FlashMaster659

Thursday #s - (Asgard2) R1 16.8m, Sing 15.3m

Sooo, SW not being received that well last year there acc to the China thread (not speaking about money, but reputation = sword fights lame, too old style looking,...)

Disney China making a translation mistake for SW R1's title and screening audience not reacting that good about that (see misleading) and some other details... Difficult release date, dropped exchange rate,... and we speak here before the release, the GA there had any chance to react... already about how much impact the local actors may have or may have not - without looking at all details?

If the voice actors are as bad as I feel they are here (meaning changing 'happiness', where no is in the original and other strange changes), I'd like to add that point to the list for checking that there too.

Way too soon in my POV

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Sooo, SW not being received that well last year there acc to the China thread (not speaking about money, but reputation = sword fights lame, too old style looking,...)

Disney China making a translation mistake for SW R1's title and screening audience not reacting that good about that (see misleading) and some other details... Difficult release date, dropped exchange rate,... and we speak here before the release, the GA there had any chance to react... already about how much impact the local actors may have or may have not - without looking at all details?

If the voice actors are as bad as I feel they are here (meaning changing 'happiness', where no is in the original and other strange changes), I'd like to add that point to the list for checking that there too.

Way too soon in my POV

What was the translation mistake?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

What was the translation mistake?

If I remember it right, the term used in the Chinese film title... was spin-of - but there are different terms - they used it as 'outside of the ...' = it was understood to be a standalone, I think it was Gavin Feng who explained it - way better than me here

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

If I remember it right, the term used in the Chinese film title... was spin-of - but there are different terms - they used it as 'outside of the ...' = it was understood to be a standalone, I think it was Gavin Feng who explained it - way better than me here

Thanks, I'll have to search for it. I've never really thought about how hard some of these titles must be to translate. I remember that Zootopia's Chinese title literally translates as Crazy Animal City.  

• Like 1

@elcaballero I found the text, it was written in the SW R1 thread at 21 Dec by @TigerPaw (but I think there was a bit more elsewhere)

BUT.. the issue is the title of Rogue One in Mandarin. It is not A Star Wars story. But the literal translation - is Hero Call Sign One: Star Wars Spin-off. (In chinese spinoff is written as "outside" story Wai Zhuan)

This title is turning alot of people off. They don't think it as episode 3.5 and just see it as a seperate timeline altogether where Vader is alive, lol. Non-fans especially think this is not related to the original stories at all.

This is a big failure from Disney's part imo. Donnie Yen is saving alot of box office but the negative impact of that badly translated title is just too much.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Thanks, I'll have to search for it. I've never really thought about how hard some of these titles must be to translate. I remember that Zootopia's Chinese title literally translates as Crazy Animal City.  

Um....yeah, it was crazy animal city.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

@elcaballero I found the text, it was written in the SW R1 thread at 21 Dec by @TigerPaw (but I think there was a bit more elsewhere)

Thanks! There was a surprising amount of confusion in the US about where RO slotted in the timeline, so I can definitely see how it could be confusing over there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Thanks! There was a surprising amount of confusion in the US about where RO slotted in the timeline, so I can definitely see how it could be confusing over there.

Yes, but in the English title there was no 'it is not part of the main series / main series world (depending on...)' detail included = I can not only understand confusion, but also a bit of irritation in this case

(see bold text especially)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, POTUS said:

That estimate might not be recent. They were expecting 6% growth in local currency, that would have bumped GDP to $11.4b however the yuan dropped 6% vs the dollar negating the gain(in dollars), making the YoY flat in international reporting.

The ppp is high in china, however that's due to a high rural population with very low living expenses.  They cannot go to the movies. SK is highly urban (access to theaters) with relatively  low expenses to GDP giving them more disposable income(more money to spend on movies). Migration to cities is slowing and the "ghost cities" are having a hard time filling up. Japan had massive growth for 25 year and it went dead flat in 1990 as well as their box office. Been virtually flat ever since. Like all other major economies in history,  China will (signs of it starting) experience a flattening of the curve and the box office has already caught up to the economy, so it will go as the economy goes, going forward. 

