Plain Old Tele

Monday Numbers, Dec 19 | R1 17.596M

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Interesting how legs work

RO opened below batman vs superman but will out gross it by Monday or Tuesday next week.

How is that even possible? I don't get how it's possible for a movie not to double its OW gross. I'm headed to BoxOfficeMojo lol. I need to read the BOT thread on that too

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Just intuitively, $18m seems like a very solid number for Monday, and bodes well for R1's chances to surpass $400m DOM and challenge CA and Dory for DOM film of the year. 

I think I start to get your ~ prediction style:

dry speaking version of the very conservative, or?

Like the bare minimum to be expected, never hinting at what the hoped for amount actually might be?

Like CA CW had a bigger OW, and beside good WOM less good legs than expected? To stay more ... conservative. Or so.

(edit: not to count on rules like typical for Holiday too early)

Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio
Total Gross /Theaters Opening / Theaters Open Close
1 Finding Dory   BV $486,295,561   4,305    $135,060,273   4,305 6/17 12/8
2 Captain America: Civil War   BV $408,084,349 4,226 $179,139,142   4,226 5/6 9/22
Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Forgive my ignorance but why Tuesdays? How about discount Wednesdays? I mean, it's probably the slowest day of the week as far as moviegoing is concerned.

Perhaps because a couple of years ago there was a trend with some movies opening on Wednesday?

• Like 2

Or maybe there is actually no reason for it to be a Tuesday. Maybe someone just decided to have discounted tickets on a Tuesday for absolutely no particular reason.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

Just intuitively, $18m seems like a very solid number for Monday, and bodes well for R1's chances to surpass $400m DOM and challenge CA and Dory for DOM film of the year. 

:kitschjob:

It's definitely passing Civil War's sub-$410M DOM. Dory won't be as easy but it's essentially a lock to pass it as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Or maybe there is actually no reason for it to be a Tuesday. Maybe someone just decided to have discounted tickets on a Tuesday for absolutely no particular reason.

That wouldn't really make sense from an economic perspective, but hey maybe someone started a weird trend 

• Like 2

Forgive my ignorance but why Tuesdays? How about discount Wednesdays? I mean, it's probably the slowest day of the week as far as moviegoing is concerned.

In the UK dominoes has a two pizzas for the price of one deal on Tuesdays, hope this helps

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

I think I start to get your ~ prediction style:

dry speaking version of the very conservative, or?

Like the bare minimum to be expected, never hinting at what the hoped for amount actually might be?

Like CA CW had a bigger OW, and beside good WOM less good legs than expected? To stay more ... conservative. Or so.

(edit: not to count on rules like typical for Holiday too early)

Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio
Total Gross /Theaters Opening / Theaters Open Close
1 Finding Dory   BV $486,295,561   4,305    $135,060,273   4,305 6/17 12/8
2 Captain America: Civil War   BV $408,084,349 4,226 $179,139,142   4,226 5/6 9/22

I appreciate the insights, but I'm not sure I'm being ultra-conservative here. I mean, if the issue is "will R1 reach $420m DOM?", two other action movies, BVS and CA, also opened at over $150m this year, and neither reached that mark. So being in doubt about whether R1 will doesn't seem too far-right to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I appreciate the insights, but I'm not sure I'm being ultra-conservative here. I mean, if the issue is "will R1 reach $420m DOM?", two other action movies, BVS and CA, also opened at over $150m this year, and neither reached that mark. So being in doubt about whether R1 will doesn't seem too far-right to me. 

R1 will have ridiculous weekdays for a couple weeks. Those other two films did not

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa

Well, that seems like a good reason to me. Think about it, why would you discount tickets on a day like Saturday when you know fully well that people will go watch movies anyway? Discounting tickets on a weak day means that you'll attract an audience that wouldn't have been there anyway and even though tickets are very cheap, having 10 people buy tickets at 5 bucks is better than 3 people buying at 10 bucks a piece. And of course, you have way more concessions to sell, and theater owners generally prioritize concessions over actual ticket sales anyway. By contrast, if you discount tickets on a saturday, you are probably going to have a few more people coming but a net loss in cash overall (since the theaters have a max capacity). I think that's also  why matinée tickets usually have discounts while evenings dont.

• Like 1

Discount Tuesdays are meant to accomplish a few things.

1. Get regular moviegoers to watch movies at greater frequency.

2. Get tightwad auds to give some movies a shot

3. Get infrequent/rare moviegoers to watch movies

The idea is to get the audiences into the habit of watching movies thereby increasing the audience pool.

• Like 5

18 million -52%

18.9 million  + 5%

15 million -20%

16.5 million +10%

23 million +40%

14 million -40%

29.5 million +110%

31 million + 6%

20.5 million -33%

Total after 27th: 341 million

I think that is rather reasonable no? 

It would be around 440 million by Jan 2nd...

ehhhh?

Did I do something wrong? 

I swear @SteveJaros is trolling us often here. He says he's followed the box office for nearly twenty years yet fails to acknowledge how distinctly different weekdays play over the holiday season v. early April and early May? Even when given evidence from previous years, namely 2011 when Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve last fell on a Saturday, or multipliers during the holiday season in general over the past 5 to 10 years, he seems to actively ignore said information. It's strange. The anomaly would be sub-$425M DOM for R1. It would play opposite of the holiday season box office trends charted over the past 10+ years.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

“That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run."

• Like 4