kayumanggi

THE BOSS BABY | 353.0 M overseas ● 528.0 M worldwide

Deadline:

THE BOSS BABY
Maintaining its position as the No. 2 international player, Fox/DreamWorks Animation’s The Boss Baby is not slowing down this weekend in its 61 markets. With a big $36.8M weekend gross (hey, kids are out of school for the Easter holiday), this animated family film had outstanding holds in the U.K., France, Germany and Australia. It also opened in Spain, Hong Kong and Argentina to strong numbers.

Its international cume rose to $171.1M, making it bigger than Sing and The Croods during the same point of their releases and figuring in the exchange rates, according to Fox. Domestically, this bad baby has taken in an estimated $116.3M for a global tally of $287.4M.

The biggest market continues to be the U.K. where it grossed another $4.39M this weekend and was up 26% to total $20.46M. It’s No. 2 in the market, behind — you guessed it — Fate of the Furious. Spain opened with a very strong No. 2 showing with $4.3M as did Hong Kong with $2.79M and Argentina with $1.86M (making it four times bigger than Trolls opened to there).

Down Under, the Boss is holding strong in Australia and is No. 3 in the marketplace with a $12.46M cume while it just opened this weekend in New Zealand 30% bigger than Trolls. Germany saw a 28% increase this weekend to add another $2M to its $8M cume. In Denmark, the film doubled its opening weekend gross. It’s total there is $1.79M.

There are 15 more markets coming next weekend  for this diapered big shot, incl

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

No release date in China yet. Some in the China forums say it won't be released at all. It also won't be released in Japan like most Dreamworks animation.

I seriously don't understand Japan's mass disinterest against the more recent Dreamworks animated films.

Have Japan completely banned Dreamworks-films from ever being released in theaters again? Cause that is a major issue i have with that market.

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I seriously don't understand Japan's mass disinterest against the more recent Dreamworks animated films.

Have Japan completely banned Dreamworks-films from ever being released in theaters again? Cause that is a major issue i have with that market.

According to Corpse, they just don't see the point of releasing almost guaranteed flops when a more profitable film can be given the same theaters. I also don't understand why Japan shuns Dreamworks but adores Disney and Illumination. The only successful Dreamworks films to break $20 million were Shrek 2 and Madagascar 1 + 3. Everything else has bombed with grosses around $5-10 million usually. No Dreamworks animation has been released in Japan since Madagascar 3, and I believe a few were already not released prior to that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

According to Corpse, they just don't see the point of releasing almost guaranteed flops when a more profitable film can be given the same theaters. I also don't understand why Japan shuns Dreamworks but adores Disney and Illumination. The only successful Dreamworks films to break $20 million were Shrek 2 and Madagascar 1 + 3. Everything else has bombed with grosses around $5-10 million usually. No Dreamworks animation has been released in Japan since Madagascar 3, and I believe a few were already not released prior to that.

True.

Talk about major undeserved rejection from Japan.

11 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

True.

Talk about major undeserved rejection from Japan.

It's really such a shame losing the biggest international market for animated films. I'm not sure why Dreamworks struggled so hard to be accepted in Japan yet Illumination quickly became a brand almost as popular as Disney. 

• Like 1

The Boss Baby added $30m from 78 markets, including a further $4.8m from three debuts, for $221.1m internationally. The animation held strong in the UK on $2.7m for $27.9m, which is now bigger than the lifetime run of Despicable Me.

DreamWorks Animation’s The Boss Baby is now bigger than Sing and The Croods through the same point of release at current exchange rates.  South Korea will debut on May 3.

Source: Screen Daily

75M+ holdovers

5M+ SK

300M+ OS and 175M+ DOM = 475M WW