Bishop54

Wednesday Numbers: La La Land 1.86M, SING 959k, Long In The Tooth 921k

How do the Illuminations films always have such incredible theater holds?

Its not pulling in huge numbers and is losing 1/3 the number of theaters as Rogue 1.

Disney needs to take marketing and release date 101 from whoever 

handles Illuminations.  I guess Universal but why doesn't this genius extend beyond ILLUMINATIONS for Universal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Planodisney said:

Its not pulling in huge numbers and is losing 1/3 the number of theaters as Rogue 1.

handles Illuminations.  I guess Universal but why doesn't this genius extend beyond ILLUMINATIONS for Universal.

People brought it up to me a week or two ago: theaters will always have a kids film over any other movie when deciding what to get rid of.

44 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

What do we know about Oceans 8 or better asked, is that a film belonging in the 'On the Lot' sub-forum or in the normal dom area?

I can not find a thread, but would love to post some details about it.

Here ya go.

• Like 1

Yesterday I wrote: "How about -32%? hehe. I agree with you, though, my suspicion is that if Rogue One experienced a bump much larger than TFA did, it'll experience a drop also commensurately larger. I mean, I could be wrong, but just a theory. It would certainly be nice to see a Wednesday gross right around the Monday, though."

Rogue One down 31.4%, pretty good!! 

• Like 2

Just now, Bishop54 said:

A DVD screener of Patriots Day just hit the torrent sites...uh-oh?

The audience is gonna be 90% over the age of 30 (the audience least likely to pirate movies at all), so no effect. Let's not forget that The Revenant still made $180M last year despite a high-quality version of it being out there before its wide release.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The audience is gonna be 90% over the age of 30 (the audience least likely to pirate movies at all), so no effect. Let's not forget that The Revenant still made $180M last year despite a high-quality version of it being out there before its wide release.

american sniper as well. screener of that dropped online like a week before it came out wide.

• Like 4

Tickets sold at my theater for tonight's previews:

Patriots Day: 21

Sleepless: 14

Live By Night: 6

Bye Bye Man: 4

BBM doesn't start for another hour so there's still time for more tickets. Sleepless might not do as bad as we expect. LBN will bomb hard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tickets sold at my theater for tonight's previews:

Patriots Day: 21

Sleepless: 14

Live By Night: 6

Bye Bye Man: 4

BBM doesn't start for another hour so there's still time for more tickets. Sleepless might not do as bad as we expect. LBN will bomb hard.

Sleepless is actually getting the biggest auditorium at my theater that isn't the giant screen (which goes to Patriots Day). I'd say that seems like a waste of space but we'll see.

Just now, filmlover said:

Sleepless is actually getting the biggest auditorium at my theater that isn't the giant screen (which goes to Patriots Day). I'd say that seems like a waste of space but we'll see.

This weekend at my theater, Monster Trucks is getting the biggest screen and Patriots Day is getting the second biggest with Hidden Figures lurking in both during the morning. During the week, HF will move into the biggest auditorium full time.

I was surprised to see HF at the top of the daily chart when it isn't even mentioned in the thread title. It should do very well over the weekend. Church groups and parents of young girls I know are enthused about it. (One friend has three young daughters and all of them have a gaggle of friends. Big theater outing incoming.)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

american sniper as well. screener of that dropped online like a week before it came out wide.

Same with Expendables 3. Movie was leaked about a month before release, still climbed to $200m WW

Edited by franfar

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I can't believe how much Live By Night is bombing so far! I figured Ben Affleck movies were a good bet.

It's a poorly reviewed film, seems kind of generic, and is a gangster movie, which are out of vogue

Plus, Affleck films are a bit hit or miss

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

What do we know about Oceans 8 or better asked, is that a film belonging in the 'On the Lot' sub-forum or in the normal dom area?

I can not find a thread, but would love to post some details about it.

There is definitely a thread on it. I'll find it and bump it. I THINK it is in this forum, but I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

For fuck's sake

It isn't just the number of theaters but the quality of theaters.  As I said elsewhere, both my favorite local theaters are dropping Passengers this weekend -- but La La Land is in both.  Contrarily, I'd either have to go from the valley to Hollywood, or to theaters in  Burbank, and not the ones there that I know, to see Passengers.  There is one theater kind of near me still showing it, but it is the old time, fold up seat type theater, without reserved seats.  So I went today to see it, when I saw what would be available this weekend.  It may be the last time I see it in theaters, because of that.  And I honestly just love looking at it, it is beautiful.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Planodisney said:

Sing was the youngest kid movie on the market and was still doing decent business.