baumer

Arrival (2016)

Grade it  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 1/7/2017 at 3:07 PM, Claudio said:

I just saw it and I have a Couple of questions for this movie:
1. What did the alien give to humanity as a gift? And why?
2. Why just Amy Adams character ( Louise ) who is the only one that could see the future , considering many scientists that interacts with Alien too?

Please answer this , Thank You emoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.png

I highly recommend a second viewing if you liked it the first time around. It really helps this movie.

Maybe read one article about some of the questions people have which helps to understand a lot that's going on because it moves fast at times and some of the story is told only be visuals.

Edited by somebody85

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 1:01 AM, somebody85 said:

My favorite movie of 2016 so far (haven't seen all of the Oscar contenders) and the only movie that I've immediately watched back to back again in the past few years (yay screener!). And that second viewing definitely upped my opinion on this film because it was hard to take everything in at first due to the immersion (the first viewing was still great - especially when it all connects at the end).

While rewatching it, I loved seeing all the little hints thrown throughout after knowing where it was going. It was so brilliantly put together. But yeah the opening scenes are a bit manipulative but I'm willing to forgive Arrival because the end result is so satisfying.

One of the best science fiction films of the past decade (joining Ex Machina, Gravity, Edge Of Tomorrow, Inception & Looper). Can't say enough good things about it. - A+

You forgot interstellar, which was a better movie than this

Superior slow-burn sci-fi cinema.  This will piss off the Nolan fanboys, but this is the type of viewing that Nolan was so desperately trying to accomplish with Interstellar.

I couldn't  help but make comparisons with Tarkovsky's Solaris while partaking in the Monday night viewing.  Specifically, both use sci-fi as a background to bring forth ruminations on human nature. Thankfully, both go about their business in different ways, and as viewers we are left with a couple of damn strong offerings of sci-fi cinema.

Twelve spacecrafts appear across the globe.  Linguistics professor Louise Banks (played by sexy lady Amy Adams) is flown to Montana, and given the monumental task of communicating with the visitors. Let the bantering begin, plain and simple.

The film makes note early on that the ships are all in areas that don't typically get lightning, but the real important thing to remember here is that the ships appear in different areas and countries across the globe.  This very fact will drive a great deal of the musings on human nature.

The film goes for a slow-burn style of story execution, and in many ways this is what allows this film to mature in such a special way.  The fear of the unknown is a often-used theme in the sci-fi realm, but here it feels almost tangible.  As time progresses, the humans become more desperate, and eventually distrustful of one another.  The unknown leads to fear, which ultimately leads to hostile acts being taken.

The fact that we as humans are prone to separating and dividing one another into distinct groups is played to big effect here.  As time progresses countries and nations, rather than working together, begin to close up to the outside world.  Such actions ultimately come with potentially devastating consequences.

The most magical aspect of thing film is the fact that the majority of the themes and ruminations don't truly show themselves until the climax of the film.  Granted, human nature does drive the interactions and dynamics between the humans and visitors, and yet it isn't until the credits begin to roll that one begins to grasp just how dense this material is.

I finished this last night, and I'm still overwhelmed by the myriad of directions one can go with it.  It's intensely cerebral, but in ways that continually pop up in one's brain long after the credits have stopped rolling. Above all, the viewing itself is set-up to provoke the viewer into heavy discussion afterward.  One simply can't put forth a bigger compliment when it comes to the sci-fi cinema realm.

It's undeniably dense, but most importantly it might just be fucking brilliant.  

• Like 8

That's easily an A+ for me. It held even better in the second rewatch and I am starting to think that it is an all time favourite for me. The storytelling is extremely rich and you cannot help but get fully invested to it. The pace is slow and the action nonexistent for a big part of the movie but yet, there wasnt a single moment of boredom. It fell so much shorter to me than it actually was. There are so many things fo look at, so many puzzling things and the revelation in the end is absolutely mind boggling.

A movie that you will think about for a long time after watching it. It is outstanding how thought provoking it is and how rich messages it includes. I literally have not a single complain but at the same time I can see how there are people out there who may not enjoy it.

A+ 

10/10

• Like 1