I would expect that the IMF takes things such as currency movements into account before releasing any numbers. Especially a crucial relationship such as that between the USD & the yuan. The fact that the China still has large swathes of its population in rural areas should be considered bullish for its long-term BO prospects since this still allows for further waves of urbanization, i.e. the increase of the Chinese movie-going population. Also, all these reports in the Western media about China's "Ghost Cities" are hugely exaggerated. As for the Japanese comparisons. Present-day China is nowhere near as rich as Japan was by the early '90s, therefore there's absolutely no grounds in expecting China to slow-down in any similar fashion. If anything, China's rise from one of the poorest countries in the world to one with low-to-medium incomes has been far more rapid and more successful than anything else witnessed before (especially when one considers China's demographic size) Western economists have been underestimating the Chinese authorities and economic potential for decades now, and persist in doing so to this very day. Chinese economic growth has definitely slowed and will slow further in the coming years, but that's coming from an earth-shattering growth rate of around 10% that went on and on for decades. Even if China slows down to say 4% for the next decade, it will easily still be outrunning any western economy and by extension so will be the case at the BO as well. China has been experiencing some problems with the USD strength in recent years, which is something that will reverse within the next two years at the max. Oh, and the Japanese economy has not gone flat since 1990, it merely slowed down even more than say the US or UK economies due to its flat/declining population (since the Japanese do not allow much immigration) In per capita terms, Japan has performed better than many western economies since 1990. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, La Binoche said:

They've been marketing the shit out of this BIG BUDGET SCI-FI TENTPOLE for a year. It's a flop and bland & blander can't sell tickets. 

I have to disagree here.  They didn't have a single shred of marketing until late September.  It was possibly one of the least marketed big budget movies I have ever seen.  It was so bad that many of us here were wondering if this was going to be pushed because of the legal issues.  

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I have to disagree here.  They didn't have a single shred of marketing until late September.  It was possibly one of the least marketed big budget movies I have ever seen.  It was so bad that many of us here were wondering if this was going to be pushed because of the legal issues.  

La Binoche seems to keep trying to spin that Pratt and JLaw aren't draws, yet they're leading a poorly reviewed, poorly marketed original sci-fi movie to quite possibly 100M.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

La Binoche seems to keep trying to spin that Pratt and JLaw aren't draws, yet they're leading a poorly reviewed, poorly marketed original sci-fi movie to quite possibly 100M.

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Missed all the Donnie Yen talk earlier, but I think his character was a great idea, likable, and criminally underused yet still managed to be the best character in the movie along with the droid.  As for the reason he was cast, I don't necessarily think he himself was cast to pander to the Chinese market, but I definitely think the generic big gun guy was.  I would've scrapped pointless generic big gun guy's character entirely and given all of his screen time to Donnie Yen so they could've done more with him.  Like, give him more action scenes and scenes that tell us more about him.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Hollywood stars are not what they used to be. Remember when Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts could turn almost every movie (w/o extravaganza) into a blockbuster? But Pratt and JLaw are as good as it gets nowadays. And yes, I agree with you, they are literally pulling an otherwise hopeless movie into some semi-decent BO performance in NA and I suspect more than decent in the rest of the world, where star power counts a bit more than domestically. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 10:06 PM, PPZVGOS said:

Hollywood stars are not what they used to be. Remember when Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts could turn almost every movie (w/o extravaganza) into a blockbuster? But Pratt and JLaw are as good as it gets nowadays. And yes, I agree with you, they are literally pulling an otherwise hopeless movie into some semi-decent BO performance in NA and I suspect more than decent in the rest of the world, where star power counts a bit more than domestically. 

Like Cutthroat Island?