Bishop54

Wednesday Numbers: La La Land 1.86M, SING 959k, Long In The Tooth 921k

6 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Except they have contracts that force them to show a bunch of different movies. Even if they wanted to, they would not be able to have all 20 screens of a movie theater running Star Wars for the entire weekend for instance.

Disney threatened to not show TFA in any of the ArcLight theaters if they didn't extend TFA's run in the Los Angeles Cinemarama Dome, which led the theater to break the contract they had with Tarantino for Hateful Eight. Did the contract matter then?

Edited by Goffe

32 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Disney threatened to not show TFA in any of the ArcLight theaters if they didn't extend TFA's run in the Los Angeles Cinemarama Dome, which led the theater to break the contract they had with Tarantino for Hateful Eight. Did the contract matter then?

That is one screen in a large complex. They would not be able to demand that the entire complex play a single movie.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

Ben has always had a wildly inconsistent track record at the box office throughout his entire leading man career. In fact, you could definitely argue he's been in far more misses than hits.

Affleck's career is like 3 different careers in one. There was Hollywood it-boy Affleck that was succesfull but evetually crashed and burned because of bad choices. Then there was toxic Affleck who could barely score a few supporting roles. And now we have award winning, critical darling and franchise headliner Ben Affleck. I don't know about his draw power but his 2010s track record is not that inconsistent. Town-Argo-Gone Girl-BvS-Accountant in the span of 6 years is pretty great. He's def one of the biggest movie stars of the current decade.

2 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Affleck's career is like 3 different careers in one. There was Hollywood it-boy Affleck that was succesfull but evetually crashed and burned because of bad choices. Then there was toxic Affleck who could barely score a few supporting roles. And now we have award winning, critical darling and franchise headliner Ben Affleck. I don't know about his draw power but his 2010s track record is not that inconsistent. Town-Argo-Gone Girl-BvS-Accountant in the span of 6 years is pretty great. He's def one of the biggest movie stars of the current decade.

He's still had Runner Runner and (inevitably, it seems) Live by Night so he's still not immune to a total miss.

Just now, filmlover said:

He's still had Runner Runner and (inevitably, it seems) Live by Night so he's still not immune to a total miss.

Yeah, even though RR was a movie that came and went without notice so it didn't hurt him that much. Live by Night being both a financial and critical flop would definately hurt his comeback image way more.

But my point is that his successes far outweight his fails this decade. Which male actor would you call a bigger movie star than Affleck this decade other than Di Caprio? I can't think of anyone else.

58 minutes ago, Goffe said:

That was Tarantino's story.  Sources told Deadline it was the other way around and early bookings for TFA at The Dome supported that.  All theater contracts for TFA were for a minimum of 4 weeks.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-hateful-eight-star-wars-force-awakens-arclight-theater-fight-1201668018/

However, many sources tell Deadline that Disney secured the Dome months ago to play the Force Awakens through the holidays. This was further reflected in the fact that the Dome was an option to prospective Force Awakens ticket buyers when they went on sale on Oct. 19. Apparently, Tarantino only recently learned about the booking situation and decided to voice his protest on Stern. Tarantino owns and programs the New Beverly Cinema, a renowned revival house in Los Angeles. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Like every Hollywood's actor/actress even Leo.

To be fair, he probably took J. Edgar to higher numbers than it would have otherwise given it was flop awards bait. Put any other actor in that movie and it likely wouldn't have even made $10M in total.

24 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Yeah, even though RR was a movie that came and went without notice so it didn't hurt him that much. Live by Night being both a financial and critical flop would definately hurt his comeback image way more.

But my point is that his successes far outweight his fails this decade. Which male actor would you call a bigger movie star than Affleck this decade other than Di Caprio? I can't think of anyone else.

As a  movie star? Quite a few?  RDJ easily.  Even The Judge - his failure dd $85m WW.   I'd also say Brad Pitt even with Allied and that dud he did for Jolie - he's been more consistent as a B.O. lead - even his Mallick movie made more than Affleck's.  Then there's The Rock, Whalberg, Damon etc.  Channing Tatum has had more ups than downs than Affleck this decade.

Affleck has had more success behind the camera this decade than in front of it.  In the films he stars in that he directs it's his directing that got the praise (well until Live By Night)

To add to Runner Runner and Live By Night this decade there's also To The Wonder &  Company Man - smaller films but they did nothing to show he had any consistent significant movie star power.   Gone Girl but it was more a triumph of Fincher and Pike on the back of a huge bestseller.  I think The Accountant has been his biggest success to show his pull as an actor and it was a genre that probably benefited from his Batman turn.

Edited by TalismanRing

I think The Accountant would've done well with any semi-respected actor in the part. It had a really good marketing campaign that allowed it to stand out as entertainment for older adults (the opening weekend audience was more than 2/3 over 35).