DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

2 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

how in the actual FUCK did monster trucks get an approved budget of 125.  that is one of the most insane things i've ever heard in my 13 years of following the box office.

Hollywood is gonna Hollywood

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Live By Night will be a movie that Affleck forgets. First real stinker that he;s produced

He will be fine, every director has a flop once in a while, Clint Eastwood had two back to back for example and most of the veterans like Spielberg, Zemeckis, Scorcese etc don't produce hit after hit 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, franfar said:

Absolutely, I agree that smaller films are disproportionately hurt by it. However, the piracy thread (to me at least) seemed to talk about big films and the industry as a whole. Like how if everyone who torrented Furious 7 paid to see the movie, it would have made even more money.

Gross numbers look good, but I would argue that the industry is hurting because budgets have exploded in order to compete with the plethora of at-home entertainment options and also the need to provide a reason to see a movie in the theater at all, i.e. the "spectacle" (Although this can also be because of sheer incompetence. I'm looking at you, Paramount).

Edited by elcaballero
  • Like 2

I was just about to start my in class so I barely had time to comment on these numbers.

Thats incredibly unfortunate for Patriots Day. I'm hoping for good legs, and a hopefully 15M weekend and 50M total. Remind me of 13 Hours last year. The Bye Bye Man did better than I thought, I was expecting 290k or so. And sleepless doubled what I thought. Interesting to see how Trucks will perform though given there is barely a comparison we can make.

Also @That One Guy A FAMILY OF 4 PRE BOUGHT MONSTER TRUCKS TICKETS AT MY THEATRE HYYYYPE ;) 

• Like 4

Just now, elcaballero said:

Gross numbers look good, but I would argue that the industry is hurting because budgets have exploded in order to compete with the plethora of at-home entertainment options and also the need to provide a reason to see a movie the theater at all, i.e. the "spectacle" (Although this can also be because of sheer incompetence. I'm looking at you, Paramount).

It's not the budgets as much as it's the marketing costs that have exploded that have mostly impacted low and mid budget films so that it makes more sense to send them to VOD or just have limited runs  with a small marketing budget before sending films to VOD/Netflix/DVD.  So the market gets heavier skewed toward tent poles that can support big marketing budgets.

• Like 2

Also I had a pretty good week for predictions at my theatre. I was only off by 40 people for the entire week which is incredibly incredibly good, my manager had an incredible week and was only off by about half that.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not the budgets as much as it's the marketing costs that have exploded that have mostly impacted low and mid budget films so that it makes more sense to send them to VOD or just have limited runs  with a small marketing budget before sending films to VOD/Netflix/DVD.  So the market gets heavier skewed toward tent poles that can support big marketing budgets.

Very true. I'm shocked that Hollywood still leans as heavily on traditional advertising as it does.

3 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Gross numbers look good, but I would argue that the industry is hurting because budgets have exploded in order to compete with the plethora of at-home entertainment options and also the need to provide a reason to see a movie the theater at all, i.e. the "spectacle" (Although this can also be because of sheer incompetence. I'm looking at you, Paramount).

That's a sign of bad management though and out of touch attitude (not you, the studios). Just looking at the slew of box office bombs from 2016 and before shows that there's diminishing returns when you spend too much. The movies that are doing well have a hook factor and have well spent budgets, while just spending tons of money won't get you bigger BO. 

• Like 1

Very true. I'm shocked that Hollywood still leans as heavily on traditional advertising as it does.

What alternatives are there though? They could just drop a trailer on YT for organic WOM, but they have to sustain interest in the movie and catch people's interest.

Just now, elcaballero said:

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Mid budget films can do well but they need to have a name or based on a existing source like a novel

Traditional advertising can be effective, WB and Universal do it very well and as a result, the big tentpoles like BvS or FB get big openings 

6 minutes ago, franfar said:

What alternatives are there though? They could just drop a trailer on YT for organic WOM, but they have to sustain interest in the movie and catch people's interest.

Not much for tentpoles, because they're not going to risk those budgets on a lack of support and exposure. 

I'm not going to doubt industry tracking, but I just don't see the conversion rate for TV advertisements being as high as they say it is.

• Like 1

Not much for tentpoles, because they're not going to risk those budgets on a lack of support and exposure. 

I'm not going to doubt industry tracking, but I just don't see the conversion rate for TV advertisements being as high as they say it is.

For tentpoles, traditonal advertising works.

For low/mid budget films, those can do well if the movie is good and appealing

• Like 1

Affleck has Justice League later this year to help him out. Patriot's Day well I over predicted it to be honest, because of the Lone Survivor but it could actually turn out to be a small profit. Also Terrorism films are a tough sell, unless you're an awards contender or an action film with a known star you're going to underperform. Also true events are tough United 93 didn't do hot in 2006.  Expected for Bye Bye Man, it looks like laughable shit, and Split will kill it next weekend. 

Edited by Maxmoser3