Finnick

Thursday Numbers (DHD) : HF:2M | LLL:1.8M | RO:1.7M

........in a fight for No. 1 alongside 20th Century Fox’s Hidden Figures, which was No. 1 yesterday with $2M and a running cume of $34.4M, and Disney’s Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which ranked third on Thursday with $1.7M and a running cume of $485M. The Gareth Edwards-directed prequel is headed toward the $500M this weekend.

Lionsgate’s La La Land -even before its weekend expansion from 1,515 sites to 1,848- was No. 2 yesterday with an estimated $1.8M taking its five week total to $59.6M.

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 10

Excellent hold for Rogue One ! I mean, that's the kind of number we should see if 2011 holiday movie patterns are any indication but I didn't expect R1 to follow that pattern. I was thinking more along the lines of $1.2M to $1.3M. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Excellent hold for Rogue One ! I mean, that's the kind of number we should see if 2011 holiday movie patterns are any indication but I didn't expect R1 to follow that pattern. I was thinking more along the lines of $1.2M to $1.3M. 

yup heading to a solid 12-13m 3D WE - 15m 4D - Dory is a filet'o fish by today

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TacoBell said:

yup heading to a solid 12-13m 3D WE - 15m 4D - Dory is a filet'o fish by today

I'm a bit more optimistic about the 3-day weekend. I'm thinking around $14M.

29 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Why? Thursday is not a big drop day. The only thing that has changed since 2011 is that Tuesday increases are bigger and Wednesday drops are more severe. Thursday has always been a day when movies stay pretty flat.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I don't see why that should have been the case. Thursday at this time of the year usually stay flat, +/- a tiny amount. TFA actually went up slightly on three out of four Thursdays in January. A 20-30% drop, which is what your drop would have been, would have been almost catastrophic for such a day.

• Like 1

Just now, George Parr said:

I don't see why that should have been the case. Thursday at this time of the year usually stay flat, +/- a tiny amount. TFA actually went up slightly on three out of four Thursdays in January. A 20-30% drop, which is what your drop would have been, would have been almost catastrophic for such a day.

Are there certain points in the year when Thursdays typically have significant drops? If so, maybe that's what I'm thinking of. I usually expect Thursdays to be the lowest grossing days of the week.

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Are there certain points in the year when Thursdays typically have significant drops? If so, maybe that's what I'm thinking of. I usually expect Thursdays to be the lowest grossing days of the week.

Summer and autumn often see more significant drops on Thursday, but there are exceptions during that time as well, where the drops are slim.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Summer and autumn often see more significant drops on Thursday, but there are exceptions during that time as well, where the drops are slim.

Yeah that's definitely what I'm thinking of then. What got me in to tracking box office in the first place was the big Marvel films - the May releases - which are of course Spring films. That's why I've got that Thursday drop pattern cemented in my head.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You'll see big drops on Thur in the 10-20% range usually only when there's a big opener or openers which will take a lot of screens and business with their Thur previews.

• Like 3

Warner Bros.’ Harry Potter spinoff Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them has crossed the $800M mark at the global B.O. Broken out that’s $229.9M stateside and $570.1M overseas.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-800-million-global-box-office-1201885631/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Only when you have a big opener with Thursday previews. A $200m opener would definitely hurt the Thursday performance of holdovers, especially films in a similar genre. But for the most part Thursday tends to stay pretty flat from Wednesday.

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Only when you have a big opener with Thursday previews. A $200m opener would definitely hurt the Thursday performance of holdovers, especially films in a similar genre. But for the most part Thursday tends to stay pretty flat from Wednesday.

That makes sense.

Thanks for the responses guys!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Unless it is a strange (very strange) set of circumstances Wednesday is the lowest grossing day of the week. Thursdays used to be the Tuesday of the week years ago before the discounts started rolling into place.

• Like 1

Oh yeah - as others posted in between reading and me actually posting my response - big Thursday previews will spell a bit of damage but it will be to movies older than 3-4 weeks typically - or the ones losing sizable portions of theaters on "Friday".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Oh yeah - as others posted in between reading and me actually posting my response - big Thursday previews will spell a bit of damage but it will be to movies older than 3-4 weeks typically - or the ones losing sizable portions of theaters on "Friday".

Exactly, in reality they loose a - often big part - part of those for Thursday evening to night already.

• Like 1

FIRST ACTUAL NUMBERS,

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (1) Hidden Figures 20th Century Fox $1,978,932 +3% 2,471 $801   $34,383,100 19
- (4) Sing Universal $898,115 -6% 3,955 $227   $219,215,520 23
- (7) Why Him? 20th Century Fox $535,200 -20% 2,904 $184   $51,833,047 21
- (10) Assassin’s Creed 20th Century Fox $300,482 -15% 2,642 $114   $51,503,641 23
- (14) Jackie Fox Searchlight $127,098 -4% 353 $360   $9,753,089 42
- (13) A Monster Calls Focus Features $119,734 -16% 1,523 $79   $2,823,628 21
- (-) Trolls 20th Century Fox $27,893 +8% 332 $84   $151,402,692 70
- (-) Nocturnal Animals Focus Features $14,436 -18% 73 $198   $10,491,163 56
- (-) Loving Focus Features $9,342 -7% 65 $144   $7,623,435 70
- (-) Neruda The Orchard $5,980 +10% 9 $664   $226,792 28
- (-) Miss Peregrine’s Home for… 20th Century Fox $4,340 +7% 101 $43   $87,101,368 105
Edited by Finnick
  • Like 7