WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

FWIW, Rogue One has faced infinitely more powerful competition than The Force Awakens ever did. Sing, Passengers, La La Land, Hidden figures, Fences, Moana, Why Him, AC etc etc

What did TFA had to face? Daddy's Home, Chipmunks, Sisters, The Revenant and The Hateful Eight? That was much weaker competition. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

FWIW, Rogue One has faced infinitely more powerful competition than The Force Awakens ever did. Sing, Passengers, La La Land, Hidden figures, Fences, Moana, Why Him, AC etc etc

What did TFA had to face? Daddy's Home, Chipmunks, Sisters, The Revenant and The Hateful Eight? That was much weaker competition. 

Daddy's Home and Revenant were both big hits and Chipmunks and Sisters did decent, too. But overall I certainly agree. However, it makes sense that RO has more competition because it was never gonna be an all-consuming juggernaut like TFA was. So studios weren't as afraid to schedule other films against it.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Daddy's Home and Revenant were both big hits and Chipmunks and Sisters did decent, too. But overall I certainly agree. However, it makes sense that RO has more competition because it was never gonna be an all-consuming juggernaut like TFA was. So studios weren't as afraid to schedule other films against it.

But other studios don't seem so afraid of Episode 8 this coming December. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

A Monster Calls is just a mega-bomb in North America.

I just it just looked too much like a kid's movie, and we've already had enough of those.

I think it was a movie without a target audience: too dark for kids, too juvenile-looking for adults. It likely would've bombed had it stayed in October as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The one-two punch of Jumanji and Pitch Perfect 3 should make for excellent counterprogramming against Episode 8 next Christmas.

I think Jumanji will do well but I wouldn't be surprised if PP3 drops from the last film. 

I wonder if WB should have kept Ready Player One in December, it'll probably still do great business in March 2018.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Jumanji will do well but I wouldn't be surprised if PP3 drops from the last film. 

I wonder if WB should have kept Ready Player One in December, it'll probably still do great business in March 2018.

Even if Pitch Perfect 3 drops by half from the second, it'll still make $90M and put the studio in the black.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Oh, in an overall context, it's fine. Just considering what Moana had been doing for the previous few weeks, it seemed like it could have gone ~1m higher this weekend, and didn't.

It's still probably going to have a final tally right around 250m, quite good, but not spectacular.

A 4.4x isn't spectacular(while crossing the 250dom mark)?

Damn the standards are really high around here.:depp:.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

A 4.4x isn't spectacular(while crossing the 250dom mark)?

Damn the standards are really high around here.:depp:.

Well, if you want to force everything into one of two buckets, that is amazing beyond all comprehension, or a flaming dumpster fire of failure, then, sure, Moana is spectacular. I don't find that dichotomy to be very useful.

I'm quite comfortable calling it a very good performance that isn't particularly amazing. It had an opening on par with BH6 and is going to finish ~30m higher because of a more favorable release date. This isn't saying that Moana should have done Frozen numbers, or even had Frozen legs off of its opening, but as it stands, its legs are only going to be slightly better than Tangled's. (If you go b OW/final ratio, it would need 233m to match Tangled. If you go by 5-day/final ratio, it would need 240m.) Good? Yes. Spectacular? No.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it was a movie without a target audience: too dark for kids, too juvenile-looking for adults. It likely would've bombed had it stayed in October as well.

Ironically, the movie explicitly states the story is about a child, too old to be a boy, and too young to be a man.

• Like 1

I got to see nocturnal animals and fences today. Both were pretty good although fences I have to say was a little bit tough to get through at times. 

42 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Well, if you want to force everything into one of two buckets, that is amazing beyond all comprehension, or a flaming dumpster fire of failure, then, sure, Moana is spectacular. I don't find that dichotomy to be very useful.

I'm quite comfortable calling it a very good performance that isn't particularly amazing. It had an opening on par with BH6 and is going to finish ~30m higher because of a more favorable release date. This isn't saying that Moana should have done Frozen numbers, or even had Frozen legs off of its opening, but as it stands, its legs are only going to be slightly better than Tangled's. (If you go b OW/final ratio, it would need 233m to match Tangled. If you go by 5-day/final ratio, it would need 240m.) Good? Yes. Spectacular? No.

I think a lot of you tend to over think it.

A 4.4x isn't anything less than spectacular . 250mil dom is a major success.

Edited by Brainiac5