WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

43 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I couldn't disagree more strongly. It's already questionable enough for ANY wide release including Rogue One to include 7 pm to midnight as part of opening "weekend," which by the way - not rocket science - isn't a weekend. Look up Thursday in the dictionary and I'm pretty sure it ain't the weekend ;) It's a stretch by any means.

But for a movie already in release? Yeah, ok, it "won" the weekend. Sure didn't win either Saturday or Sunday, but it won the weekend. Hey you can define terms any way you want but Rogue One made more money last weekend than Hidden Figures and that's a fact. You're totally right though if you choose to include Thursday night for Hidden Figures and not for Rogue One (which also made more money Thursday night than Hidden Figures), then in that unequal comparison Hidden Figures "won." In other news Rogue One made more money on December 15 and 16 than The Force Awakens did on December 15 and 16 of its box office run. I know, I know it wasn't even out yet but while we are just throwing around arbitrary things I thought I'd add my own :P

As you would say, not rocket science. Where do you work by the way? I want to work there - you get LONG weekends! 

Dude, for some reason, Thursday night previews are included in the box office of the OW of every movie that goes into wide release. It's not the weekend, that I very much know, I'm not stupid (just yet), but that's the way the BO works. I guess it's because it's not the WHOLE of Thursday in which the movie opens, it's just a little bit of the evening, so it basically counts as just part of Friday. 

Now, Hidden Figures was playing in limited (only 25 theaters in the whole of North America) before Thursday 7pm where it expanded to almost 2500 theaters. It's basically as if it had never even opened in limited because its theater number is so small that it barely has an impact on its wide numbers. Therefore, giving it Thursday night previews is the same thing as giving any other 3-day opener - of which, Rogue One is included. Rogue One, and any wide holdover for the record, doesn't get Thursday numbers because it gets the whole of Thursday to play, not just a little segment of it.

At least that's how I see it. I don't necessarily find it such a necessity to go to massive lenghts to defend RO - it's had a brilliant run so far, and it'll smash 500M no problem. Relax, dude. I for one am happy to see a movie like HF open the year in big fashion by upsetting the 3-hold champ, even if by an under 1M difference.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Poor A Monster Calls. Some of the comments here are hilarious, you really can't be saying things like that without having seen the movie. There is NOTHING kiddie about A Monster Calls for the millionth time. Someone actually said we've had enough kid-friendly fare lately? Huh...? Do you even know what the movie is about? I know they've done a lousy job advertising but read the plot description at least :P It's about the least kiddie movie you can find. Very adult themes, but dealt with through showing a kid dealing with incredible loss. 

Maybe it won't resonate with some people, but I certainly think it would for quite a few more. It was one of the best "awards films" or "awards hopefuls" from last year, that's for sure. 

A kid with his huge monster friend and a mother with a terminal illness is basically Chicken Soup for the preteens soul.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cannastop said:

A kid with his huge monster friend and a mother with a terminal illness is basically Chicken Soup for the preteens soul.

Sure, just like Pans Labyrinth was all about how a child gets along with their new step parent and just ripe for a child audience.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure, just like Pans Labyrinth was all about how a child gets along with their new step parent and just ripe for a child audience.

Hey, at least Pan's Labyrinth is rated R and the marketing was all about horror.

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

A person who's favorite movie of the year is Zootopia is criticizing A Monster Calls for being a children's movie? :huh:

(Hint: It really isn't, even if it got marketed as one.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Of course, and I totally agree with you, I just don't appreciate the condescending tone taken in the previous post as it's stating something as a fact like that the earth is round when it's merely something handed out by a studio and accepted by, well, anyone who cares to accept it.

I loved Hidden Figures. I just think I am pretty clear on which movie won Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday at the box office and it wasn't Hidden Figures. But I fully understand the way previews are counted I just can't help but snicker in this particular unique case where a movie was already in release and they get to claim extra time that Rogue One didn't have to say "we're number one!" I wouldn't proclaim that if I were Fox. It's a lot like Trump saying he won by a landslide - what a joke, he lost the popular vote by like 3 million. It's fair if he wants to say he won by the rules of what we accept for the election, of course! He totally did (and I'm good with that; I'm not a liberal), but it's just wrong when he's trying to act like he won by any measure when he won because of our particular system of government. Just like HF "won" because somehow a movie already in release is allowed to count 5 extra hours to its gross that is literally the only reason (1.2 million reasons in fact) that it beat another movie that actually took 2 out of 3 weekend days. So forgive me for chuckling a bit at its "win" ;) I don't mean to be snarky I just find it funny.

I think you should just get over it.

R1 has already made the bulk of its money and will be crossing the Billion dollar mark really soon.

As far as I'm concerned it could have dropped to 7th place and it still don't hurt the flim.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

A person who's favorite movie of the year is Zootopia is criticizing A Monster Calls for being a children's movie? :huh:

(Hint: It really isn't, even if it got marketed as one.)

I'm not criticizing it. I haven't seen it. I'm just wondering why it's doing poorly at the box office.