Jackie (2016)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Jackie (2016)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This was interesting but flawed. Deserves props for not going the traditional biopic route while still highlighting what a fascinating person Jackie Kennedy was, but this was a bit too clinical for me. Natalie Portman is outstanding and deserves her impending Oscar nomination, though. B

• Like 2

Staggeringly ambitious in a truly tremendous fashion, if slightly imperfect execution. This is a truly marveous story about ghosts, about history, about legacy, about the world we remember and the one we try to make. Portman kills it.

• Like 5

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Natalie Portman was amazing as the titular character and the supporting cast was equally as strong. The production was gorgeous. It'll be a crime if this doesn't at least get a nod for costume design. It's shot beautifully. Every shot felt very deliberate, which I think worked very well considering Jackie's character. My only criticism was how sterile it felt. I get what they were going for but it felt a bit too cold at times. Regardless, it's a great film. I'd give it an A-.

Also, their JFK was a spitting image. Like, damn son; that guys got a career in JFK impersonation ahead of him. Interesting that they never really made him act :ph34r:.

Edited by AABATTERY

Much like Split, the movie lives on its lead's performance. Portman clearly did character study, and her voice, while not perfect, is so freaking close to the real JK. The film had an interesting feel to it... it was different. Not always in a good way. The score was interesting, but misplaced and really drew me out of the film a lot. A solid B from me.

Portman is crazy good in this. One of the best performances ive ever seen.  I hate to make this about Stone, but she looks to be the front runner for best actress and imo she should not have even been nominated.  She's good, but there re better performances out there.  Portman as Jackie Kennedy takes you through a blitzkrieg of emotion...in the first twenty minutes.  She's angry, heartbroken, defiant, on the verge of breaking down, jubilant, ecstatic, sarcastic, caustic and sad.  There's no other performance like it this year and imho I'd rank this as one of the all time greatest performances by any sex.  She drew me into her world and gave me a glimpse of what it could have been like to be Jackie for that time in her life.  I'm simply in awe with what she did here.  And this alone is enough to make the movie worth seeing and one of the best of the year.  If I had seen this before I started doing my top 40, this would have been in at around number 12.  It's a fascinating film and one I will never forget and will watch over again simply to see Portman kill it. 

8.5/10

• Like 4

"It had some great technical directing, with some very clever CGI shots. I frequently found myself admiring things like the reflection of the (real 1963) crowds in the car window that Natalie Portman was gazing through. And therein lies the problem. I was more interested in that, or in how closely the matched Jackie's real White House Tour, or the grisly assassination shots than in anything else. The script was a rambling, largely pointless affair. Portman's tortured attempts to nail Jackie's accent and speech patterns was so effortful that it obliterated the moments where she sorta-kinda (but never really) could have passed. And overall it added up to... what? Stuff all, really. Did we really get any new insight into Jackie, the Kennedys, the assassination, 1960s America, or life generally? No, on all counts." - Echoing my thoughts on Jackie. I usually love Natalie Portman but she took me out of this film in nearly every shot that didn't involve the actual assassination. Some of this felt like a play or a a serious SNL skit. There were only a few moments where I couldn't hear or see Natalie Portman with a goofy hairstyle and a raspy voice.

The movie is beautiful and visually fascinating. It's definately not your grandpa's biopic but I think it's getting hampered a bit by a very repetitive and kinda obvious script. It reminded me of Foxcatcher in that way, another movie with interesting things to say and style to spare that ends up repeating itself to death. It is still a worthy movie. 

Also about Portman i think it's funny that many go omg Best performance evah, while others think of it as ridiculous overacting. I think she's great but only because I think the over the top elements of her performance are intentional and complement the themes of celebrity, legacy, public image in a meta way. We can't know for sure, maybe Portman was all like "Let me show you how real ACTING is done" but I doubt it. Her BIG performance seems to me exhausting and "fake" by design.

• Like 1

Or it could have very well been a cookie cutter oscar bait film a la Theory of Everything that literally no one remembers post-Oscar season by going the standard biopic route. Sure it won't be as popular, but this is a truly tremendous and unique piece of art.

• Like 2

A mesmerizing portrait of the shock of grief, Jackie is a marvel. Less of a biopic and more inspired historical fiction, it explores the sheer despair that occurs right after one loses someone they love unexpectedly. Portman portrays Jackie Kennedy in a delightfully nuanced way, and the rest of the cast does excellent too. Larrain's direction keeps a constant dreamy feel to the proceedings, and Oppenheim's script floats between timelines in a brilliantly constructed way. Mica Levi's score haunts every scene, accenting the horror of the proceedings, and Fontaine's cinematography strikes elegance into every frame. Jackie is an incredibly unusual take on the biopic, disregarding most of the tropes of the genre and instead making something incredibly new and memorable. A startlingly good film. A-

On 03/02/2017 at 1:47 PM, Lordmandeep said:

I think perhaps it pleases certain people but I think overall a Jackie Bio pic it could have had a far larger impact. 

No. Jackie shouldn't be considered a bio pic and to call it such is doing it a disservice and imo quite insulting. This is a film in the same vein as The Queen. It is a character study of a short period of time that fundamentally defined / changed who they are. I think that a Jackie Bio Pic with the cursory overview of the life of what quite frankly in the grand scheme of things is an ordinary lady with modest abilities wouldn't give the same depth or carry the same impact as delving into the week following JFK's death where it we saw a different Jackie struggle in the world and to try and define the legacy of not just JFK but more importantly herself. 

• Like 1