That One Girl

That One Guy's "Controversial" 2017 Box Office Predictions Extravaganza Extended Cut (on Blu-Ray and digital today!) | BONUS CONTENT: CJOHN'S CONTROVERSIAL 2017 PREDICTIONS | William Hurt returns as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

So yeah, I guess I'm pretty much copying @WrathOfHan, because why the fuck not?  Basically just doing what he's doing, where he'll make predictions for each of the 2017 releases.  I mean hey, originality isn't one of my stronger suits.  So let's get started...tomorrow morning after I get some rest :ph34r:.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Really? :apocalypse: 

Yeah, really :redcapes:.

It's not original, but hey I gotta give you credit for the original thread idea.  It's a pretty interesting concept, so I don't see why other members can't pick it up.  The only difference is I have an infinitely better thread title than yours :apocalypse:.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Yeah, really :redcapes:.

It's not original, but hey I gotta give you credit for the original thread idea.  It's a pretty interesting concept, so I don't see why other members can't pick it up.  The only difference is I have an infinitely better thread title than yours :apocalypse:.

You could've at least waited for mine to be done. I haven't even posted the rest of January :lol: 

• Like 1

Hidden Figures -  So, this is apparently already #1 on Pulse.  Considering it's ahead of R1 and Sing, at this point, a breakout is quite nearly a sure thing.  It stars actresses that, while they aren't necessarily massive draws, they are put in the right material for the movie.  On top of that, its already had a fantastic limited run in 25 theaters, and, if I remember correctly, is around the 2M mark...before even entering 50 theaters.  25/100 (4x)

A Monster Calls - Some people have pre-emptively been declaring this as a flop after its disappointing limited run.  However, I wouldn't quite count on it just yet.  From what I can tell, the book it was based on was definitely a hit, and it received widespread acclaim, so there could definitely be an audience for it since it's already based on a book.  The great reviews should also give it a sizeable boost.  It won't be a massive hit at all, but it also won't bomb and die out.  5/18 (3.6x)

underworld: Blood Wars - Despite the fact that the films themselves are generally of low quality, this whole series has somehow found its audience.  For all of the four previous movie, not one has fell below 52M (adjusted), and the one that did make 52M didnt even have Beckinsale in it.  If we decrease the range to only films where Beckinsale in it, then it's 67M adjusted.  While this should indicate a surefire hit, I'm not so sure with this one.  For the previous ones, there was never more than a 3 year gap between films.  However, the last one in this case was 5 years ago, far too long ago.  I doubt this will do much business.  Expect a frontloaded, fan driven opening and a quick, steep drop off after.  15/32 (2.13x)

• Like 2

This edition includes as a special bonus the

CJOHN CONTROVERSIAL PREDICTIONS:

JANUARY

Hidden Figures - 32/137

Underworld: Blood Wars - 17/40

A Monster Calls - 1.7/3.7

Monster Trucks - 3.5/5/10

The Bye Bye Man - 6/7.5/14

Sleepless - 6/7.5/15

Live by Night - 20/24/60

Patriot's Day - 25/29/91

The Founder - 4/10

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone - 2/4.5

Split - 30/85

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - 20/45

Gold - 3.5/8.5

A Dog's Purpose - 9/27

Bastards - 6/14

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - 20/40

• Like 5

Just now, CJohn said:

This edition includes as a special bonus the

CJOHN CONTROVERSIAL PREDICTIONS:

JANUARY

Hidden Figures - 32/137

Underworld: Blood Wars - 17/40

A Monster Calls - 1.7/3.7

Monster Trucks - 3.5/5/10

The Bye Bye Man - 6/7.5/14

Sleepless - 6/7.5/15

Live by Night - 20/24/60

Patriot's Day - 25/29/91

The Founder - 4/10

The Resurrection of Gavin Stone - 2/4.5

Split - 30/85

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - 20/45

Gold - 3.5/8.5

A Dog's Purpose - 9/27

Bastards - 6/14

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter - 20/40

Image result for why him

• Like 1

The Bye Bye Man - I'm gonna be quoting NSYNC a lot during this prediction...(just kidding but you get my point).  So anyways, the one and only thing this movie has going for it is...well...it's a horror movie in January and it could potentially breakout?  Given the terrible reception to the trailer...yeah no.  No one gives a shit about this movie.  It'll die at the box office, and have toxic WoM with it.  Expecting anything big is setting yourself up for disappointment.  Bye bye.  5/10 (2x)

