Ezen Baklattan

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Months later, and this score still sticks with me. It's beautiful. You emphasize with the main characters and at least understand the antagonists. New Zealand is beautiful, and the cinematography shows that very well. You can complain that it gets meandering but that's the point of the travels. A

• Like 1

Didn't realise that this thread showed up. About damn time. :lol:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a great movie. The cast work well together and the cinematography is beautiful (definitely enhanced by how beautiful New Zealand is). Sam Neil is great, and Julian Dennison does an excellent job as Ricky. The only character I wasn't huge on was Rhys Darby, but I don't think that was enough to drag the film down. He wasn't bad but I personally think he was a little bit out of place. I'm not sure how well this translates overseas, but it definitely felt very NZ-ish; which makes sense, since it was an NZ production through and through. The laid-back tone definitely reflects a lot of NZ culture. Taika Waititi is one of my favourite filmmakers, and this really continues his winning streak after Boy and What We Do In the Shadows. His sense of humor shines through the film, but it also deals with the more serious aspects in a touching way.

A fun fact about the production is that a decent portion of it was actually shot in the Waitakere Ranges, which is where I live (and Taika apparently lives like half an hour down the road). If I walked outside there's a forest that looks a lot like those in the movie. Which is pretty neat.

Spoiler

Just outside the room I sat in writing this!

UlGTw5Q.jpg

Overall, I'd give Hunt for the Wilderpeople an A+

• Like 5

I really enjoyed this. Found it very funny, and I'm someone with a bit of a picky sense of humour. Was also very touching. Also, makes me want to visit New Zealand even more than Lord of the Rings did. One of my favourites of 2016. A

Also, don't know where else to post this, couldn't find a domestic thread:

• Like 8

"I didn't choose the Skux life...The Skux life chose me!"

Waititi is cementing his catalogue with this refreshing gem of a comedy by following the sneakers steps of a "real bad egg" aka Ricky Baker, a chubby 13 tears old juvenile delinquent of Maori descent running away from children foster care services that want to put him back into "Juve" (crystallized into an hilarious female agent that sees herself as the Terminator tracking Sarah Connor "before she could do chin-ups" she adds) with his reluctant adoptive uncle Hec, played by Sam Neill.(who much like Dr Grant has no use for brats except he's not digging up dinosaurs bones but dabbles as an old farmer in the NZ bush with his big hearted wife). The old "Grumpy Man of the Wild vs Bratty Kid from the city" opposition/contrast-only-to-bound-overcoming-their-drifts is the source of many laughs and also melancholic reflections (Ricky talking about his biological mom or one of his foster care "friend". Hec's past and illetrism) during their journey wandering like 2 Wildebeests into the beautiful wild landscapes of NZ looking out for a family while the whole country is looking after those two misfits.

On sheer surface, Waititi exhibits a lot of visual and writing absurdist quirks of a NZ Wes Anderson but it never feels artificial like an entomologist or a taxidermist making absurdist plays with his puppets trapped into carefully crafted miniatures environment and vintage chromo furnitures. It's lively (the characters are colourful but all seem pretty grounded except maybe for the jarring appearance of Psycho Sam that feels more like a cartoon compared to the 3 dimensional tragi-comic protagonists), those natural NZ vistas are drop dead gorgeous, all of this provide its own voice. Waititi has a knack of juggling tone that harkens to some korean directors like Bong Joon-Oh that manages to blend comedy, drama and action in the span of a scene effortlessly. Lot of heart, touching moments, hilarious moments (Waititi's cameo, "SHIT JUST GOT REAL...AGAIN!").

The soundtrack made of synth pop composed by Moniker and classics (like Nina Simone's Sinnerman and Leonard Cohen's The Partisan) also contributes to the contrast aspect, turning this adaption of a children book by author Barry Crump into an unique mixture of offbeat touches blended with familiar tropes reminiscent of Roald Dahl. Maybe that exquisite NZ flavor that the movie exudes through and through with breezing charm.

"Majestical"

A.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 9

My favorite character detail in this is that Rachel House's character really wants to see herself as the action hero of the story because it's a temporary escape from her boring life, it's exactly the same deal as with Ricky and his "this was just like The Lord of the Rings" moment (and btw when he sees the teenage girl on the horse it's such a perfect affectionate parody of Arwen) and being overjoyed when he gets to be a part of a car chase. But as many laughs as the movie gets out of this, it doesn't turn her into a walking joke - when everything's over and her deputy flat-out states something to the effect of "this isn't a movie anymore", she has that disappointed, sad look on her face that's legitimately affecting. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 8

46 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

My favorite character detail in this is that Rachel House's character really wants to see herself as the action hero of the story because it's a temporary escape from her boring life, it's exactly the same deal as with Ricky and his "this was just like The Lord of the Rings" moment (and btw when he sees the teenage girl on the horse it's such a perfect affectionate parody of Arwen) and being overjoyed when he gets to be a part of a car chase. But as many laughs as the movie gets out of this, it doesn't turn her into a walking joke - when everything's over and her deputy flat-out states something to the effect of "this isn't a movie anymore", she has that disappointed, sad look on her face that's legitimately affecting. 

"No child left behind".

(Yeah, she's in over her head but that passing look expressed how pathetic and disturbed she is underneath that "tough bitch" attitude self-aggrandizing her mundane existence, ironically more overzealous in hunting children like herd instead of genuinely caring for and protecting them, everyone around her, except for her dense local partner, picked on that delusional aspect of her personality).

• Like 6

On 1/18/2017 at 9:35 AM, JohnnyGossamer said:

Who are the two soulless jerks that gave this one less than an A?

Kidding of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion... Even if it's wrong.

PS - I see another B was added since I posted this... Jerk.

Image result for that man is me

(One of the original ones, that is)

I gave it a B+ if it helps :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a very sweet movie. Waititi directs with a magical touch that never forgets how important the two leads' bond is to giving the film the heart it needs. A very funny film that's not afraid to get heartfelt, Neill and Dennison shine with performances that resound strongly throughout the dramatic-comedic spectrum. The editing team is also worth noticing, as the editing in this film is always fun, either accenting dramatic moments or making silly moments even more fun. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a massive improvement for Waititi, and one of the most fun films of 2016. Definitely worth seeking out. B+

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a very sweet movie. Waititi directs with a magical touch that never forgets how important the two leads' bond is to giving the film the heart it needs. A very funny film that's not afraid to get heartfelt, Neill and Dennison shine with performances that resound strongly throughout the dramatic-comedic spectrum. The editing team is also worth noticing, as the editing in this film is always fun, either accenting dramatic moments or making silly moments even more fun. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a massive improvement for Waititi, and one of the most fun films of 2016. Definitely worth seeking out. B+

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

So I guess @Blankments is now also dead to @AABATTERY.

Blankments you wanker

You arsehole, I hate you heaps

Please die soon, in pain.

• Like 3