to alter what would have happened? Does Louise have a right to do that? Moral or ethical issues are imbued in any choice she makes.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

What an amazing and thought-provoking movie. I had high expectations going into the movie, and the movie surpassed them. Denis Villeneuve did an outstanding job at handling the film. From tense scenes such as the first entry or restrained scenes like the opening, Villeneuve blends every element together to make a cohesive picture. Amy Adams gives a career best performance as Louise Banks. Her performance is never big or bombastic, yet it's human and contained. and provides a character everyone can relate to. Jeremy Renner is also very good as Ian Connolly, providing lightness in necessary moments but never distracting. Johan Johansson also composed his best score to date. Bradford Young's cinematography was beautiful, and I look forward to seeing how he handles Han Solo.

The movie is nothing if the story isn't strong, and Arrival transcends traditional storytelling and reaches new heights. Every new discovery leaves the audience guessing and anticipating what happens next. When the twist comes around, they're taken aback by not just what they're seeing but also piecing together earlier moments from the plot and Louise's flashforwards. Considering that Eric Heisserer wrote of one my least favorite movies of the year, this is redemption for him. 

Arrival is the rare film that I immediately want to watch again. The storytelling is rich, Villeneuve's directing is outstanding, and Amy Adams gives an amazing performance. I really could not have hoped for a better movie than this. A | 9.5/10

• Like 3

Arrival is the best movie I've seen this year. A beautiful celebration of communication and humanity. Amy Adams' performance is extraordinary. It transcends plot twists and concepts that would otherwise be concidered implausible and corny and turns it into something amazing.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Arrival is the best movie I've seen this year. A beautiful celebration of communication and humanity. Amy Adams' performance is extraordinary. It transcends plot twists and concepts that would otherwise be concidered implausible and corny and turns it into something amazing.

Image result for high five gif

• Like 1

On 11/30/2016 at 9:38 AM, La Binoche said:

If she can see the future and what's already happened, why is she scrambling to make sure that it does happen? It's going to happen regardless. 

I also don't like how it opens with her being so depressed at work and with her mom on the phone when she's never had a daughter. She behaves like someone who's lost a child. Major audience manipulation right there. 

Still really liked it but hardly airtight plotting. 

Oh yeah. That is really fucking cheap.

The lesser you know about it the better the experience will be -- dah!

Only knew that the first act would be amazing, the second would be excellent, and the third would feel a bit rushed.
I was therefore surprised when I found that the last act was the only act when I actually was emotionally involved in the movie. The style and THE SOUND(!!!) was excellent throughout, but the first hour was unnecessarily slow and almost to the point of being boring instead of thrilling. But when the third, convulsive, act came along I found myself entertained, thrilled and sad. The ties were not bind, and the plot didn't come to any real conclusion. Maybe it wasn't even supposed to. Who knows. But a film which is supposed to be sad and leave you sad is nonetheless a success. 

B+ Remarkable! 

• Like 1

Watched Arrival Yesterday 80% full pretty good for a movie like this that too in its 3rd weekend! 

To be frank i was expecting Interstellar/Martian type of movie but this is emotionally charged movie yes it has its own moments...i was wrong! 

Visually not that great...but its great considering the budget $46m. Story is pretty much straight forward but it deviates to another aspect which im not gonna reveal it! 

Director did a good job by making this movie right....i was engaged through out the movie..maybe few boring moments in between...this movie could have been a borefest but no it isnt!

Amy Adams was really good though not "so called Breakout" stuff! She deserves accolades for this flick! Jeremy had pretty much nothing to do he was like a filler (This aint a negative) same with Forrest Whittaker!

Loved it!

8/10 

Must watch for Sci-Fi Fans!

• Like 2

Spoiler

So I guess in time as Louise learns more of their language, she'd be able to see farther into the future?

Otherwise ... interesting. Very engrossed, third act did feel a bit rushed out. Amy Adams always seemed like a lovely person - the politest person in Hollywood some would say - but I've never been convinced of her acting in any movie I saw her in (admittedly not ..... great .... ones) until now, so it was a seriously good performance.

• Like 1

I just saw it and I have a Couple of questions for this movie:
1. What did the alien give to humanity as a gift? And why?
2. Why just Amy Adams character ( Louise ) who is the only one that could see the future , considering many scientists that interacts with Alien too?

Please answer this , Thank You [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

@Claudio

Spoiler

1. The gift of their (the heptapods) language. Just for kicks I guess. Species sharing knowledge.

2. I don't think she was the only one, maybe the first one? I thought the Chinese military guy could too, but I could be wrong. Since she was a linguist....hell, maybe she was the only one.

• Like 1

@Claudio

Spoiler 1. The gift of their (the heptapods) language. Just for kicks I guess. Species sharing knowledge.

2. I don't think she was the only one, maybe the first one? I thought the Chinese military guy could too, but I could be wrong. Since she was a linguist....hell, maybe she was the only one.

Hmmm that's becomes clearer for me for the first question. Aliens give humanity a weapon in the form of their language because in the next 3 centuries they would need humanity help. But why they also give Louise a vision for the future? Is it an accident because Louise studies their language which was explained 'beyond time and space' or the Aliens give it to her for some reason??

As for the second , she is totally the only one who has the vision

7 hours ago, Claudio said:

Hmmm that's becomes clearer for me for the first question. Aliens give humanity a weapon in the form of their language because in the next 3 centuries they would need humanity help. But why they also give Louise a vision for the future? Is it an accident because Louise studies their language which was explained 'beyond time and space' or the Aliens give it to her for some reason??

As for the second , she is totally the only one who has the vision

It's because she learns the language that she has the visions.  Knowing the language is what allows her to see the relative future.

• Like 1

It's because she learns the language that she has the visions.  Knowing the language is what allows her to see the relative future.

But why just her who get the vision?? Ian learns the language too but he gets nothing

7 hours ago, Claudio said:

But why just her who get the vision?? Ian learns the language too but he gets nothing

We don't know about others who learned the language, but I don't think Ian actually did.  He helped decipher some, but he never learned it to the point he could actually write/speak it to the Aliens like Louise could.

• Like 3

We don't know about others who learned the language, but I don't think Ian actually did.  He helped decipher some, but he never learned it to the point he could actually write/speak it to the Aliens like Louise could.

Ahh.. That makes sense. Thank you [emoji4]
  • Like 2

My favorite movie of 2016 so far (haven't seen all of the Oscar contenders) and the only movie that I've immediately watched back to back again in the past few years (yay screener!). And that second viewing definitely upped my opinion on this film because it was hard to take everything in at first due to the immersion (the first viewing was still great - especially when it all connects at the end).

While rewatching it, I loved seeing all the little hints thrown throughout after knowing where it was going. It was so brilliantly put together. But yeah the opening scenes are a bit manipulative but I'm willing to forgive Arrival because the end result is so satisfying.

One of the best science fiction films of the past decade (joining Ex Machina, Gravity, Edge Of Tomorrow, Inception & Looper). Can't say enough good things about it. - A+

Edited by somebody85

On 1/7/2017 at 10:58 PM, La La Panda said:

Yeah she learns it quicker then others (which Ian notes) after she puts her hand on the glass the first time. The movie doesn't necessarily spell it all out for you but it's there. That's also when she starts to get the first visions of her future (outside of the opening scene). The heptapods knew well ahead of time that she would be the one who would bring everyone together. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1