Grade It:  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

With La La Land you have another traditionally MGM musical that homages the dominant musical era of Gene Kelly. The film’s musical styling and dancing sequences combine nearly every Gene Kelly film varying from Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, and Anchors Aweigh by bringing it to our 21st-century modern day era with a narrative similar to 500 Days of Summer. While doing it it isn’t in your face about it and when it is it has a strong statement to say of musicians of today wanting to live in the past when the future is always changing. The film has an ideology for music that feels that arguably applies to film. It states the cooperate issues in the industry that affects the people that work in it in order to capture the idea of “The American Dream.”

From the opening number, you’re engaged in this colorfully vibrant musical with upbeat numbers that get into your head. Chazelle has this direction of where he has his characters in these settings that are taken to its advantage. With every set piece, there is a new musical or dancing sequence around the corner waiting to astonish you. The music in the film is outstanding with original tracks that are catchy and sweet with a jazzy soul and melody. Justin Hurwitz brings a magnificent score that will not only put him on the map outside his buddy Chazelle's films but also earn him an Academy Award for Best Original Score nomination.

As much it is Chazelle’s direction that powers the film, it is the chemistry of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone that ties it all together. These two have been each other’s love interests in 3 movies now where one’s performance brings out the best in the other. They have so much chemistry that even Chazelle subtly makes a joke of it in the film. If they keep this up they are going to become a much more iconic duo than Johnny Depp and Helena Boham Carter. I am convinced that you can put them in any movie and most likely it’ll work. If Disney decides to make a live action adaption of any given animated film like Zootopia, cast them as the leads, and it’ll work. Their bond is the definition of the word “cute.” They display the genuine emotion of affection that is believable. No scenes sexual innuendos or intercourse to manipulate your believability of their love because their songs and dance sequences are all that is needed to accomplish the heart and emotion.

They have their own signature song that gives them their own Oscar winning performance. With Gosling is City of Stars (which I'm calling the Best Original Song of 2016) and with Emma Stone is Audition (The Fools Who Dream). As much as I love City of Stars, The Fools Who Dream works perfectly with Stone's performance. With that musical performance the visuals has her in the spotlight as she's singing her butt off in the same way Anne Hathaway did in Les Miz. And you know what? That film got her an Oscar for that one song and The Fools Who Dream gives Stone that Oscar winning moment Hathaway had in Les Miz.

With amazing visuals and outstanding performances from Stone and Gosling, Damian Chazelle’s La La Land isn’t only a musical that homages traditional ones of the past but also has the longevity to last a lifetime.

FULL REVIEW: http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//la-la-land-review

Rating: 5/5 | 97%

• Like 1

Won tickets to see an advance screening for this tonight after eagerly anticipating it for months on end, and it completely lives up to the hype. Damien Chazelle has expanded on the promise he showed with Whiplash here, and in a way, La La Land feels like a natural follow-up with its themes of ambition. The movie is a marriage of color (the movie is a cinematography lover's wet dream), song, and fantasy that serves as a magical love letter to both Los Angeles and a time when Hollywood made movies they seldom do anymore while also very much creating a new classic of its own. This is very much a two-hander between Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, and both actors are more than up to the challenge and deliver bonafide "movie star" performances that make Sebastian and Mia one of the more endearing movie couples in history. These two have so much chemistry with each other that it should be written into their contracts that they appear together in every movie they sign on for going forward. Gosling, continuing to show off his considerable charisma that has been mostly suppressed by the stoic parts he's taken on for the better part of the last several years, has probably never been better and proves surprisingly capable of carrying a tune. But the heart of La La Land is Stone, who has been a favorite of mine for years now, who gives Mia the vulnerability and likability that makes her easy to root for. The actress has never been more luminescent, and her final number ("Audition") recalls Jennifer Hudson's "And I Am Telling You, I'm Not Going" in Dreamgirls and Anne Hathaway's "I Dreamed a Dream" in Les Miserables in that this could very well be her ticket to an Oscar. This is a total crowdpleaser that will make all of the money, and I will definitely be seeing it at some point again over the holidays. A

• Like 2

On 2016. 12. 7. at 1:39 PM, rjones1325 said:

As much it is Chazelle’s direction that powers the film, it is the chemistry of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone that ties it all together. I am convinced that you can put them in any movie and most likely it’ll work. If Disney decides to make a live action adaption of any given animated film like Zootopia, cast them as the leads, and it’ll work. 

