Ezen Baklattan

Monster Trucks (2017)

Monster Trucks (2017)  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Monster Trucks (2017)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Believe it or not, I’ve been anticipating this movie for a loooong time. Whenever you have a movie that was slated for a release date only to get pushed back for years makes me want to see it more. I don’t care what it's about sometimes. I just want to see that specific movie to go with a sarcastic smile, “SO, this is the film the studio didn’t want anybody to see so they waited 20 years to release it? WELL AREN’T WE GOING TO HAVE SOME FUN TODAY!” Movies such as Hoodwink Too, World War Z, The Cabin in the Woods, that Bella Thorne Amityville movie that we were supposed to get a year and a half ago and we’re still waiting for today, and now after long wait, we finally have Monster Trucks. A film that was supposed to come out on the date Mission Impossible 5 was released and then got pushed back to that Christmas and then pushed back again to last March and then pushed back to this year in the beautiful month of January….

For this being the first live action directed by Chris Wedge (director of Ice Age, co-founder of Blue Sky Studios, voice of Scrat) he does a very competent job. For a ridiculous premise that you can’t believe is a feature-length film, Wedges puts effort into these different action sequences. The film does have its moments of imagination and creativity. As much as I am tired of car chase sequences in recent films, this features a car chase that is both fun and exciting. Surprisingly it wasn’t the one in the climax, but one in the second act.

I recently learn that the concept of this film came from at the mind of a four-year-old. It’s not the first time a young child created a concept that became something. The webcomic turned TV series Axe Cop was made from the mind of a 5-year-old. And to be honest, I really like Axe Cop so I can’t really be cynical towards this. Despite all the good things I said about this film, it is nonetheless an incredibly flawed film. Monster Trucks would be the best Nickelodeon film ever made if it was released in 1997 after their release of Good Burger. But since this is 2017 there’s not another way to describe this other than another generic live action Nickelodeon movie.

At least we know why Lucas Till died in X-Men Apocalypse. It was because he was making this film. Okay that isn't true since this was filmed in 2014 a year before Apocalypse started filming. As charismatic as they are Till and Levy are terribly miscast. It’s weird because nearly every Nickelodeon film has to have a central character in high school, but in this, you could tell they did not give a crap. If you thought Andrew Garfield looked too old to be a high school when he was Peter Parker, Till looks near like a pedophile amongst the teenagers in his high school. For God's sake this guy is MacGyver now. The opening shot that introduces us to Trip is him sitting in a school bus with actual teenagers who look their age. You just have a tall Lucas Till sitting with these kids looking like a guy who's been left back for several years trying to get his GED. The first thing I thought was, “Oh. So I guess he’s a left back student. Oh wait he’s not? HAHAHAHA!” 

Over four years ago, Jane Levy starred in the ABC series Suburgatory where she was a teenager in high school. Over four years ago, Levy also starred in the 2012 NICKELODEON film Fun Size where she was A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT and she looked like it. Four years later after starring in horror films such as Evil Dead and Don’t Breathe, you see her as a mature adult who should be cast as a college student. But seeing her cast as a high school student is beyond belief. I guess cause she’s short she can still be cast as a high school student similar Mae Whitman in The Duff, but…….COME ON NICK! You could’ve easily broke away from your formula and cast these college looking actors in college. Not every film of yours HAVE to feature a central character in high school.

2/5 | 46%

FULL REVIEW here: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//monster-trucks-review

• Like 2

Monster Trucks is not a good movie, but it is an enjoyable one. Silly to almost a profound nature, the plot is almost shockingly stupid and the actors making hilariously dumb appearances matches that stupidity. Yet, it's fun! The setpieces are really creative, and constantly entertaining. The other scenes are generally pretty engaging, because this is a really really fun movie. The third act is wonderfully doltish but also beautifully constructed. Monster Trucks is the type of bad film that is actually made competently, and thus, it's hard not to go along for the ride and have loads of fun. C

(also i watched this drunk so maybe don't listen to me)