JJ-8

FANTASY BOX OFFICE - 2017 Discussion Thread | Grey Ghost Wins!

2017 Fantasy Box Office Game

Right, 2016 has been banner year for the game with up to 16 players playing through the year (currently we have 10 players still active in some way at the moment).  I understand completely how hard it is to play all year but this game is a lot of fun!

If you are new to the game you can look how the game progressed from this thread below and sub forum we live in.

The 2017 Game is going to treated seperately to the 2016 game HOWEVER, the weekly charts I will put up over January / February will incorporate both takings from 2016 and 2017 but the totals will only count to the respective years depending on when a film opens.  For those of you new here your totals will only include 2017 game totals.  Don't worry i will post the rules in the second post so you can get an understanding of what the current rules are (as they stand in the 2016 game)

Now I also have a few proposals for the 2017 Game - a few changes to try and liven things up and make us invest even more!  

Righto... sign up sign up folks (I will soon move this into the main forum and move the old 2016 thread in the sub forum as the game is starting to wind up anyway.)  I'll see if I can get permission to stickie again for a month or so to drum up new interest.

Fantasy Box Office Game Rules

Official Times

• The time in which all day changes occurs is at Eastern Standard Time (US/Canada) (GMT - 5 hours) Not midnight your local time, but midnight for the East Coast of USA. If you're choosing to invest in a movie being released in exactly one month, make sure the date is as per this. And to be clear, Daylight savings is never applied for this game.
  • I should also note that movies will be available from 7pm the day before (1 month in advance of release) and not be available from 7pm the day before.  This change is due to the sneaks now occurring instead of midnights.

The Winner

• The Game is run over a full year.
  • The Winner is announced normally Late February / Early March of the following year once all results are tallied from the December movies.
  • Various minor awards are given out including:
    • Return On Investment (% Gain / movie - Average)
    • Best Investor ($ Earnt per % spent as a whole)
    • Company Value (Bank Account - Final figure)
    • Highest Weekend (Earnt in a single weekend)
    • Revenue (Total Earnings for the year)
  • Overall Winner is calculated using the above awards.  It is known as "The Geekfreek Award" in honor of the original Game Admin from 2006 when the game first started on BOM.

Bank Accounts

• Each player will have a Bank Account with which they can spend money to invest in movies.
  • Each player will be given starting dollars when they join to begin investing. The value is adjusted each year as appropriate.
  • Current Start Dollars = $100m Start dollars (2017) = 80m

• To invest in a movie, you must have the amount you are investing available in your bank account at the time the investment is made.
  • All the money you earn from your investments will be put into your bank account for you to spend further.
  • If you no longer have enough money to continue with the game, you can claim bankruptcy and your account will automatically be reset and you will start all over with the Current Start Dollars in your bank account. (all previous investments no longer count)

Movies (General)

• Only a film’s PRODUCTION BUDGET will be used for this game.
  • Only a film’s DOMESTIC GROSS will be used for this game.
  • The film's release date will be as per the current US Domestic Release dates (first date whether it's limited or wide) as listed on Box office Mojo.
  • Any film that is due for release in the US can be invested in (including limited release films).
  • Priority for who gets rights to a movie will be on a first come, first serve basis. Unfortunately, that is the only way that it’s possible to run this right now.
  • You may only invest in a movie 1 FULL month before its release date. The date MUST be exact accordance to the current calendar date. For example, if it February 28, you can only invest in films being released on or before March 28. You must wait until March 1 to invest in films being released on March 29, 30 and 31.

