John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-sing-rogue-one-passengers-assassins-creed-1201946630/

Illumination-Universal’s “Sing,” which centers on a group of animals in a song competition, has been projected as the leader of the rest of the pack with about $70 million for the six-day period ending Monday. It has generated solid critical support with a 72% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

The voice cast for “Sing” includes Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon, alongside Seth MacFarlane, Scarlett Johansson, John C. Reilly, Taron Egerton and  Tori Kelly.  The film is the sixth collaboration between Illumination and Universal, the team behind the “Despicable Me” franchise and last summer’s “The Secret Life of Pets.”

“Sing” cost a relatively modest $75 million to produce and should attract families and children during the holiday break.

“Passengers” is projected for a third place finish with around $35 million at 3,478 sites during the six days. The movie, set a futuristic world in which people go into suspended animation on deep space journeys, has received mostly negative reviews with a 32% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Action-adventure “Assassin’s Creed” has been projected to pick up around $30 million in its six-day opening at 2,902 sites. Michael Fassbender stars as a career criminal sent back by a corporation to the Spanish Inquisition to relive the memories of his ancestor.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I guess? I forget how we handled things last year. 

Last year Christmas fell on a Friday. Since this place started in 2011 (when the schedule last lined up), how did you handle it then or was it a completely different site then?

56 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Last year Christmas fell on a Friday. Since this place started in 2011 (when the schedule last lined up), how did you handle it then or was it a completely different site then?

BOT had literally just started then (it began November 2011). I wasn't a mod back then, but also the place has changed so much I'm not sure it would make much of a difference. 

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I thought we made early weekend threads for highly anticipated blockbusters, not necessarily for holidays.

We do it for Thanksgiving. But you're right, this is more along the lines of a typical Wednesday opener. 

I don't feel super-strongly either way, but now that I think about it more, it probably makes sense to split today and tomorrow out as regular days, then start the weekend thread on Friday. 

• Like 7

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-sing-beats-assassins-creed-passengers-tuesday-previews-958235

Short version:

Sing 10-12

Passengers and Assassin's Creed 4-5m

Rogue One 15-17

Long version:

Sing — think talking animals meet American Idol — is projected to gross $10 million to $12 million on Wednesday from 4,022 theaters for a possible (and pleasing) six-day launch of $80 million

Disney and Lucasfilm's Rogue One is expected to stay No. 1 with a $15 million-$17 million Wednesday, if not more. Very early projections suggest it should it should cross $90 million for the six days, if not $100 million.

Passengers, the sci-fi space romance starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt, is projected to gross $4 million-$5 million on Wednesday from 3,478 cinemas, including $1.2 million in Tuesday previews. Sony insiders are predicting a six-day launch of $30 million-$40 million, but it could come in closer to $25 million. 

Video game adaptation Assassin's Creed, starring Michael Fassbender, is likewise predicted to gross $4 million-$5 million on Wednesday from 2,902 locations, putting it in a close race withPassengers. The male-fueled New Regency and Fox title is expected to be front-loaded, however, for a six-day debut of $20 million for the six days. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, MattW said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-sing-beats-assassins-creed-passengers-tuesday-previews-958235

Short version:

Sing 10-12

Passengers and Assassin's Creed 4-5m

Rogue One 15-17

Long version:

Sing — think talking animals meet American Idol — is projected to gross $10 million to $12 million on Wednesday from 4,022 theaters for a possible (and pleasing) six-day launch of $80 million

Disney and Lucasfilm's Rogue One is expected to stay No. 1 with a $15 million-$17 million Wednesday, if not more. Very early projections suggest it should it should cross $90 million for the six days, if not $100 million.

Passengers, the sci-fi space romance starring Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt, is projected to gross $4 million-$5 million on Wednesday from 3,478 cinemas, including $1.2 million in Tuesday previews. Sony insiders are predicting a six-day launch of $30 million-$40 million, but it could come in closer to $25 million. 

Video game adaptation Assassin's Creed, starring Michael Fassbender, is likewise predicted to gross $4 million-$5 million on Wednesday from 2,902 locations, putting it in a close race withPassengers. The male-fueled New Regency and Fox title is expected to be front-loaded, however, for a six-day debut of $20 million for the six days. 

Lol at Passengers and AC

• Like 3