Plain Old Tele

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Finally saw it yesterday. It was a bit slow in the beginning but towards the end it became the perfect film to finish off 2016 with. I was truly sad at the ending. I knew it was inevitable due to the dialogue from a new hope that references Rogue Ones actions but now whenever i will see that scene i will feel and know their sacrifice. The ending was truly beautiful. 

As for Vaders final scene....goosebumps. Tarkin was well done as was leia. It was evident that they were both CGI but who cares. 

B+

• Like 1

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is a fascinating beast. It is easy to see the film's flaws, but only upon comparison. Compared to The Force Awakens, the characters are deeply underdeveloped. Compared to the original trilogy, the sense of fun and adventure is completely gone. Compared to the third act, the first two acts of the film are dull and a slog.

Yet, it's still a Star Wars movie. It's still cool to meet new characters like Tudyk's K2-SO or Yen's Chirrut, it still has phenomenal action sequences that are a joy to watch, even if they lack the traditional fun of Star Wars, and the first two acts still have really enthralling sequences and take audiences to places they've never seen in this universe. It's still exciting and full of wonder.

The cast is by and large forgettable yet serviceable. Outside of Tudyk and Yen, the only memorable new character is Ben Mendelsohn's Krennic, a delightfully hammy villain with a really cool cape. The effects are stellar throughout, although the ethical implications of a certain CGI character still is slightly bothersome. Giacchino's score is as good as a traditional non-Williams score could be for this franchise, but one wishes that it might've been more experimental for this side-story. Still, it more than anything carries the first two acts, which might sound like an insult, but really it's just a good score.

Then the third act kicks in, and wow. A brilliantly orchestrated series of sub-sequences that constantly excites and keeps you on the edge of your seat. This is where Rogue One shines, where you realize that despite their underdevelopment, you care for these characters deeply. In addition to be a technical showcase and thrilling setpiece, it's emotional in a way unexpected from any blockbuster. The emotion continues to the admittedly fan-service-filled epilogue, when the film ties in perfectly with the first time audiences ever journey to this galaxy far, far away.

Rogue One is different from any other Star Wars movie, and that should be commended. Although it's certainly not the best the franchise has to offer, it still is an essential blockbuster, with incredible action sequences, stunning imagery, and a surprisingly big heart. If this what A Star Wars Story looks like, having them co-exist with the Episodes is fine by me. B

• Like 2

The score is great. It has three new themes, and one is kind of an instant classic. 

I  have seen it twice and the movie is really growing on me. I apreciate the risks taken, the thonal changes, the efforts during post production. It features an outstanding and creative space battle sequence. And the Death Star is at last the menacing threat it was supposed to be.

Best cinematic experience for me this year. A

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stripe said:

The score is great. It has three new themes, and one is kind of an instant classic. 

I  have seen it twice and the movie is really growing on me. I apreciate the risks taken, the thonal changes, the efforts during post production. It features an outstanding and creative space battle sequence. And the Death Star is at last the menacing threat it was supposed to be.

Best cinematic experience for me this year. A

Which one? Imperial Suite?

I loved this part with the title reveal:

Edited by misafeco

3 hours ago, misafeco said:

Which one? Imperial Suite?

I loved this part with the title reveal:

I think its terrible. Its so bad. Least favorite in the film. The 5 times this theme comes up in the movie it takes me right out. Its cheesy, its not star wars, its not the music that should play when a star destroyer gets leveled. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

I think the theme needed to be developed more. The Alliance could use a martial theme to counteract the Imps.

We do have a good'un though for the ST with the Resistance March.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2016 at 3:53 PM, ShouldIBeHere said:

Hmmm... the first hour really is not much fun to sit through, at least for someone not too much of a SW fan.

But I found the last hour to be pretty spectacular. And the cinematography and set design were among the most amazing of the year.

Biggest pros: acting, cinematography, CGI, set design, action of the final act, great transition into ANH. I also liked that they finally really reacted to the destruction caused by the Death Star while the destruction of Alderaan and several planets in TFA seemed like mere side-notes. I also liked that they did not make any compromises and killed off all of the characters in the end.

Biggest cons: exposition, too many characters you do not know or care about enough, therefore, the emotional impact does not work as well, music (too loud and pompous in too many scenes that simply do not need such orchestration), I hated the new droid, as well as the cameo of C3PO and R2D2.

7/10

(What I really do not understand is when I read people talking about how "deep" RO is and that it has so many analogies to terrorism or even Aleppo. Come on. It showed war more as war than all the other SW movies, which was good. But nothing more than that.)

Yea, that's ridiculous.

The only blockbuster I would say has analogies to Aleppo would be MJ2

• Like 1

saw it but missed the beginning and had to sit up front so who knows , i plan on seeing it again to see if it was circumstances or movie experience that warrants my B 

anyhoo it was ok i thought story was pretty straighforward point was to get those plans that princess leia has in beginning of original trilogy , so pretty tight from there as to execution i'm also going to wait to see how i feel on second viewing .***

TBD...

• Like 1

Finally got around to seeing this (and in a renovated theater with "luxury lounge chairs" which might get me back to theater more than 2-3 times a year) and I thought it was highly enjoyable and just slightly ahead of Episode 7, however Daisy Ridley > Felicity Jones even though Jones did a great job.

***¾/*****, (B+, 7.7/10, 3/4)

We finally got a chance to see this at new years. My wife is the Star Wars fanatic but I enjoyed it - loved how it tied right into A New Hope and it makes me curious to see if they can develop more films in the "between" since I think that is a particularly fascinating time period to explore.

Solid B

• Like 1

I'd probably change my grade from an A- to a B+ probably. It's still very good but the more I think about it, a lot of the characterization is pretty weak. The main leads (Jyn and Cassian) are pretty meh and very uninteresting characters. I honestly liked the side characters a lot more, like Chirrut, K-2SO, and the main villain. I like it but not as much as I did back when I saw it about a year ago.

• Like 1