aabattery

AABATTERY's Top 25 of 2016 and Top 15 of 2016 of 2017 | Two lists for the price of one!

7 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

Great minds think alike.

Reveal hidden contents

True, I was about to give you a hard time about Civil War, but then I remembered I included Deadpool in my top three.

• Like 1

Also based on the 3 lists posted/made so far the cumulative top 10 is

1.       Arrival 

2.       La La Land 

3.       Hell or High Water 

4.       Hunt for the Wilderpeople 

5.       Hacksaw Ridge 

6.       Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 

7.       A Monster Calls 

8.       Deadpool 

9.       Zootopia 

10.   Sing Street 

I'll keep updating it as people make their lists

• Like 4

On 1/1/2017 at 6:20 PM, AABATTERY said:

I’ve gushed about before on here. Borderline shilling at times. But if you watch any movie I’ve put on this list, please let it be this one. And then put it on your top 25 so it gets on the big list :ph34r:. The screenplay is hilarious and touching and the characters are delightful. I just think this movie is really, really good.

So I rented* this on Google Play a few days ago, in large part because of your "shilling". I'm pretty sure it would have escaped my notice otherwise. Finally got around to watching it today, and I loved it - so thanks for bringing it to my attention. It's an absolute crime how limited of a release it had in North America.

I have five 2016 films I'm still planning on watching, but right now I think it'd be in third place. Would be surprised if more than one or two of the five films I'm planning on watching surpass it.

*Liked it so much, I actually ended up purchasing it afterwards.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

So I rented* this on Google Play a few days ago, in large part because of your "shilling". I'm pretty sure it would have escaped my notice otherwise. Finally got around to watching it today, and I loved it - so thanks for bringing it to my attention. It's an absolute crime how limited of a release it had in North America.

I have five 2016 films I'm still planning on watching, but right now I think it'd be in third place. Would be surprised if more than one or two of the five films I'm planning on watching surpass it.

*Liked it so much, I actually ended up purchasing it afterwards.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It really is a great little film.

• Like 1

Rk3LsWo.png

I'm back! My first list was probably a little premature since I still had so many things left to see, and in the last couple of months I've seen some things that definitely would have made the list. So I decided to make another one. And so here we are, with a top 15 of 2016 of 2017! It will also probably be premature but university starts up next week and I've had a week off so whatever.

• Like 2

xNwkWlj.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 73%

Box Office: 29.25M

This one was odd. It's a very unconventional movie, and I think it works to it's benefit. The performances are great across the board and the movie itself is super pretty. I wasn't fully on board with it and some stuff just seemed to be weird for the sake of weird but overall it was enjoyable. I'm glad Michael Shannon got the nomination for this, even if this wasn't his best work. The guy deserves all of the recognition. The more I think about it, the more I think it was kind of dumb but the actors did a really great job and Tom Ford does know how to handle a camera so despite my reservations on the story itself, it definitely deserves it's recognition.

• Like 4

ofiSbJl.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 80%

Box Office: 41.37M

Marky Mark marky marks it up in a Peter Berg movie. Those two have found a nice little niche in recreating recent disasters (not box office wise though). This one was probably too soon but it was done really well. It's an engaging film through and through and while it doesn't offer a new spin on the story, I think that's the best way to do it. It's Peter Berg so it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything but I had a good time with it. I will say that Berg is fucking great at putting you right in the action, if this and Deepwater Horizon are anything to go by. The bombing scene and subsequent action scenes are really intense and are a thrill to watch. JK Simmons wasn't in it enough but it was satisfying to watch him tackle a terrorist so points for that.

• Like 3

NBu9gyQ.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 86%

Box Office: 100.4M+

This is why I had a drawing of Dev Patel as a lion on hand in the Oscar thread. Anyway, this was a good time. The first half was really, really good. The second half was a bit of a disappointment and definitely dragged this down the list but it was fine enough; it just didn't live up to the first half. Also Dev Patel was not a supporting actor in this so that was stupid, but that's on the Weinstein's, not the filmmakers. Sunny Pawar was absolutely fantastic, which might be why the second half felt weaker to me. Rooney Mara was a bit of waste; her character ultimately felt a little pointless to me. This has kind of turned into me writing about things I didn't like so sorry about that. The movie is still good. It has a fantastic ending that made you feel happy inside and it is technically brilliant throughout. It's not perfect but it's definitely worth the watch.

• Like 3

rqtSEYv.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 87%

Box Office: 43M

Another one that had some really great parts and some other parts that dragged the whole thing down for me. Basically, the monster parts were fucking great. Those scnes were some of my favourite things I saw from 2016's suite of releases. Liam Neeson kills it and the kid is pretty great too. The parts with his family was good as well. Felicity Jones also puts in a great performance. My issue was the bullies at his school. They had some of the weirdest writing I've seen in a while. They were just kind of there, saying weird shit then beating on him. They just felt really off to me and kind of dragged the whole thing down. Still good though. It was a good watch, fun at times and emotional at others.

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 3

ofMyAYC.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 79%

Box Office: 1.8M

American Honey is an interesting film. It feels fresh and different; it has a perspective on coming-of-age that I don't think I've ever seen before. Sasha Lane delivers an excellent debut performance and the rest of the cast is equally great. Shia LaBeouf was beautifully weird (a total dick though (his character not the guy himself)). His career is certainly an interesting one. Most of all, it feels real. Nothing feels unearned or unrealistic. The aspect ratio was an interesting choice. I don't know enough about that sort of thing to know why they did it like that  to but it was interesting.

• Like 3

ebxekfX.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 93%

Box Office: 594K

It's another Werner Herzog documentary! Love his stuff. This isn't his best work, but still endlessly fascinating. That's pretty much the gist of it.

I'm gonna add-on to this by saying that everyone should watch Grizzly Man. That documentary is so damn good.

• Like 3

wXCjdGE.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 93%

Box Office: 12.45M

This is a brutally real film with some really genuine performances. Ken Loach airs some serious beef with this one.

Fun story to go along with this one; I watched this on a long train ride and the drunk old dude behind me leaned over the chair and said that the main character is a spy (he isn't). Then he asked if I knew about Stray Ham and said that Stray Ham has 3 rules - Rule Number 1: "Don't change the deal.", Rule Number 2: "No names", and Rule Number 3: "Never open the package." So I think he was talking about Statham in The Transporter. Then he kept talking about it for like 10 minutes. Good times.

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 3

3pjzlDF.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 89%

Box Office: 8.4M

This is a lovely little film. It's very understated but balanced well by some fantastic performances by Ruth Negga an Joel Edgerton. Not enough Michael Shannon, but I can forgive that. I can't really think of much else to say without parroting what others have already said but it's a great movie. Probably my favourite I've watched of Jeff Nichols work.

• Like 3

IPkUC9K.png

Trailer

IMDB

RT: 92%

Box Office: 186M+

This one is nice. The direction is competent enough; nothing special, but can't really fault it on anything. The story and acting though is an absolute delight. Everyone kills it in their roles. Janelle Monae in particular has quickly become on of my favourite actresses. Glen Powell shows his incredible talent as the worlds greatest supporting actor, although not quite as good as his performance in Everybody Wants Some!! The story is great, especially since the characters are real people. Like most people, I hadn't heard of the three leading ladies and it was cool to see their story on the big screen. It's great to see a movie like this become a box office smash, and I'm looking forward to whatever Janelle Monae does next :wub:.

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 3