FlashMaster659

Thursday #s - (Asgard2) R1 16.8m, Sing 15.3m

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

When I took my niece's to see it, we were with three other young girls around their age. So between the ages of 3 and 7. They absolutely loved it just like I knew they would. They were singing the songs on the way out and they were giddy when they were talking about the singing Pig and the elephant and the gorilla and so on. It's definitely gaining momentum and although my box office predicting skills seem to suck this year LOL it would not surprise me to see this make a legitimate push for 300.

I have 3 very young nieces myself, and I can confirm that little girls around the ages you refer to are just suckers for singing animals. Just like we go weak at the knees with Darth Vader kicking rebel butt, very young girls just explode with joy over singing animals. 

And yes, I also have a suspicion that this may gun for $300M domestically. Rogue One will keep the number one spot for this weekend as well as the coming weekdays, but from thereon then, I see Sing taking the initiative during weekends. 

• Like 2

solid hold for R1 - was hoping for over 17 but any drop less than 10% is fine, great hold for Sing. Would be interested to see Moana's number if RTH has it.

sing and Moana holds during the week have been fantastic. Moana's holds have been even better than Sings.

R1 is playing a little older than Sing and Moana. i would expect bigger weekend jumps for it, and i also suspect it's holds starting next week may be a little stronger than Moana and Sing since it doesn't skew as young and kids will start going back to school as the week progresses.

This is quite obviously a family movie watching week as i think it was in 2011 as well. Alvin, We Bought a Zoo and Tin Tin all had much better weekday holds than MI and Sherlock, but on the weekend MI and Sherlock had much larger rises on Friday and Sunday and smaller drop on Saturday than the family movies. interestingly, on Monday the 2nd the family movies had better holds as i expect families were taking one last day to see them.

Haven't seen Moana's number but I suspect Disney is staying on track for 3B on Saturday. Only needs 3.5 from Moana and DS combined for Thursday (and i'm thinking Moana was likely above 4) to stay ahead of the curve.

• Like 3

Was about to post that family movies in 2011 held up worse over the weekend than the adult-oriented stuff did. Probably the effect of kids having off but many adults still having to work during the week (kinda the inverse of how it normally is).

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Was about to post that family movies in 2011 held up worse over the weekend than the adult-oriented stuff did. Probably the effect of kids having off but many adults still having to work during the week (kinda the inverse of how it normally is).

All kids have free-time during the holidays, while this is definitely not the case with every adult, hence the inversion of the regular fluctuations of weekdays/weekends. 

• Like 2

With a 16.8 Friday I still see it getting 57-58 for the 3day which is where expectations should be based on 2011. In other words normal. 

And if it tracks anywhere close to Ghost protocol or Holmes 2 then a 72-74 4day is assured. Sing isn't coming close to that. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

With a 16.8 Friday I still see it getting 57-58 for the 3day which is where expectations should be based on 2011. In other words normal. 

And if it tracks anywhere close to Ghost protocol or Holmes 2 then a 72-74 4day is assured. Sing isn't coming close to that. 

I had this weekend pegged for about $56M but was starting to think that was too low. Maybe not....

• Like 2

I feel that Rogue One and Sing are cannibalising each other to a certain extent. 

Saying there is no cannibalism at all is just unrealistic IMO. I may be wrong, but my question is, if there was no Sing, will Rogue One be doing better? My own answer is Yes..

• Like 2

Just now, TigerPaw said:

I feel that Rogue One and Sing are cannibalising each other to a certain extent. 

Saying there is no cannibalism at all is just unrealistic IMO. I may be wrong, but my question is, if there was no Sing, will Rogue One be doing better? My own answer is Yes..

Eh, maybe. But there's a lot of room for multiple movies to succeed during the holidays, probably more than any other time of year. A lot of people are going to the movies, many multiple times.

• Like 1

In 

Just now, TigerPaw said:

In this case let's just say : if there was no other movie at all, would Rogue One be doing better? 

it's just box office game... movies eating at each other like f.... raptors!

they do what they do at their time of release.

Nevermind,

I expert 60-62 for RO for the 3 days

12-15 bt next monday

450M total as of 01/02/2016

• Like 1

One other note from looking at 2011. After MLK week most of the movies had made 90% of their final gross and would only get about another 10% after that. We Bought a Zoo did get 15% after MLK week.

And family movies are hit a lot harder the week after the 2nd weekend of Jan (6-8) than the non family movies. Their drops were in the 55-60% range for the week compared to 35-45% for the non family movies. 

After New Year's weekend the family movies simply don't hold as well as the non family movies. 

• Like 2

Possibles scenarios for R1

With a 25% increase (closer to MI4)

21M Friday

18M Saturday (-15%)

20.5M Sunday (+15%)

17.5M Monday (-15%)

59.5M / 77M (3day / 4day)

452M AFTER HOLIDAYS

With a 20% increase (closer to SH2)

20M

17M

19.5M

16.5M

56.5M / 73M

448M AFTER HOLIDAYS

• Like 2

Fandango's most anticipated movies for 2017 has come out (looking back on 2016 most, but not all of their top 10 did quite well).

interestingly, Disney has the 3 most anticipated movies for 2017.

Most Anticipated Movie (in descending order):
Star Wars: Episode VIII
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
Disney’s Beauty And The Beast
Wonder Woman
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Justice League
The Fate Of The Furious
Fifty Shades Darker
Logan
Despicable Me 3

For comparison here is 2016's

Most Anticipated Movie:

1.      Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16)

2.      Finding Dory (June 17)

3.      Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25)

4.       Untitled Jason Bourne Movie (July 29)

5.      Captain America: Civil War (May 6)

6.      Star Trek Beyond (July 22)

7.      Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)

8.      X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27)

9.      Zoolander No. 2 (February 12)

10.  The Jungle Book (April 15)

Edited by RamblinRed
adding 2016
  • Like 5