DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

Peter Berg and Walhberg aren't having much luck lately, guessing Paramount won't be asking Berg to direct Transformers 6 or 7 :P

Hidden Figures will win the weekend now, who'd thunk that would beat both Live by Night and Patriot's Day a few months ago?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, franfar said:

This is why you don't try to profit off of a tragedy that didn't even happen that long ago. 

I've seen interviews with Mark Wahlberg where he's said that he made this movie out of duty and that it meant a lot to him being from Boston himself. Monetary reasons was most likely the last thing on their minds when they came up with the project.

Just now, filmlover said:

I've seen interviews with Mark Wahlberg where he's said that he made this movie out of duty and that it meant a lot to him being from Boston himself. Monetary reasons was most likely the last thing on their minds when they came up with the project.

Based on the reviews I read, that doesn't seem to be the case. It's also about the timing. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

Hidden Figures will win the weekend now, who'd thunk that would beat both Live by Night and Patriot's Day a few months ago?

It's really not that surprising, imo. Both of these movies were tough sells (hard to expect audiences to show up for a poorly-reviewed gangster drama, especially at a time when movies that are actually competing for awards are out).

La La Land might actually be #2 this weekend. Holy.

Just now, miketheavenger said:

I think the weak numbers are a combination of too many openers/wide expansions at once and barely any of those movies actually looking appealing.

Agreed. This has to be the most "dumpy" MLK frame in at least a decade.

• Like 3

Theaters are going to be VERY eager to drop this weekend's releases soon. Lion might be able to get 1,500 theaters in the near future, Moonlight will continue to expand starting this weekend, and Manchester, Hacksaw, and maybe even Nocturnal Animals if it gets nominated can get one final push before they release on digital and Blu.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

That had The Green Hornet, which opened to around $40M, so no.

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

What year was the last MLK weekend dump?

I'd like to say 2007. Stomp the Yard did pretty well but the other openers (Alpha Dog, Primeval, Arthur & the Invisibles) all made peanuts.

• Like 2