kayumanggi

POWER RANGERS | 57.0 M overseas ● 142.3 M worldwide

Now thay I think about it, PR and TMNT is actually in a very similar situation??

Both are adaptations from a very popular kid show in the 90s, have budgets in the $120-150 million range, opens just one week after a Disney tentpole that target similar demographic (BATB is practically a YA-family film, at this point). Also, didn't they cross over once in the tv shows??

Yeah, I think Turtles-like number can happen if things went well.

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't know. China is quite unpredictable. Perhaps robots and monsters will get the attention from chinese people there.

I expect this movie to perform like Pacific Rim. 

I don't see that at this point. Not with (Not) Star Wars Smurfs 2 being released a week before. Also how does a movie only manage 42M OS in 3 weeks.. ugh!

Edited by Momo

Just now, Momo said:

I don't see that at this point. Not with (Not) Star Wars Smurfs 2 being released a week before. Also how does a movie only manage 42M OS in 3 weeks.. ugh!

Bad release date, huge competion, the name itself ( lots of people didn't give a chance because they thought it would be a cheesy and ridiculous movie like the show ) did hurt a lot.

At least the budget isn't insanely high and it'll probably make a profit. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a sequel. If GI Joe got one, despite making 300 million on a 175 million budget, Power Rangers is far from being a disaster.

This is probably the kind of movie that will get a coo following on dvd, just like Austin Powers. Word of mouth is definitely fine for the movie, so there's that. The drops are high because of the several new blockbusters released lately.

36 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Is Power Rangers popular in China? 

Super Sentai is. China even made their own version of Super Sentai. Don't know if that will translate into any good numbers though. Were going to have a clue about how it will fair in Asia in 2 weeks when it's in South Korea on April 20. But right now it doesn't even look like it will manage 100M OS when it's whole run is over.

Power Rangers added $2.7m through licensees as the running total reached $47.7m. The film has delivered $6m in Mexico, $5.7m in the UK, $5.1m in Brazil, $2.8m in Malaysia, and $2.7m in Australia.

Source: Screen Daily

SK, CH and JP left

On 4/9/2017 at 3:10 PM, Blaze Heatnix said:

If GI Joe got one, despite making 300 million on a 175 million budget, Power Rangers is far from being a disaster.

2009 was a really different era with giant margin at the end of it but still in the easiest time to succeed for an Hollywood movie, a 150 million domestic/150 intl in 2009 movie probably made a lot.

Look at that nice home market sales performance, only one movie did significantly more than that in 2016, Star Wars:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/G-I-Joe#tab=summary

Domestic Box Office $150,201,498 Details
International Box Office $152,267,519 Details
Worldwide Box Office $302,469,017  
Home Market Performance
Domestic DVD Sales $75,609,501 Details
Domestic Blu-ray Sales $15,632,440 Details
Total Domestic Video Sales $91,241,941

A movie like Salt made 358.57 million in total revenue in 2010, and that is without any toys and significantly worst number (less domestic heavy, 50% less popular in dvd sales):

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Salt#tab=summary

Domestic Box Office $118,311,368 Details
International Box Office $172,339,126 Details
Worldwide Box Office $290,650,494  
Home Market Performance
Domestic DVD Sales $34,435,112 Details
Domestic Blu-ray Sales $17,109,158 Details
Total Domestic Video Sales $51,544,270

Would not surprise me at all if GI joe did over 400 million in total revenue and helped the toys sales, back in the dvd bubble some movie broke even doing just 1.4 time their budget at the box office.