The Stingray

Okja | 2017 | Bong Joon-Ho (director), Jake Gyllenhaal, Lily Collins, Tilda Swinton

22 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It better get a theatrical release.

It is confirmed for theatrical release in Korea where Bong is a huge name. It might also get a very limited release in America simultaneously with the Netflix premiere but that's it.

It sucks for sure that many people won't even have the chance to see it in theatres but what can you do. I was angry when the project was anounced because I knew there's no way in hell it will reach theatres in my country, but in the end it's not like other studios were throwing money at Bong Joon Ho for this project and Netflix beat them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joel M said:

It is confirmed for theatrical release in Korea where Bong is a huge name. It might also get a very limited release in America simultaneously with the Netflix premiere but that's it.

It sucks for sure that many people won't even have the chance to see it in theatres but what can you do. I was angry when the project was anounced because I knew there's no way in hell it will reach theatres in my country, but in the end it's not like other studios were throwing money at Bong Joon Ho for this project and Netflix beat them. 

apparently US and UK also confirmed.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2017 at 9:07 PM, Arlborn said:

I've read on a Brazilian site that this got loads of bad reactions on Cannes from movie purists who didn't wanna see a Netflix movie getting into the competition. Apparently from next year on Netflix movies without theatrical release won't be able to compete anymore after the outcry.

That's annoying.  Netflix has delivered some top quality TV Shows rivaling HBO in number.  I don't see it being a bad thing if they can start picking up promising movie projects that are too risky for other studios.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Better for the UK then than with Weinstein and Snowpiercer - which was never released there even on BR.

That was the year Weinstein royally pissed me off.  He threw two of my favorite movies that year under the bus due to personal grudges (Snowpiercer and the Immigrant).

Really not a fan of his studio.

Pretty fascinating RT/MC watch. Currently 82% at RT but with an impressive 7.7 average rating. It's sitting at 75 at MC and has two 88/100 to add as well. Seems pretty divisive. Some either write it off for being too fantastical and broad while others believe it's the first great film this year. Can't wait to see it for myself at 11AM ET.

My little review:

Spoiler

This was disappointing to me. Just like Snowpiercer, it's a breath of fresh air, as the director has his own style, but still, not a great movie.

It was a challenge for me to feel anything about any of the characters, except for the CGI animals. We know nothing about anyone, and there's no character development.

Jake Gyllenhaal is awful and distracting, as his over-the-topness doesn't match the tone of the movie. There's a little twist with the Tilda Swinton character that feels pointless.

The big climax at the parade was messy, unfocused and also pointless. The main character gets what she wants without any real effort, and we're still left feeling for the other animals, thus making the ending neither happy or sad.

Still, I would recommend Okja because of its uniqueness, theme, and some really good moments. It will definitely have its fans, just like Snowpiercer.

• Like 1