edroger3

Your Name

Your Name (Japan 2016) 

2zrjdde.jpg

IMDB page

Release date info

English site

After the successful Chinese release is almost certain that Your Name will become the highest grossing anime movie ever worldwide. In fact, correct me if i'm in wrong, Spirited Away still leads with 274,92M$ (BOM page) while the Makoto Shinkai's masterpiece has collected 243,1M$ as at Sunday 12/04 according to ComScore/Rentrak, but is playing in seven market including China and Japan and others are coming soon in Asia and Europe. So I think is time that it has its own movie thread.

• Like 4

Just now, cannastop said:

I'm not even sure it's getting a wide release in the USA.

It's getting a limited release in the U.S and if it does well during the limited release then I'm sure they'll gradually expand the theater count.  I'm hoping it does get a wide release date.  Such a great film.  An Oscar nomination is also surely going to push it past 25 billion yen and a win... that could propel it towards Spirited Away numbers in Japan and a guaranteed wide release. 

24 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

It's getting a limited release in the U.S and if it does well during the limited release then I'm sure they'll gradually expand the theater count.  I'm hoping it does get a wide release date.  Such a great film.  An Oscar nomination is also surely going to push it past 25 billion yen and a win... that could propel it towards Spirited Away numbers in Japan and a guaranteed wide release. 

Even with an Oscar nomination, I doubt it will get a truly wide release. Ghibli never had much success at the North American box office, and I don't see how Your Name will do better.

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This film was good but I have no idea why MAL rates it 9.38/10. For perspective Spirited Away is rated 8.93 and Princess Mononoke is rated 8.81.

I enjoyed it a lot more than both of those. If I had to guess it would be its emotional resonance with most people. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are magical but there are never moments in the those films where I felt emotionally invested.

3 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

I enjoyed it a lot more than both of those. If I had to guess it would be its emotional resonance with most people. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are magical but there are never moments in the those films where I felt emotionally invested.

Opposite for me! Spirited Away especially it's wonderful.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This film was good but I have no idea why MAL rates it 9.38/10. For perspective Spirited Away is rated 8.93 and Princess Mononoke is rated 8.81.

I haven't paid attention to ratings on MAL, but user ratings on RT and IMDb have a tendency to fall somewhat after initial release, which makes sense since the most enthusiastic viewers are likely to rate it first.

After the weekend in Australia.

10 2 YOUR NAME (PG), MADMAN [42/ $4,113] 172,725 -51%

Spirited Away.  It doesn't show up the following weekend.

12 2 SPIRITED AWAY [30 / $3,733 ] 111,988 -18%

I'm not sure what the highest grossing anime is in Australia.  Looks like it's already made more then Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1