John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Poor Alicia Vikander. She should bail on Tomb Raider if she still has the chance. Abandon all hope.

Roar Uthaug has one of the most awesome names in moviemaking. Him combined with Vikander and Goggins means I'll be rooting for it. Dunno if it makes any money but there's a good chance it'll be a fun movie.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

But have you seen the tragically unfunny trailer for Why Him?  I love Cranston but god it looks awful.

Yes. They come up ALL THE TIME while I'm watching football. I haven't laughed one time. 

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

But have you seen the tragically unfunny trailer for Why Him?  I love Cranston but god it looks awful.

Can't be worse than being in Collateral Beauty, the "heartwarming" holiday tale about gaslighting your friends.

• Like 3

This has gotta be one of the most uninteresting slates of holiday releases in a long time. Passengers looks boring as shit, AC is a video game movie and I don't even care for Sing all that much. Hopefully next year will be better.

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

so can anyone give me approximate weekend estimates. (I know it's super early but I just want to see what it's estimate that Passengers and AC will open too based on these early numbers) 

If you go by 2011 multipliers then they'll both around 20-25m for the 5-day. It's tough to predict what's going to happen this weekend though because Christmas Day is going to bring alot of business which throws the weekend estimates off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Don't even know why they are making a new Tomb Raider. Box office wise it is guaranteed to not make as much as the Jolie movie s

Because someone was watching the Oscars and saw Vikander on stage and said "wow, she looks just like that girl on the front of the Tomb Raider game I saw at Best Buy. I wonder who owns the rights"

"OMG my studio does!!!" 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

This has gotta be one of the most uninteresting slates of holiday releases in a long time. Passengers looks boring as shit, AC is a video game movie and I don't even care for Sing all that much. Hopefully next year will be better.

Next year has EIGHT movies: Episode 8, Downsizing, Jumanji, Pitch Perfect 3, Six Billion Dollar Man, Story of Ferdinand, untitled PG-13 comedy, and Greatest Showman on Earth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Next year has EIGHT movies: Episode 8, Downsizing, Jumanji, Pitch Perfect 3, Six Billion Dollar Man, Story of Ferdinand, untitled PG-13 comedy, and Greatest Showman on Earth.

At least Downsizing should be good (Alexander Payne, everyone). Jumanji will likely be the backup choice for families sold out from Episode 8, and Pitch Perfect 3 will still make a profit even if it sees a big dip from the second one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Tell us more...

Nothing to say, I only have seen the Apple-Rush (if you understood my reference here, well you re very good) movie which is abysmal and Passengers well reception is terrible, early numbers are not good, life is unfair I guess.

I won't have Passengers before next week.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Lol @ pitch perfect 3. Couldn't think of a worse time on a worse schedule for it to release. They will absolutely move it if they have any brains. 

• Like 1

So what are the movies in 2016 that were able to overcome terrible reviews :

DCEU as a whole : Suicide Squad and Batface vs Superface

Accountant somewhat even though reviews were average not terrible.

And ?

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So what are the movies in 2016 that were able to overcome terrible reviews :

DCEU as a whole : Suicde Sqaud and Batface vs Superface

Accountant somewhat even though reviews were average not terrible.

And ?

DCEU movies had enough hype to make a billion each if the reviews were reasonable.

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Story of Ferdinand(Fox) and Six Billion Dollar Man(Weinstein) will probably move. Fox animation shouldn't go against a Star Wars film and The Rock. I don't trust Weinstein anymore as far as actually sticking to their release dates. 

14 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm banking on untitled PG-13 comedy to keep the season afloat.

Also, that Six Billion Dollar Man movie ain't happening. But anyway, the big commercial Christmas releases are usually fairly mediocre every year. It's Oscar stuff that breaks out at the box office and delivers quality and it's been like that for years over this weekend. Just this weekend, I expect La La Land to boom, and Fences to stun people, and Hidden Figures to do great in mid-level release. Plus, you've got Patriot's Day, Silence, and other expansions to boost the box office and deliver the goods coming through over the next couple of weeks. Daddy's Home, Joy, Concussion, and Point Break wasn't a murderer's row last year, and this year will add up to better than that at the BO. Same with classic commercial and critical smashes like Parental Guidance, 47 Ronin, and Walter Mitty.