Monster Trucks - I'm going to try to refrain from letting my religious beliefs interfere with my prediction.  Hmm, well how about we check what the movie has going for it.  It could pull in a new family audience over MLK day weekend, the same way The Nut Job did (which ended with 64M).  It could appeal to some fans out there who might like Lucas Till and Jane Levy.  There seems to be some people online who genuinely want to see this...hmm...AGH I HATE THIS WHY DOES THIS MOVIE HAVE TO FLOP WHILE TRASH MAKES BILLIONS OF DOLLARS :sadben::sadben::sadben: 900/4B (4.44x) 15/38 (2.53x)

Sleepless - Faces direct competition in the adult crowd this weekend alone from Silence, Patriots Day, and Live by Night.  Some people might come for Jamie Foxx, but I wouldn't count on it.  Don't expect much.  6/15 (2.5x)

Live by Night - The toxic reviews didn't immediately turn me off from this becoming a box office success, and it still hasn't.  Affleck has shown that he can successfully lead a poorly reviewed movie to great numbers (in fact, it was this year with The Accountant).  While I think Live by Night won't reach Accountant numbers due to way too much fierce competition, it should still be a relatively solid hit.  20/60 (3x)

Patriots Day - Deepwater Horizon was able to reach 60M earlier this year, with less Oscar buzz and being a Berg/Wahlberg production.  Patriots Day, however, is gaining a considerable amount of traction, and with Live by Night getting poor reviews and Silence looking to be too mainstream-unfriendly, this could be a bit of a breakout amongst people looking for a compelling drama.  Lone Survivor has previously done great numbers in this same release windows, and this could do the same if marketing begins to ramp up in this next week.  On top of all this, aside from Wahlberg in the cast, it also has J.K. Simmons, John Goodman, Kevin Bacon, and Michelle Monaghan.  Fuck it, this movie is screaming breakout to me.  Let's go a bit risky on this, shall we?  30/120 (4x)

Silence - Scorsese directing 2/12-3 hour long movies has been done before, but they really stick when they have one particular widely appealing star.  The Departed, The Aviator, and Wolf of Wall Street all had Leo.  It's no secret that he's the driving force behind most recent Scorsese movies success.  However, this one doesn't have that.  It has Neeson, Garfield, and Driver, but that's certainly not enough, especially when none of them are guaranteed draws.  I think the GA might initially reject the movie, but it should have good WoM from Oscar season and have a very solid final sum.  10/50 (5x)

• Like 6

Because I'm not going to make my own thread, these 9 predictions of mine are the only truly CONTROVERSIAL predictions I made in the top 2017 thread.

A Dog's Purpose - 32.5m / 102.4m (3.15x)
I think this one will click well with a decent amount of pet owners, and be able to pull in the family crowd that won't have anything to see.  I see it being well liked, despite being shat on by critics.

Beauty and the Beast - 174.2m / 503.4m (2.89x)
The hype is real on this one, I see it being more frontloaded than the Jungle Book due to people rushing out and seeing it, rather than it being a word of mouth hit (with a large opening weekend) like the Jungle Book was.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - 180.4m / 478m (2.65x)
This movie is going to be a smash hit, it's just a matter of how huge.  I see this pulling a dramatic increase from the first and be the runaway success of the summer.

The Mummy (2017) - 28.9m / 63.3m (2.19x)
Yeah, I see this movie bombing.  The movie looks like a turd, there's nothing in the trailer to appeal nostalgically like Jurassic World did.  Unless it's Mission Impossible, Tom Cruise isn't even a guaranteed 20m OW anymore.  Plus with Wonder Woman still going strong, I see this one dying to the competition.

