FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s - R1 17.6m

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

That was one of the funniest posts ever about Baumer, hilariously creative. I loved it!

As for Pitch Perfect, all I can say is that I do know 5 people who love Pitch Perfect and they're all women and gay men. I personally thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I honestly would like to put it #1 worst movie, because it's the most painful thing in the world to sit through. Pure cheese and watching people dancing around like idiots and singing songs badly is painful and cringe-worthy. 

The point of what was being discussed was about the box office, as this forum is, and what movies are going to appeal to which demographics. If you think guys should be just as into romance movies as girls, or girls just as into action as guys, that's completely fine, and a great opinion. I wasn't even touching on that. I was only saying whether or not it SHOULD be so isn't the point; it ISN'T so. That's why you can clearly see the demographic breakdowns of movies like Pitch Perfect versus Star Wars and one is a chick flick, the other is more appealing to guys. Trust me, I wish girls loved Star Wars just as much as guys, because that would be amazing (especially for the box office), but unfortunately it isn't so. There ARE those great girls out there, my girlfriend hates Pitch Perfect and in her words "it's the ("most not straight") thing I've ever seen" (omitting her language so as not to offend) and she loves Star Wars, but almost all of her friends don't care about Star Wars, love girly chick flicks, and think Marvel movies are stupid. So when you say it has nothing to do with gender, uhh, but it does. Nobody has ever argued that 100% of all guys have the same taste in movies, or 100% of girls, but strictly speaking I have a traditional guy's taste in movies and most girls have a traditional girl's taste in movies.

There are always exceptions. I like Clueless, I think it's funny, and I have a list of "best chick flicks" that appealed to me too. I don't feel bad or guilty about liking a well made "chick flick," and nobody should either, but it's going to have to be an example of one of the best made of its genre for me to like it. It will have to be more based on comedy than on romance, because if it's like "Love Actually" I am going to hate it with a passion. Whereas with action movies, I like tons of fun action movies that are admittedly cliche-ridden, unoriginal films but I find them fun just because I love action movies. My "standard for enjoyment" is lower, even if I recognize that, say, Expendables 2 isn't a great movie, I still had fun watching it. The same as some girls love a lot of romance-based films that are lousy movies, but they just enjoy a wider percentage of that genre than I do. It's like pizza, if you like pizza you probably somewhat enjoy any kind of pizza you have. If you're not a big pizza fan, you may only like the BEST pizza and would rather not eat anything besides the best. I'm the same with dessert, I'll eat something, my girlfriend says, "Is it good?" "Meh, it's ok, but you know me, I like all dessert so I still enjoy it." That's many guys with action movies and many girls with romance movies. 

I feel like some people are fighting for the way they want the world to be, which is great, but I'm not arguing or touching on that at all. I'm talking about the way the world actually IS, which is a place where I won't have anything in common with the tastes of 80-90% of girls when it comes to genre movies. Every girl I dated before my current GF had extremely shitty taste in movies from my perspective, and they probably thought the same of me, and I've yet to have any guy friend who would even watch something like Pitch Perfect ever, let alone think it's good. And these aren't guys who work night shift at Taco Bell or something. All three of my best friends have more than a college education: police officer with a degree in business and a graduate degree in accounting, CFO with an MBA in Business Administration, and a radiologist who graduated from Stanford before heading to medical school and now makes mid-six figures. These are smart guys, so if anyone should "break the stereotype" of guys liking action / sci-fi / "cool" movies, it should be them. But they still all love Marvel movies, Star Wars, action movies, and avoid anything romance related like the plague. I'm the most open-minded moviegoer of them all, by far, because I always watch the awards films every year even if they're not my taste. I try to keep a broad moviegoing habit in general, even if I'm obviously going to avoid things like the newest Nicolas Sparks movie. 

Where the stereotypes end should be beyond the "fun entertainment" movies and go into the serious dramas with meaning. There, I think there's less of a gender gap and more of a taste element for whether you appreciate more meaningful films or not. Guys often like crappy action movies, girls often like crappy romance movies, but both guys and girls with taste in film can appreciate a Godfather or a Taxi Driver or On The Waterfront or hopefully things like that. I'm not trying to say everyone likes those movies, but I mean there isn't as much of a gender gap when it comes to that "meaningful classic film" type than there is with the more genre-oriented fare. That's why in the past when I tried to find movies to watch with a girl, I would pick something like that instead of taking her to the newest Jason Statham film or suffering through the newest Nicolas Sparks movie. 

You just wrote a post with over 1k words.

youtube glozell glozell1 is you okay

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

That was one of the funniest posts ever about Baumer, hilariously creative. I loved it!

As for Pitch Perfect, all I can say is that I do know 5 people who love Pitch Perfect and they're all women and gay men. I personally thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I honestly would like to put it #1 worst movie, because it's the most painful thing in the world to sit through. Pure cheese and watching people dancing around like idiots and singing songs badly is painful and cringe-worthy. 