Movie Budgets

• Any unknown budgets will be estimated. If no official budget is ever released, the estimate will stand as fact. If the official budget is released at a later time, that will be used instead of the estimate. Any budget changes are final and the player will have to accept them accordingly. The following will used for budgets of unknown movies which no details are available:
    • Action / Thriller = 150m (Big Budget) / 75m (Off Season)
    • Animation (CGI) = 150m (Big Budget) / 100m (Off Season)
    • Animation (2D) = 75m
    • Science Fiction / Fantasy / Comic Book = 175m (Big Budget) / 90m (Off Season)
    • Indie Films = 30m
    • Horror = 20m
    • Comedy = 100m (Big Budget) / 50m (Off Season)

• If and when BOM releases a budget, that budget will become fact except for the following:
    • When BOM's Budget (BB) > the Game Budget (GB) + 20m then the following applies :
    • New GB = BB - ROUNDED(((BB-GB-20)/BB)*(BB-GB-20))

Investment Rules

• The maximum total % available for "normal" films is 200%.
  • The maximum total % available for "Blockbuster" films is 300%. Films will be advised in advance of being available of whether they are a blockbuster or not.  
  • Players can choose to only invest in part or all of a films budget. Players can invest in 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100% of the budget.  I will also allow investments of 25% and 75%. 
  • Players will receive the % of the earnings from the film based upon which % invested in the film. Eg. invested 20%, you will receive 20% of the earnings. 
  • You cannot invest in the same film for than a total of more than 100%. (If you invest 100% of the film’s budget, you can not invest in the film a second time.)
  • The max % available (ABSOLUTE) for ALL films will be 300%.
  • If no investment (ie. no one has invested) is made in the first 24 hours then a film will only have 200% available thereafter.
  • If no investment is made by 2 weeks prior to Release, then max investment will reduce to 100% and the budget is then 75% of the original/final budget.
  • If no investment is made by 1 week prior to Release, then the FINAL budget will be 50% of the original/final budget. 
  • If an investment is made in first 24 hours, but total investments are less than 200% then only films which I have IDENTIFIED prior to being available as films which keep 300% keep the 300% max.  ALL other films will reduce to 200% max automatically.
  • If more than 200% investments are made in the first 24 hours, the max % available will remain at 300%.
  • If more than 300% investments are made in the first 12 hours, the following will apply:
    • Each player will automatically receive a pro rated % based upon the number of investments.  This is calculated as:
      • New max % per player (for this calculation and u will understand in a minute) = 300 / # of investors in film
      • eg. If you original invested 80% and 6 players in total invested you would 80% of 60 or 48% of the film.
    • Now assuming we have investments less than 100% for each investor, a Bidding process will be kicked off by posting your offer on the additional % you missed out on and the amount you are willing to pay.  Remember you can only go back up to the original % invested in.  The best offers will get the % and if there is any left over it will be returned to the game.  To make this clear, I will only accept your first post and you cannot edit it (I am admin here so i can see your edits cheaters!)
      • eg. the following investments are made in the first 12 hours for a 200m budgeted film: (which means 2m/%)
      • Invest 1 = 100%; Invest 2 = 80%; Invest 3 = 40%; Invest 4 = 50%; Invest 5 = 100%
      • I review sometime later in the day and note investment total of 370%.
      • Total Investers in film = 5 so Investment max is 60%.
      • Each investor now will get : Invest 1 = 60%; Invest 2 = 48%; Invest 3 = 24%; Invest 4 = 30%; Invest 5 = 60%
      • A total of 222% is invested in the film leaving a further 78% for investment in the film.
      • BID WAR is started and the following bids are posted:
        • Investor 1 = +40% ~ 120m (3m/%)
        • Investor 3 = +16% ~ 50m (3.125m/%)
        • Investor 5 = +40% ~ 130m (3.25m/%)
        • No other bids are made (i put a 24 hour limit on the bidding process)
      • which means, Investor 5 gets 40% (as the highest bidder) for 130m and Investor 3 gets 16% for 50m and then Investor as the lowest bidder gets the remaining 22% for 66m.
      • overall this means the new breakdown is:
        • Investor 1 = 82% (186m); Investor 2 = 48% (96m); Investor 3 = 40% (98m); Investor 4 = 30% (60m); Investor 5 = 100% (250m)
      • REMEMBER IF NO-ONE BIDS OR ONLY BIDS ON PART OF THE REMAINING, WHATEVER REMAINS AFTER 24 HOURS IS RETURNED TO THE GAME FOR NORMAL INVESTMENTS. AND IT WILL BE BEST IN BEST DRESSED AT THAT POINT.
  • A film is released irrelevant of how much % is invested in total even if only 20% was invested, the film is still released.
  • If you have chosen to invest and decide to cancel ALL or part of your investment (keeping within the normal rules above), the following WILL apply:
    • > 2 Weeks prior to release - 100% of the cancelled amount is returned
    • > 1 Week prior to release - 50% of the cancelled amount is returned
    • < 1 Week prior to release - Nothing will be returned at this point so you should just keep your investment.
  • You can also choose to sell all or part of your investment (following the same rules as above for investments)
    • Once the movie is released you cannot sell your investment
    • The Sale can be in the form of money or swapping for other investments.
    • The amount is up to you - there are no limits and only need to be agreed between all parties involved.
    • Sales involving money will count towards your earnings for the year.
    • If at time of release an on-sold investment has a budget change, then this change will be reflected in the current owners budget. eg. Investor B bought the movie investment worth 40m of investor A for 60m. The budget then increased to 50m. Investor B's final budget equals 70m as a result because investor B paid a premium of 20m to investor A for the investment

