FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

12 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

That is a terrible projected multiplier for John Wick, just 2.25x its opening weekend?

I have never seen part 1, but I think acc to some reactions here it is counted as a fan driven film/franchise/...?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I have never seen part 1, but I think acc to some reactions here it is counted as a fan driven film/franchise/...?

Part One created a fan base and it only got bigger once it hit Blue Ray/DVD, Netflix etc.

It did 14.4m OW/43m domestic, the 20m/45m in that long range estimate seems pretty low (only increasing 2m from the first?) for a movie that garnered a rabid fanbase.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Incarnadine said:

That is a terrible projected multiplier for John Wick, just 2.25x its opening weekend?

Bo.com is probably basing their projections off how previous sequels to mid-size hits have performed, since often times they're viewed as unnecessary. Not sure that'll be the case with JW2 though, unless it actually somehow end up "sucking".

I absolutely adored lala land right up until the end. The end was probably one of the worst endings I've ever seen in the history of my film going life. It absolutely destroyed me. I'm actually really upset right now LOL

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I absolutely adored lala land right up until the end. The end was probably one of the worst endings I've ever seen in the history of my film going life. It absolutely destroyed me. I'm actually really upset right now LOL

The ending was incredible, what are you talking about?!?

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Now you've got me really curious! lol

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

The ending was fucking fantastic, it made me cry with either tears of sadness or tears of joy.  Maybe a bit of both?  The ending made it even better.

6 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

There is definitely a segment of the audience that was bummed by the ending, at the last showing I saw 2 girls behind me both shouted "no !" at the end.

Personally, I thought it was fitting, but I can see how...

Spoiler

people would have liked it if the alternate reality clip of how things might have gone if just a couple of things had gone slightly differently would have made for a more traditional happy ending. As it is they both have a kind of happy ending as they both realized their dreams and Mia found a good man and has a happy family, but it is a bit bitter sweet as they might have had all that and each other too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

I got my Rogue One tickets for 8 p.m. Thursday at AMC CityWalk 19 70mm 2D IMAX. I have never seen a movie like that before, so it's going to be pretty sweet I think. 

Was any of Rogue One shot with IMAX cameras? If not, then all you will see is a blow-up of a regular movie on a huge screen. The Dunkirk 70mm IMAX footage in front of the movie should be pretty impressive though since you've never experienced 70mm IMAX projection. 

LaLa Land:  The ending is the best part?  How?

Spoiler

You have this beautifully written movie about two people that you are invested in.  You spend two hours with them.  They fall in love, they follow their dreams and you spend good times with them and bad times and you have an emotional connection with them.  Then she is married to some yahoo and has a kid and she sees him in the club that she named and then they nod to one another.  This isn't Casablanca.  I wanted them to make it.  I loved them together and for me it was a slap in the face.  It didn't fit with the rest of the film.  I wanted to leave the film on a high note and this was anything but a high.  Sorry but it really pissed me off.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Hide contents

You have this beautifully written movie about two people that you are invested in.  You spend two hours with them.  They fall in love, they follow their dreams and you spend good times with them and bad times and you have an emotional connection with them.  Then she is married to some yahoo and has a kid and she sees him in the club that she named and then they nod to one another.  This isn't Casablanca.  I wanted them to make it.  I loved them together and for me it was a slap in the face.  It didn't fit with the rest of the film.  I wanted to leave the film on a high note and this was anything but a high.  Sorry but it really pissed me off.  

The whole ending was showing that, while things don't always go as you plan, if you work to accomplish your dreams, you can still be happy.  Love can go down many paths, it can end and begin in unexpected areas.  Them nodding to each other as they parted ways is one of the most emotional moments in any movie I've seen this year.  It felt like the perfect way to end such a fantastic movie, with them thinking of each other despite the different paths they took. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Hide contents

Except

Spoiler

Their long-term dreams were incompatible. Sebastian would essentially have had to give up on his dream to be with Mia. That's part of what Mia realizes when she has her alternate timeline daydream while Seb plays in his club. In her fantasy they were totally happy, but in reality she knows Seb would have always had a regret and potential resentfulness that he had to put his own goals aside.

I'm not a big fan of the film but the ending makes sense.

• Like 6