Porthos

1/3/17 Tuesday Numbers (Asgard) R1 6.4, Sing 6.3

2 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

The theaters were packed here Yesterday. I am bit surprised at that number for Rogue one. I thought it would be a little bit higher.

not saying the number couldn't have been better, but a lot of places, people went back to work and school yesterday.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

EDIT: Off topic really. But felt like giving a shout out to the movie as it's been buried under the hype.

1. was about an actual in release film

2. numbers = IMHO never OT in a numbers thread :)

Question to Pothos about a post out of the weekend thread. In tags as I do not like the appearance of the to a thread / post links.

Spoiler

Highlander? Me bad with names, and never know if names I know or feel as familiar about are translated or not.

• Like 2

O mei o mei, they are early today (estimate)

Daily Domestic Chart for Tuesday January 3rd, 2017

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (1) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Walt Disney $6,300,000 -60% 4,157 $1,516   $447,201,381 19

• Like 4

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

Fences has a prod budget of only 24m. It's cume so far is ~33m with a lot more to come. Marketing budget can't be very big.

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
#
Dec 16–18 25 $129,462 - 4 - $32,366 $129,462 1
Dec 23–25 7 $6,688,105 +5,066% 2,233 +2,229 $2,995 $6,879,620 2
Dec 23–26 7 $11,600,170 +8,860% 2,233 +2,229 $5,195 $11,791,685 2
Dec 30–Jan 1 6 $10,041,471 +50.1% 2,301 +68 $4,364 $29,743,615 3
Dec 30–Jan 2 6 $13,111,773 +96.0% 2,301 +68 $5,698 $32,813,917 3

Denzel is sooo consistent at the bo for such a long time.

EDIT: Off topic really. But felt like giving a shout out to the movie as it's been buried under the hype.

yep, his fandom works like a clock. It doesn't expand but it doesn't shrink. Any reasonably budgeted movie with him in the lead is profitable. Fences isn't an overseas player so 24M vs whatever it makes domestically is going to be a win for everyone. 

Another consistent opener is Tyler Perry. he's usually overlooked when fans talk about drawing power but he has his fandom that supports him and that's more than some overrated names can say. Also, he has added value - Star trek 09 and Gone, Girl benefited from his presence in marketing.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

That's a pretty nice international number! Glad to see R1's OS business starting to pick up. Are some overseas markets still on holidays? I know a lot of people here in Spain have off until January 8, and all schools are still out.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yep, his fandom works like a clock. It doesn't expand but it doesn't shrink. Any reasonably budgeted movie with him in the lead is profitable. Fences isn't an overseas player so 24M vs whatever it makes domestically is going to be a win for everyone. 

Another consistent opener is Tyler Perry. he's usually overlooked when fans talk about drawing power but he has his fandom that supports him and that's more than some overrated names can say. Also, he has added value - Star trek 09 and Gone, Girl benefited from his presence in marketing.

This has downsides though. Denzel's fanbase showed up pretty big at my theater last night and apparently a lot of them expected a popcorn movie. Very annoying behavior from people with ADD who can't be patient with a serious movie.

7 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

That's a pretty nice international number! Glad to see R1's OS business starting to pick up. Are some overseas markets still on holidays? I know a lot of people here in Spain have off until January 8, and all schools are still out.

Germany: 

2 states started at Monday

3 states started Tuesday

2 states started today

9 states have school holidays incl Friday.

1 state already being back to school has Friday closed

the most schools are closed at Saturday, a few in relation to all might have school at Saturday in all but 2 states. But usually the ones with Saturday will chose to move the open day to another day (the ones with Saturday are majorly doing a 2 week thing, one off, one on - at least in the past)

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wait, when exactly are the Oscar nominations?

89TH ACADEMY AWARDS KEY DATES

Academy key dates for the 2016 Awards season are: 

Saturday, November 12, 2016                    

The Governors Awards

Thursday, January 5, 2017            
Nominations voting opens

Friday, January 13, 2017                                
Nominations voting closes

Tuesday, January 24, 2017                        
Oscar Nominations Announcement

Monday, February 6, 2017                          
Oscar Nominees Luncheon

Saturday February 11, 2017                          
Scientific and Technical Awards

Monday, February 13, 2017                        
Final voting opens

Tuesday, February 21, 2017                       
Final voting closes

Oscar Sunday, February 26, 2017            
89th Academy Awards

http://www.oscars.org/oscars/89th-academy-awards-key-dates

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I'm hoping for $30M+ I mean even $30M is still about -40% and I think it can do that.

EDIT: Yeah let's say down 25% by Thursday like Game of Shadows and up 125% Friday from that $4.8M Thursday and you use the Sherlock 2 bumps and declines and you get $33M weekend. I think it could have a smaller bump Friday but a lower decline Sunday and still hit that $31-33M number. 

Yeah, I think $30m is pretty doable. $25m is the bare minimum IMO. 

Although, I think both Friday and Saturday jumps could be somewhat lighter than expected, maybe 70% (if some schools are still on a break).

TFA dropped 53% on its post-holiday week-end, but it didn't have New Year's Eve during the previous week-end deflating the numbers.

I think R1 can manage a better hold than that, since it will probably drop less due to deflated Saturday last week.

8 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

DEADPOOL :excited:

Your enthusiasm reminds me: get myself to kick in the own behind to finally watch it. For some reasons I forget that film is waiting for me repeatedly

is set to earn an estimated $25M-$26M in its fourth weekend

. CEO says it will have on live streaming service

Terms weren’t disclosed, but one person briefed on the deal said the purchase price approached $400M

Not sure what / with whom he talks, but I guess some people are not ... concentrated (?).. and forgetting that possibility?

My Android phone already has a "theater mode," although it's somewhat confusingly called "airplane mode."

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 3