Dunkirk - 65.2m / 243.8m (3.74x)
I was initially skeptical about this movie, but after seeing that 70mm IMAX prologue, I am sold withit doing well.  It's going to stand out in a Summer full of blockbuster tentpoles, and while I don't see it being Inception big, I do see it finding quite a large audience (especially with no August competition).

The Dark Tower - 58.4m / 242.3m
Sue Me, I think this is going to really break out.

Blade Runner 2049 - 40.2m / 180m (4.47x)
The Box Office will be itching for a breakout, and I think Blade Runner 2049 is the movie to do it.  The trailers are gripping, Harrison Ford is in it, Villeneuve will ensure that it's a high quality movie, this should be a smashing success.

Coco - 65.2m / 320m (4.91x)
We haven't seen much for it yet, but I have a feeling this won't be the Pixar dud that people are expecting it to be.  In fact, I think this will do smashing numbers.  It should appeal to broadamount of audience members, I think it looks quite promising in quality, and when Pixar delivers quality they tend to also deliver the Box Office.

Star Wars: Episode VIII - 265.5m / 1003.6m (3.78x)
I'm going all in on this prediction.  Smashing the OW record and the All-Time DOM record, while also being the first movie to ever reach 1b domestic.  The Carrie Fisher effect will happen.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The Bye Bye Man - I'm gonna be quoting NSYNC a lot during this prediction...(just kidding but you get my point).  So anyways, the one and only thing this movie has going for it is...well...it's a horror movie in January and it could potentially breakout?  Given the terrible reception to the trailer...yeah no.  No one gives a shit about this movie.  It'll die at the box office, and have toxic WoM with it.  Expecting anything big is setting yourself up for disappointment.  Bye bye.  5/10 (2x)

Monster Trucks - I'm going to try to refrain from letting my religious beliefs interfere with my prediction.  Hmm, well how about we check what the movie has going for it.  It could pull in a new family audience over MLK day weekend, the same way The Nut Job did (which ended with 64M).  It could appeal to some fans out there who might like Lucas Till and Jane Levy.  There seems to be some people online who genuinely want to see this...hmm...AGH I HATE THIS WHY DOES THIS MOVIE HAVE TO FLOP WHILE TRASH MAKES BILLIONS OF DOLLARS :sadben::sadben::sadben: 900/4B (4.44x) 15/38 (2.53x)

Sleepless - Faces direct competition in the adult crowd this weekend alone from Silence, Patriots Day, and Live by Night.  Some people might come for Jamie Foxx, but I wouldn't count on it.  Don't expect much.  6/15 (2.5x)

Live by Night - The toxic reviews didn't immediately turn me off from this becoming a box office success, and it still hasn't.  Affleck has shown that he can successfully lead a poorly reviewed movie to great numbers (in fact, it was this year with The Accountant).  While I think Live by Night won't reach Accountant numbers due to way too much fierce competition, it should still be a relatively solid hit.  20/60 (3x)

Patriots Day - Deepwater Horizon was able to reach 60M earlier this year, with less Oscar buzz and being a Berg/Wahlberg production.  Patriots Day, however, is gaining a considerable amount of traction, and with Live by Night getting poor reviews and Silence looking to be too mainstream-unfriendly, this could be a bit of a breakout amongst people looking for a compelling drama.  Lone Survivor has previously done great numbers in this same release windows, and this could do the same if marketing begins to ramp up in this next week.  On top of all this, aside from Wahlberg in the cast, it also has J.K. Simmons, John Goodman, Kevin Bacon, and Michelle Monaghan.  Fuck it, this movie is screaming breakout to me.  Let's go a bit risky on this, shall we?  30/120 (4x)

Silence - Scorsese directing 2/12-3 hour long movies has been done before, but they really stick when they have one particular widely appealing star.  The Departed, The Aviator, and Wolf of Wall Street all had Leo.  It's no secret that he's the driving force behind most recent Scorsese movies success.  However, this one doesn't have that.  It has Neeson, Garfield, and Driver, but that's certainly not enough, especially when none of them are guaranteed draws.  I think the GA might initially reject the movie, but it should have good WoM from Oscar season and have a very solid final sum.  10/50 (5x)