WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Wow, I didn't expect Hidden Figures to break out like it did.

But I'm glad it's doing well. 

I wonder if it will get higher than usual bumps for MLK weekend and Black History Month.

If anything it'll no doubt have good legs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I assume Hidden Figures' budget is reasonable enough that it can make it back from domestic because I suspect it won't fare as well OS likewise with Fences. 

Both have a budget of 25m, so they 'll be hits by DOM alone. And oscar buzz will help a lot overseas compared to black movies with no award buzz.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Both have a budget of 25m, so they 'll be hits by DOM alone. And oscar buzz will help a lot overseas compared to black movies with no award buzz.

Denzel took a massive pay cut to star and direct Fences but I guess it's a passion project where it's not about the money.

Hidden Figures will sadly struggle OS unless it gets Oscar buzz due to its lack of star, Fences at least has Denzel to sell the film.

Alright... Here is my front yard right now

Brace yourselves ...

Coming out of the house :kitschjob:

DSC_0171.jpg

Looking toward the front door :ohmyzod:

DSC_0170.jpg

In case you're wondering, yes the door frame in total is 7 feet high

There is almost 7 feet of snow in front of the door :bouncy:

Actual, ahem, "front yard" :sadben:

DSC_0169.jpg

Rest of the yard is about 6 feet of snow

----

Quebec City, bitches :qotd:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 34

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Denzel took a massive pay cut to star and direct Fences but I guess it's a passion project where it's not about the money.

Hidden Figures will sadly struggle OS unless it gets Oscar buzz due to its lack of star, Fences at least has Denzel to sell the film.

The Help, Compton and Butler who all had at least some oscar buzz made 40-60m OS. If it becomes a 100m DOM hit and score some big nominations, I can see Hidden Figures doing something similar OS despite lack of starpower.

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I never understood why Hollywood is so high on Viola and not on the natural born movie star Taraji. HF may change that now.

Well, it's not like there are many good roles to go around for African American women.

HF doesn't need OS since it costs only 25M. Whatever it makes over there will be a bonus but it should be profitable from domestic release alone.  25x2.5 = 65M to break even. That's happening and than some.

@filmlover That's the problem with Hollywood. They like to cast same people and thus cockblock everyone else. especially when it comes to minorities or accented ones. Their French contingent are Cotillard and Seydoux. Nobody else. Their Scandinavian one are Mads and Stellan. Their Japanese one is Watanabe.  Their Spanish one are Cruz and Bardem. So, naturally, their African American female pick is Viola and everyone else stop. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

HF doesn't need OS since it costs only 25M. Whatever it makes over there will be a bonus but it should be profitable from domestic release alone.  25x2.5 = 65M to break even. That's happening and than some.

@filmlover That's the problem with Hollywood. They like to cast same people and thus cockblock everyone else. especially when it comes to minorities or accented ones. Their French contingent are Cotillard and Seydoux. Nobody else. Their Scandinavian one are Mads and Stellan. Their Japanese one is Watanabe.  Their Spanish one are Cruz and Bardem. So, naturally, their African American female pick is Viola and everyone else stop. 

Actually, Hollywood just doesn't offer many good roles to black women in general. It's telling that both Viola and Taraji had to turn to TV to finally strike a goldmine.

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I never understood why Hollywood is so high on Viola and not on the natural born movie star Taraji. HF may change that now.

Thank you. 

Taraji >>>> 

Loved her since Hustle & Flow and Benjamin Button days. 

Anyway, the "She's back in black ;)" ads for Underwear: Blood Wars are super cringe.