Investment Restrictions (applies as you invest more %)

• Your ability to invest is restricted as you invest more in movies over the year. This will be controlled by the total % of films in "Wide Release".
  • A film is consider to be in "Wide Release" when the investment is in > 600 theatres.
    • eg. you have invested 50% in a film which is in 3100 theatres.  For the game your investment is considered to be in 1550 theatres which is in "Wide Release".
    • 2nd eg. you have invested 10% in a film which is in 2500 theatres.  For the game your investment is considered to be in 250 theatres which is in "limited release" and as such is NOT in wide release for the game purposes even though the film itself is in wide release.
  • As in real life, a studio has limited resources to market films and as such is there is a restriction on the amount of films in "Wide Release" in the game.
    • A Studio / Player is allowed a maximum of 300% or the equivalent of 3 Wide Releases at any one time.  The Film MUST be released to count.
  • When a Studio / Player has passed this limit of 300%, that Studio / Player CANNOT invest in a film that is listed as a WIDE release on BOM (either the term WIDE or > 600 forecast theatres)
  • TO BE CLEAR :- you will continue to earn $ from films in limited release as always until the film closes.  This does not change.

I have deliberately crossed out some rules above (and made red) they are replaced now with the new rules (in blue)

• Like 1

Proposal 1 : 

Start dollars (2017) = 80m

Unless there is big outcry i fealt that 100m was too much at the start of this year to begin with so i am reducing the amount you start with to 80m.

Proposal 2:

This new rule replaces the old "Best in Best Served rule" & the max % invested.

• The max % available (ABSOLUTE) for ALL films will be 300%.
  • If no investment (ie. no one has invested) is made in the first 24 hours then a film will only have 200% available thereafter.
  • If no investment is made by 2 weeks prior to Release, then max investment will reduce to 100% and the budget is then 75% of the original/final budget.
  • If no investment is made by 1 week prior to Release, then the FINAL budget will be 50% of the original/final budget. 
  • If an investment is made in first 24 hours, but total investments are less than 200% then only films which I have IDENTIFIED prior to being available as films which keep 300% keep the 300% max.  ALL other films will reduce to 200% max automatically.
  • If more than 200% investments are made in the first 24 hours, the max % available will remain at 300%.
  • If more than 300% investments are made in the first 12 hours, the following will apply:
    • Each player will automatically receive a pro rated % based upon the number of investments.  This is calculated as:
      • New max % per player (for this calculation and u will understand in a minute) = 300 / # of investors in film
      • eg. If you original invested 80% and 6 players in total invested you would 80% of 60 or 48% of the film.
    • Now assuming we have investments less than 100% for each investor, a Bidding process will be kicked off by posting your offer on the additional % you missed out on and the amount you are willing to pay.  Remember you can only go back up to the original % invested in.  The best offers will get the % and if there is any left over it will be returned to the game.  To make this clear, I will only accept your first post and you cannot edit it (I am admin here so i can see your edits cheaters!)
      • eg. the following investments are made in the first 12 hours for a 200m budgeted film: (which means 2m/%)
      • Invest 1 = 100%; Invest 2 = 80%; Invest 3 = 40%; Invest 4 = 50%; Invest 5 = 100%
      • I review sometime later in the day and note investment total of 370%.
      • Total Investers in film = 5 so Investment max is 60%.
      • Each investor now will get : Invest 1 = 60%; Invest 2 = 48%; Invest 3 = 24%; Invest 4 = 30%; Invest 5 = 60%
      • A total of 222% is invested in the film leaving a further 78% for investment in the film.
      • BID WAR is started and the following bids are posted:
        • Investor 1 = +40% ~ 120m (3m/%)
        • Investor 3 = +16% ~ 50m (3.125m/%)
        • Investor 5 = +40% ~ 130m (3.25m/%)
        • No other bids are made (i put a 24 hour limit on the bidding process)
      • which means, Investor 5 gets 40% (as the highest bidder) for 130m and Investor 3 gets 16% for 50m and then Investor as the lowest bidder gets the remaining 22% for 66m.
      • overall this means the new breakdown is:
        • Investor 1 = 82% (186m); Investor 2 = 48% (96m); Investor 3 = 40% (98m); Investor 4 = 30% (60m); Investor 5 = 100% (250m)
      • REMEMBER IF NO-ONE BIDS OR ONLY BIDS ON PART OF THE REMAINING, WHATEVER REMAINS AFTER 24 HOURS IS RETURNED TO THE GAME FOR NORMAL INVESTMENTS. AND IT WILL BE BEST IN BEST DRESSED AT THAT POINT.
  • Like 4