On 2016. 12. 7. at 10:06 PM, cannastop said:

:huh:

I do kinda see Gosling's Nick and Stone's Judy exchanging banters :lol:

one thing I particularly loved about this movie was how it remained precisely where it should be, never falling into the trap of self-pity and being too melancholy or sentimental than necessary. Chazelle allowed enough breathing room and the right distance between the characters and the audience, otherwise it would've been way too gooey and somewhat annoying. Especially so since it's also a love story about two Hollywood archetypes being drawn to each other's dream and passion as much as it's an homage to the classic Hollywood and the great art forms that are musical and jazz. So given the materials, there was hardly any narcissism or condescension to be found, it was aware of itself just in the right way and I think that was a very smart decision and a directorial achievement. 

Even the last "what if" fantasy sequence showed very realistic POV where Chazelle seems to understand while it all could've been, but never actually would've been that way.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 2

It's sooooo goooooooood. Everything is so god damn delightful in this movie.

Damien Chazelle knocks it out of the park. Whiplash was probably my favourite film of 2014, so La La Land has been on my hype radar since I first heard about it and it does not disappoint. The music is perfect, the acting is charming, the story is lovely and the direction is impeccable. There's not much else for me to say here. It's definitely my favourite movie this year, and I'd be shocked to see anything top it (Manchester and Moonlight haven't come out yet here but maybe they have a shot).

So yeah. Was okay I guess. It gets an A+ from me.

• Like 2

So I've gone the whole year waiting for something to blow me away, there've been a few gems that I really liked, but nothing got me out of my seat applauding and wanting to sit back down and watch it again.  Until now.

I adored this movie, it was flawless, I was feeling down and it uplifted me, it transported me leaving me tapping my foot with joy.  As a classical musician who gave up chasing a dream, in pursuit of something more "normal", and it spoke straight to my heart.  Now don't get me wrong, I love academics as well, but it lit a spark and left me floating.

Now the movie itself was set up in an incredible way, an homage to the classics while being something entirely new.  It was jazz piece in the form of cinema.  Instead of playing the trumpet or the keys, Chazelle played the camera and made something wonderful.  Something gorgeous.

The cinematography was colorful with purpose, and really gave the movie life.  Mixed with one of the best movie scores of the decade, and ear-catching tunes and themes.  

Gosling and Stone gave incredible performances, and left me with no complaints.  And oh my gosh, Audition left me mesmerized with how powerful it was done.  Give Emma the Oscar now please.

The story played out traditionally, with a mix of the modern, ending with one of the most moving montages that's been in a movie since the beginning of Up.  My heart was shattered and pieced together all at once.

Maybe my enthusiasm about this is going to end up spoiling the results of my top movies of 2016 thread coming this December 30th (I know, I should stop with the product placement) but I don't care.  Loved, loved, loved this movie.  This isn't just a gem from a rough year, it's a musical masterpiece.

A FUCKING PLUS FOR LA LA LAND

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

When they float up into the Stars I was like DAMNNNNNNN you got me. 

A- (90) for now, we'll see after a second viewing, I was kinda distracted because i saw this with a girl I like and want to date hahah

:lol:

This really is the perfect date movie, though.

• Like 1

Phenomenal. Somewhere between Umbrellas of Cherbourg, New York New York and American in Paris, yet unmistakably from the same mind who gave us Whiplash, a film with a similarly delightful moral quandary about being an artist at its center. The music works, the performances work, everything works.

• Like 3

I wasn't really feeling it during the first half. But then it underwent a tonal shift and clicked for me. I still have my issues with it, the main one being that their relationship ultimately doesn't end up feeling all that special. They just go "we have jobs now" and call it quits. So when she has her big teary-eyed "what if" scene at the end, it doesn't feel earned. You didn't even try to make it work!

The movie also feels inconsistent as a musical, with long stretches that contain no musical numbers (though I didn't mind because I don't particularly care for musicals). 

That being said I was engaged throughout, especially in the second half where it ends up being darker and bolder than expected. 

B+

• Like 2

Thoughts the next morning: I guess my issue is that the movie goes "ah you were expecting a happy ending because of all the colorful, ebullient musical numbers? THINK AGAIN!" It's so eager to pull the rug out from under you with its "unexpected" ending that it doesn't stop to think whether that ending feels earned or makes sense. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, La Binoche said:

It's so eager to pull the rug out from under you with its "unexpected" ending that it doesn't stop to think whether that ending feels earned or makes sense. 

Imo the ending's super clear. Both of them propel each other to success and their success naturally splits them into different worlds. The version of their lives we see in the final montage where they end up together results in Seb giving up his dreams - it's somebody else at his piano. Their final glances towards each other acknowledge this reality and bittersweetly accept it. Emotionally it's almost beat-for-beat the ending of Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Chazelle's favorite movie.

• Like 3