Fences (2016)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Fences (2016)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Fences is a fantastic character piece with an incredibly lush screenplay.  The ensemble in this movie competes as one of the best of the year.  

Washington's performance as Troy is heart pounding, and even manages to keep his shadow cast when his character is missing from the scene.  Great acting from the whole cast.  Davis also gave a standout performance, and had a few heart-wrenching scenes that she never oversold.

My biggest problem with the movie was that you could tell it was meant for the stage, not the big screen.  I think they did a great job translating it, but it still felt a little contained and not cinematic.  I don't think there was much to offer by making the play into a film that the play didn't offer itself (other than it being easier to access and see).

I don't think that's a problem that really could have been fixed though, and Washington does the best job that he can to bring something new to offer for the film.  

There's so many chilling moments though, and the dialogue is piercing.  It has a lot of ideas to offer, and the characterization is impeccable.  

Overall, I really enjoyed this one, it was emotionally moving, powerful and it was never boring (like many adaptions of great plays that go on the big screen tend to be).

A

Edited by La La Panda
  • Like 1

Enjoyed it, but thought it was short of greatness. Felt like a play, not very cinematic. Not that Denzel did a poor job directing, just that the source material isn't elevated from the film medium. But the performances were top-notch, especially Davis. And the narrative was actually quite twisty and shocking at points.

B (7/10)

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen a movie based on a play that wears its stage origins so heavily on its shoulders, but Fences nonetheless packs an emotional punch through strong writing and the sheer power of its performances (Denzel Washington and Viola Davis solidify their status as being among the most celebrated people in their profession with performances that stand among their very best work). Washington also directs with an attention to detail that elevates the movie to a higher level when it could've easily drowned in one of its many monologues throughout. A-

• Like 1

As one would expect from director-star Denzel Washington's claim that he treated August Wilson's original script with a near-religious level of reverence, Fences is a triumph of acting and simple storytelling. Washington does precious little to open the film from the play's very small setting, but he doesn't need to amid the raw power of the acting in front of the camera. Everyone involved with the production understands what makes Wilson's seminal play tick, and in turn, they deliver a richly compelling drama whose themes of sacrifice, regret, and dissatisfaction resonate about as loudly and clearly as intended. Washington gives one of the best performances of his career in a near-perfectly-modulated turn as the long-embattled protagonist. He doesn't overplay, which results in a performance that has ferocity without sacrificing authenticity. Viola Davis is also in top form; she wrings maximum impact out of her "Oscar clip" scenes, and she does so with such precision that it doesn't feel like she's reaching over-the-top.

A-

• Like 1

Fences by August Wilson is an absolutely brilliant play. In my personal experience, it's one of my favorite plays I've ever read, being constantly entertaining with a lot of depth. Denzel Washington translates Fences to the big screen rather well, but that's the key word: translate. This is not an adaptation of Fences. This is a filmed version of August Wilson's text, which, in theory, is not a bad idea. However, when looking at other films adapted from plays, it seems disappointing that a lot of potential was left at the table.

Yet, Fences is still Fences, and thus it is still a very good watch. Washington gives Troy his signature greatness, but Davis steals the show as Rose, as it should be. The rest of the cast is stellar too, bringing Wilson's words to life very exquisitely. The rest of the film elements (direction, cinematography, score, editing) is incredibly unremarkable in a sadly dull way.

It really is a shame that Fences does not take advantage of the film medium much at all. If it had, then it could've been one of the year's best easily. As it is, it's still a good film, but a very disappointing one. Fences has great performances and a stellar script by August Wilson, but in nearly every other way, the film falls flat. C+

Adapting a play to film, especially as an essentially direct and literal telling, is never an easy task, and it shows in Fences. The play itself, along with Viola and Denzel, are absolutely terrific and bring immense fire and passion to their roles. The excellence of the material itself and the acting speaks for itself, and I can only imagine how awesome it would have been to see on stage. (It was on Broadway a few years ago) It doesn't quite have the flow and power of the play, but Denzel does give it a good shot and brings the play forward in an immensely intriguing and powerful way.

Definitely recommended.

• Like 1

An interesting film, a long film and one that for the most part held my attention.  I'll give credit to Denzel and the writers as this character, Troy, was someone I grew to despise.  The only good thing he did was provide food and shelter for his family and he used that as his weapon.  He somehow felt, like a lot of men did back when they were the only one working, that this gave them some sort of carte blanche to be an asshole.  It was his get out of jail free card.  I work, so I can make my son afraid of me.  I work so I can sleep with other women.  I work so......you get the point.  Denzel is excellent in the film.  Viola Davis is very good as well in a supporting role and I thought Jovan Adepo was outstanding as Cory.  

Overall I liked it, just didn't love it.

8/10

It was good but Denzel's monologues dragged on for quite some time in the beginning and some other times in the movie. Viola was iconic and deserved that Oscar. Get it gurl. The guy who played Gabriel was excellent, too. 

Anyway, moral of the story is: Men ain't shit. That is all. 

B- (76%)