CJohn

CJOHN's BEST OF 2016 TOP 10 REVEAL | OS Edition

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Anyway, I thought this list would be shit since I don't think you've seen La La Land, but nevermind.

La La Land only opens here in 2017, so it doesn't count to this list.

Before the 9th place reveal and the break until tomorrow, two more honorable mentions:

23298749349_3382f349b7_o.jpg

Zootopia is the animation movie to see in 2016. Driven by the message of equality between everyone, Zootopia is the perfect family movie for kids and their parents, with fantastic voice work from the all star cast and top notch animation. Hopefully everyone got this movie's message, and hopefully it gets the best animation Oscar that it so much deserves.

love_and_friendship_ver2_xlg.png

Ignored by the stupid Golden Globes, Kate Beckinsale gives one of the best performances of the year in Love & Friendship. She is a delightfully diabolical manipulative woman that will stop at nothing to get the future she wants. Love & Friendship is incredibly funny, charming and a must see.

STAY TUNED FOR MORE INSANE TWISTS AND CRAZY REVEALS NEXT

Doctor-Strange-Mads-Mikkelsen.gif

• Like 7

Just now, CJohn said:

DAT SHADE

I found a lot more to appreciate in the movie than to like.

The technical aspects were tremendous, but half of the songs are totally forgettable and the regular writing is average at best. Gosling and Stone are good, but neither come close to blowing the socks off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Zootopia is the animation movie to see in 2016. Driven by the message of equality between everyone, Zootopia is the perfect family movie for kids and their parents, with fantastic voice work from the all star cast and top notch animation. Hopefully everyone got this movie's message, and hopefully it gets the best animation Oscar that it so much deserves.

Did you watch it in Portuguese and English? Or do you just watch the original?

9TH PLACE

Spoiler

LION

20-lion-poster.nocrop.w529.h823.jpg

Lion is two movies actually. I was surprised, but the first half is carried by Sunny Pawar, and that first half is fantastic. He is adorable and gives a great performance as young Saroo. I was expecting 15-20 minutes of setup and the rest in "present day", but nope. The movie takes his time to present us with Saroo's journey until he is adopted by Nicole Kidman's character. Kidman does some great work here, and shows she still got it. Dev Patel continues to show why his Hollywood career keeps going, David Wenham gives a solid secondary performance and Rooney Mara does a good job with what his given to her (she can do no wrong). The 2nd half shows Saroo's journey to find his lost home and how it consumes him, we have some really touching moments in the end, and even some images of the real persons in which the story is based. Hopefully the Oscars give it as much as love as the Globes.

What We Said:

Nothing, because there isn't even a thread for it, let alone people commenting on it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Did you watch it in Portuguese and English? Or do you just watch the original?

I watched both the dubbed portuguese version and the english version.

• Like 1

8TH PLACE

Spoiler

THE CONJURING 2

conjuring-2-poster.jpg

The scariest experience I have had this year. James Wan gives it all in this sequel that is even better than the original, full of chilling scares and moments full of tension. Wan understands horror, and he understands exactly when to execute a scare and when to build tension. He is a genius, that now is unfortunately stuck with a DC movie. If they ever do a 3rd one, bring back Wan or don't do it at all.

What We Said:

Ozymandias

Enjoyed this a lot. Consistently entertaining, great main child actor, high points are higher than those in the first, and fuck that demon nun face and and the crooked man(hat and cane dude) were creepy as shit.

La Binoche

There's nothing in this movie we haven't seen before, either in other horror movies or in the previous Conjuring, but James Wan makes it work. He just gets horror. He's a master of long tracking shots, of taking his time toying with us before delivering a great jump scare. 

Goffe

The performances are top notch and Wan is just a master at what he does. Also, I was literally holding my breath in the climax and it gains steam as it goes along, which is a rarity nowadays.

Webslinger

James Wan still has a terrific sense of how to develop at atmosphere of dread, and the visual and aural artistry of his past films are every bit as evident here as they've ever been.

• Like 5