The Panda

Your 10 Bold 2017 Predictions

1. War for the Planet of the Apes & Spider-Man: Homecoming over $1B WW.

2. Guardians 2 & Fast 8 around $1.2-1.3B WW.

3. Leap! over Escape from Planet Earth both DOM & WW as the biggest grossing animated film from Weinstein Company.

4. Coco under Finding Nemo ($380M DOM), but over Inside Out ($356M DOM). Coco = ($371M)

5. Both The Boss Baby & Captain Underpants over $140-150M DOM.

6. DM3 over $400M DOM & $1.2B WW.

7. Thor: Ragnarok over $300M+ DOM & 1B WW.

8. Smurfs: The Lost Village over The Smurfs 2, WW.

9. Dunkirk over Interstellar WW.

10. Guardians 2 over $450-500M DOM.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

1) Fifty Shades darker DOM total under Grey's OW

2) Beauty and the Beast under $350M

3) Coco (340M) over DM3 (260M)

4) Fate and Furious overseas over SW8 overseas total

5) SW8 under a 10% drop DOM from TFA

7 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Top 5 of the year, or all time? Just wanna know.

Coco will not make Top 5 DOM for the YEAR.  Some mix of Lego (both movies), DM3, Cars 3, Emoji, Captain Underpants, and either Boss Baby/The Star/Smurfs will all top it:)...

Now, this may be a little negative for Coco, but someone wanted bold, and I can see this happening for all the reasons I said before:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Guessing either Justice League or Spider Man Homecoming?

Yup, and why pick b/c it could be either til we know which one is any good:)...I'm leaning Justice League to make up for Coco not hitting its desired male audience and it becoming the Thanksgiving movie and carrying through as a family Xmas movie...but it could as easily be Spidey b/c he's one of the most popular characters and if it's finally a good Spidey movie, it will be unstoppable:)...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yup, and why pick b/c it could be either til we know which one is any good:)...I'm leaning Justice League to make up for Coco not hitting its desired male audience and it becoming the Thanksgiving movie and carrying through as a family Xmas movie...but it could as easily be Spidey b/c he's one of the most popular characters and if it's finally a good Spidey movie, it will be unstoppable:)...

One of my bold predictions was that JL, Homecoming, and Guardians 2 all make $1B+ WW.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Coco will not make Top 5 DOM for the YEAR.  Some mix of Lego (both movies), DM3, Cars 3, Emoji, and either Boss Baby/The Star/Smurfs will all top it:)...

Now, this may be a little negative for Coco, but someone wanted bold, and I can see this happening for all the reasons I said before:)...

Oooh, that's quite bold. Alright then, though. This is the place for that, so I'm not complaining.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, YourMother said:

One of my bold predictions was that JL, Homecoming, and Guardians 2 all make $1B+ WW.

JL prediction is bold because it doesn't look like a 1B grosser if BvS is anything to go by.

But Spiderman is totally sold on RDJ/Tony/Iron Man who is Marvel's billion dollar man (no Marvel movie without him made 1b) so bold would be prediction that it falls short of 1B.

GOTG Vol 2 would have to suck real hard not to increase to 1B from GOTG's 700+M total, so I wouldn't call that bold either. 

Let'a see...Wonder Woman makes more than Justice League, Thor 3 fails to top its predecessor domestically (over/under $200m seems about right), Dunkirk breaks out to Inception-level numbers ($250m+) and Valerian bombs ($75m-ish), Annabelle 2 and It are the highest-grossing films worldwide in August and September ($250m each seems right), Ninjago doesn't flop, but isn't a huge success ($100m domestic, $200m worldwide), etc. etc.

19 hours ago, La La Panda said:

We used to have these threads yearly, so I figured I'd make one.

Heres my 10

1.Wonder Woman's OD > The Mummy DOM

2.Star Wars Episode 8 > 1 Billion DOM

3.Beauty and the Beast > 500m DOM

4.Guardians of the Galaxy 2 > Age of Ultron DOM and WW

5.A Dog's Purpose > 100m DOM

6.Transformers: The Last Knight + Pirates 5  < 200m DOM but over 900m WW (each)

7.The Dark Tower and Dunkirk > 200m DOM (each)

8.Blade Runner 2049 > Interstellar DOM

9.Wonder Woman OW, DOM, and WW > The Justice League OW, DOM and WW

10.Coco is the biggest animated film DOM and WW

Not that I agree with any of the other predictions but.... how would Wonder Woman beat Justice League, when she is Justice League? Surely everyone who sees Wonder Woman will be seeing Justice League anyway, plus JL will attract other crowds. Not the other way around.

2 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Not that I agree with any of the other predictions but.... how would Wonder Woman beat Justice League, when she is Justice League? Surely everyone who sees Wonder Woman will be seeing Justice League anyway, plus JL will attract other crowds. Not the other way around.

Not necessarily. Other characters may be a turn off. I know that Marvel's team-up movies do better than individual movies (Iron Man 3 being an exception) but maybe DC turns out the opposite? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

That's why the title of the thread says bold predictions.

23 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

I think people will be excited about Wonder Woman (it's higher on the anticipation meter than Justice League actually).  I also think Patty Jenkins will deliver stronger quality than previous DCCU movies, leading to better legs.

I think it's also a safe bet that's Justice League is poorly received, given Snyder's track record.  Justice League could also end up like Mockingjay Pt 2 and take a hit from the Episode 8 mania hype that will be going on.

Also, if Wonder Woman turns out to be not so stellar (entirely possible given DCCU track record) then I think that will really hurt JL.  We've also seen from the last few Marvel team up movies that expansive universes have drawbacks too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not necessarily. Other characters may be a turn off. I know that Marvel's team-up movies do better than individual movies (Iron Man 3 being an exception) but maybe DC turns out the opposite? 

Unless WB decided to spend way less money on Justice League, that is impossible.

1 hour ago, Treecraft said:

Minions beat Despicable Me :ph34r:

Edited by Durden
  • Like 1

Prediction #7 Snatched DOM < $50M Total.  Preview looks like awful...and there are only so many fans of the 2 leads that will show up no matter the movie.  

And b/c I've got another lined up:)...

Prediction #8 Pirates 5 DOM < Baywatch DOM (and 8a - Pirates OW DOM < Baywatch OW DOM) - I have that little faith in a #5 sequel and that much faith that fans may just want something really silly Memorial Day weekend (especially since Snatched will have crashed and burned) - it's a time to lighten up and party at the beach/pools, and I think Baywatch couldn't have a better timed release.  It worked for the Hangover sequels and they weren't any good...