The point of what was being discussed was about the box office, as this forum is, and what movies are going to appeal to which demographics. If you think guys should be just as into romance movies as girls, or girls just as into action as guys, that's completely fine, and a great opinion. I wasn't even touching on that. I was only saying whether or not it SHOULD be so isn't the point; it ISN'T so. That's why you can clearly see the demographic breakdowns of movies like Pitch Perfect versus Star Wars and one is a chick flick, the other is more appealing to guys. Trust me, I wish girls loved Star Wars just as much as guys, because that would be amazing (especially for the box office), but unfortunately it isn't so. There ARE those great girls out there, my girlfriend hates Pitch Perfect and in her words "it's the ("most not straight") thing I've ever seen" (omitting her language so as not to offend) and she loves Star Wars, but almost all of her friends don't care about Star Wars, love girly chick flicks, and think Marvel movies are stupid. So when you say it has nothing to do with gender, uhh, but it does. Nobody has ever argued that 100% of all guys have the same taste in movies, or 100% of girls, but strictly speaking I have a traditional guy's taste in movies and most girls have a traditional girl's taste in movies.

There are always exceptions. I like Clueless, I think it's funny, and I have a list of "best chick flicks" that appealed to me too. I don't feel bad or guilty about liking a well made "chick flick," and nobody should either, but it's going to have to be an example of one of the best made of its genre for me to like it. It will have to be more based on comedy than on romance, because if it's like "Love Actually" I am going to hate it with a passion. Whereas with action movies, I like tons of fun action movies that are admittedly cliche-ridden, unoriginal films but I find them fun just because I love action movies. My "standard for enjoyment" is lower, even if I recognize that, say, Expendables 2 isn't a great movie, I still had fun watching it. The same as some girls love a lot of romance-based films that are lousy movies, but they just enjoy a wider percentage of that genre than I do. It's like pizza, if you like pizza you probably somewhat enjoy any kind of pizza you have. If you're not a big pizza fan, you may only like the BEST pizza and would rather not eat anything besides the best. I'm the same with dessert, I'll eat something, my girlfriend says, "Is it good?" "Meh, it's ok, but you know me, I like all dessert so I still enjoy it." That's many guys with action movies and many girls with romance movies. 

I feel like some people are fighting for the way they want the world to be, which is great, but I'm not arguing or touching on that at all. I'm talking about the way the world actually IS, which is a place where I won't have anything in common with the tastes of 80-90% of girls when it comes to genre movies. Every girl I dated before my current GF had extremely shitty taste in movies from my perspective, and they probably thought the same of me, and I've yet to have any guy friend who would even watch something like Pitch Perfect ever, let alone think it's good. And these aren't guys who work night shift at Taco Bell or something. All three of my best friends have more than a college education: police officer with a degree in business and a graduate degree in accounting, CFO with an MBA in Business Administration, and a radiologist who graduated from Stanford before heading to medical school and now makes mid-six figures. These are smart guys, so if anyone should "break the stereotype" of guys liking action / sci-fi / "cool" movies, it should be them. But they still all love Marvel movies, Star Wars, action movies, and avoid anything romance related like the plague. I'm the most open-minded moviegoer of them all, by far, because I always watch the awards films every year even if they're not my taste. I try to keep a broad moviegoing habit in general, even if I'm obviously going to avoid things like the newest Nicolas Sparks movie. 

Where the stereotypes end should be beyond the "fun entertainment" movies and go into the serious dramas with meaning. There, I think there's less of a gender gap and more of a taste element for whether you appreciate more meaningful films or not. Guys often like crappy action movies, girls often like crappy romance movies, but both guys and girls with taste in film can appreciate a Godfather or a Taxi Driver or On The Waterfront or hopefully things like that. I'm not trying to say everyone likes those movies, but I mean there isn't as much of a gender gap when it comes to that "meaningful classic film" type than there is with the more genre-oriented fare. That's why in the past when I tried to find movies to watch with a girl, I would pick something like that instead of taking her to the newest Jason Statham film or suffering through the newest Nicolas Sparks movie. 

When I saw this J.R.R. Tolkan't passage...

PinkTalkativeEasternnewt.gif

3 hours ago, Mattrek said:

1. So yourself and 5 other people is a great base to make a blanket statement of all movie goers? Come on now.

2. For you Pitch Perfect is awful, fine so be it, just say that you dislike it then and talk about something else.

3. Saying a movie is the "gayest thing ever" equates being gay to being bad. I used to say it too all the time when I was younger, that doesn't make it right. It was something everyone did, but now with greater awareness we've mostly done away with that. Say it's awful, say you hate it, say it's not to your taste. It gets the same point across without denigrating a minority.

4. You have completely missed my point. It is not that girls should be into action movies and guys should be into romance, it's by even saying that you again are continuing the stereotype that we need to do away with as a society of masculinity and femininity. Yes, guys are more into action movies, yes, girls are more into romance. That doesn't make one movie for guys and one movie for girls.

5. By categorizing your friends again you do the thing I'm trying to make you understand. Stereotypes are wrong full stop. It doesn't have to be about movies, it doesn't have to be about gender, any stereotype is wrong. People are people and have a vast array of different tastes.

6. Saying there's a gender gap is totally fine. Saying what you said equating "girly" to "awful" is not. This need to be masculine or need to be feminine because society expects it has caused a lot of therapy sessions and damage to individuals. People can like or do whatever they want to regardless of how it's perceived (as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's rights).

giphy.gif