If you think the rule above is too complicated, please advise and see if we could simplify.  

Basic idea is 2 fold

1. to get people investing in films that you wouldn't nesecarily go for on their current budgets.  ( I should note, this rule will only apply to WIDE releases)... limited releases aren't expected to fall under this process.

2. fix the issue around best in best served for very popular films.  not sure if it solves everything but hopefully makes it a little fairer given we all work in different timezones.

• Like 2

Current Active Players: (either currently investing or still have active investments)

@Exxdee, @Simionski, @grey ghost, @chasmmi, @DAJK, @CJohn, @BourneFan #1, @lucasbenica

Others who either indicated interest this year or have played:

@WrathOfHan, @Wrath, @Alfred Fubar, @Ethan Hunt, @megaboxoffice, @glassfairy, @townzy89, @Jayhawk, @That One Guy, @sakskidz, @Gokai Red

2017 Sign up thread is this....  Also if you are playing are ok with the changes noted above?  

(I will shortly be posting the movies to be released in January......)

• Like 2

FYI :-

First movies will be available from 6thDecember for a 6th January 2017 release

(I'm listing only wide releases here

6th January 2017 - Amityville: The Awakening  - 20m

6th January 2017 - Underworld: Blood Wars ~ 50m?

13th January 2017 - The Bye Bye Man - 6m

13th January 2017 - Monster Trucks - 125m

13th January 2017 - Sleepless ~ 50m

20th January 2017 - The Founder - 7m

20th January 2017 - The Resurrection of Gavin Stone - 2m

20th January 2017 - Split - 10m ?

20th January 2017 - xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - 70m

27th January 2017 - Bastards (2016) - 40m ?

27th January 2017 - A Dog's Purpose - 30m ?

27th January 2017 - Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - 60m ?

EDIT - Fences / Gold release date is 25/12/16 so part of the 2016 game

• Like 2

Right Sign up list : 

2016 Active Players :-

2016 Players who stopped investing but did play extensively during the year :-

New 2017 Players Sign up list (Welcome to the Game)

First movie will be available from 5th December 7pm EST (Daylight Savings DO NOT Apply)  (for a 6th January 2017 Release of course)

EDIT - I have updated the 2nd post with the updated COMPLETE RULES!

• Like 3

2016 Thread has been updated also (it's now located back in the games forum.

Nearly all of 2016 films (wide or limited are taken now.... not much left)

so far in 2017, 1 wide release  (Amityville) is all gone (took longer than 24 hours  to disappear so 200% is it).  Underworld still has availability though :P

GAME ON!

:ohmyzod::giggle::bravo: