CJohn

CJOHN's BEST OF 2016 TOP 10 REVEAL | OS Edition

7TH PLACE

Spoiler

SING STREET

sing-street-poster.jpeg

Sing Street is the feel-good movie of the year. The characters are extremely likable, it has a giant heart and it is full of optimism. The whole movie is full with graciousness and sweetness, and it is a tremendous achievement by director John Carney. It is hard not to fall in love with the characters and the story, and it will remind us when we were younger. If you are on a down moment, see this movie, and it will make you feel better immediately. 

What We Said:

Spaghetti

I adored this. The actors are having a ton of fun, and it has the same sweetness and bittersweet nature that Carney excels at.

TMP

Absolutely loved this. The best film I've seen since maybe Room, every character was perfectly cast in their roles and the music was just great.

• Like 9

6TH PLACE

Spoiler

CAROL

22355755493_8649ab610c_o.jpg

2015 makes his only appearance in this top, in the form of Carol, which opened here in mid February of 2016. Carol is anchored by two fantastic performances by Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara (which got her Oscar stolen from her by Vikander in a shit movie). Carol shows the sense of danger and imprisonment that was being gay in the 1950s, with a love story full of small encounters that have the most consuming impact. Stupid Academy didn't even nominate it for best movie of the year.

What We Said:

Spaghetti

It's amazing. Beautifully captures, both emotionally and visually, the highs and lows of the journey of love with absolute grace and wonder. Every emotional beat feels real and earned, and the movie becomes truly etheral as we see these two pressured women find solace and hope in each other. This might be my favorite shot movie of the year, fusing breathtaking, subtle, yet beautiful imagery with its story seamlessly.

Baumer

This is a film that grew on me as it went along.  Taking place in the 50's, it reminds you how far we have come with same sex relationships.  This, like The Revenant, takes its time telling the story and it is more than an hour into the film before the two ladies finally express their love for one another.  I have to say, that as a heterosexual male, I was completely mesmerized by the love scene between Blanchett and Mara.  I thought it was beautifully filmed yet very erotic.  Blanchett is one of the great actors or our generation but imo, she is upstaged a little bit by Mara, who imo is the true strength of the film.  Her transformation from a nervous, unsure, hesitant and insecure girl into the confident and strong woman that she becomes, is really an amazing journey. 

filmlover

A tender and well-crafted romance bolstered to a higher level thanks to superb performances. Cate Blanchett is terrific as always, while Rooney Mara gives her most confidant work to date

Jake Gittes

Probably the closest any period piece of recent years has come to matching the tone and character work of Mad Men, taking a story that could have been wildly melodramatic on screen and playing it subtly and without clichés and hysterics - but also with some expertly placed moments where the emotion breaks through, and it's all the more powerful because we'd seen the characters hold it back before. Mara's performance is in contention for the best of last year, and Blanchett's ethereal quality is perfect for the character who should be believably larger-than-life. I could go on, but in short I really loved this. 

• Like 7

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Yet you think Rogue One is better than Beyond :redcapes: I am the true savior of the Enterprise!

A true savior would be quoted by CJohn in his top 10 list. An Illumination h8ter just gets left off the quotes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I was disappointed you didn't pick me for Beyond :sadben: 

I don't think I got past the first page, I will see if you have quotes for one of the future reveals.

• Like 1