Finnick

Tuesday Numbers : HF:2.5M | LLL:1.63M | RO:1.31M | PD:1.30M | SING:1M | SLEEPLESS:0.77M

7 minutes ago, straggler said:

So Rogue One is going to make $400 million dollars less in the US and over a billion dollars less WW than TFA. Obviously TFA was just one of those events, but the fall off is still extraordinary. This is a direct prequel to New Hope. 

Stop it.

• Like 13

So Rogue One is going to make $400 million dollars less in the US and over a billion dollars less WW than TFA. Obviously TFA was just one of those events, but the fall off is still extraordinary. This is a direct prequel to New Hope. 

Uh-oh... the prequel no one wanted. This is the one, riiiiiiiiiight.

34 minutes ago, straggler said:

#NotAnEvent :ph34r:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, straggler said:

You'll be no where to be found next December.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Although it isn't a main film we can take away that TFA damaged overseas interest, or the R1 marketing was poor.

You'll be here next December still trying to justify your alternate reality.

32 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

sws8 DOM>OS, that's all I'm saying bub.

800m DOM, 750 OS

Which would be fantastic for the film.  To drop 25% from the WW total is expected.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, straggler said:

Stop what? I did not say R1 was a failure or propose a WWW thread. But the drop off is still amazing. It is what it is. Star Wars 8 should interesting. 

HAHA are you kidding me?! I can't believe some of the comments on this thread. I feel like all of the expert senior members of the forum suddenly disappeared into the woodwork spare a few and then out come the trolls or at least jokesters spouting off things like this. It's rather hilarious. The drop off is amazing? How about the PERFORMANCE is amazing! A $1B+ gross for a spin off movie, the 7th movie ever to make $500M in North American box office history. The only time EVER that a franchise has won back-to-back years at the box office. The 7th time (out of 8) that Star Wars has won its year; no other franchise has won 3 times. THAT is amazing! For a movie with virtually no recognizable characters -- whatever main characters there are, we barely see -- and with a pretty dark ending, to say the least. 

You SHOULD be comparing Rogue One to other similar things like Fantastic Beasts, maybe the Hobbit movies, a new Marvel property like Ant Man or even Guardians of the Galaxy, you don't compare Rogue One to the highest grossing movie ever in North America. That's not even a reasonable comparison to make, nor does it make any sense. 

If we're sitting here this time next year looking at Episode VIII barely make it above $500M, you can certainly say, wow, that's kind of a large drop off considering it's a direct sequel to the highest grossing movie ever. Huh. But Episode VIII should have no trouble cruising past $600M. Even an opening around $185M, which seems to me like it's guaranteed given the $155M for Rogue One, would still sail it past $600M and into the history books. 

There are only two explanations for comments like this and IronJimbo, which is either trolling (saying ridiculous things to elicit a reaction) or outright ignorance of the box office, which is more understandable but still odd. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

HAHA are you kidding me?! I can't believe some of the comments on this thread. I feel like all of the expert senior members of the forum suddenly disappeared into the woodwork spare a few and then out come the trolls or at least jokesters spouting off things like this. It's rather hilarious. The drop off is amazing? How about the PERFORMANCE is amazing! A $1B+ gross for a spin off movie, the 7th movie ever to make $500M in North American box office history. The only time EVER that a franchise has won back-to-back years at the box office. The 7th time (out of 8) that Star Wars has won its year; no other franchise has won 3 times. THAT is amazing! For a movie with virtually no recognizable characters -- whatever main characters there are, we barely see -- and with a pretty dark ending, to say the least. 

You SHOULD be comparing Rogue One to other similar things like Fantastic Beasts, maybe the Hobbit movies, a new Marvel property like Ant Man or even Guardians of the Galaxy, you don't compare Rogue One to the highest grossing movie ever in North America. That's not even a reasonable comparison to make, nor does it make any sense. 

If we're sitting here this time next year looking at Episode VIII barely make it above $500M, you can certainly say, wow, that's kind of a large drop off considering it's a direct sequel to the highest grossing movie ever. Huh. But Episode VIII should have no trouble cruising past $600M. Even an opening around $185M, which seems to me like it's guaranteed given the $155M for Rogue One, would still sail it past $600M and into the history books. 

There are only two explanations for comments like this and IronJimbo, which is either trolling (saying ridiculous things to elicit a reaction) or outright ignorance of the box office, which is more understandable but still odd. 

hmm but the OS is falling off much faster than the DOM.. like i said

1 hour ago, straggler said:

Stop what? I did not say R1 was a failure or propose a WWW thread. But the drop off is still amazing. It is what it is. Star Wars 8 should interesting. 

I don't honestly truly believe that you are being serious. I won't go so far as to say that you are being a troll but we have been talking about this probably for the last 18 months. This is the first story outside of the Skywalker yarn. This is not the main Star Wars story and as such there's no way it was going to come anywhere close to the force awakens. Star Wars is Big overseas and has a very loyal following but it's obviously not as big as films like the Harry Potter franchise and Lord of the Rings and so on in Asian markets. I was off on my 450 million prediction but the thought process behind it was at least correct. So for you to come in here and say that the drop off is astounding shows either that you are trolling or you don't understand Star Wars.

• Like 4

E8 will open to north of 200. With Luke being a major player in the next episode and with Carrie Fisher's unfortunate passing the fever 4 episode 8 is going to be incredibly high.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

E8 will open to north of 200. With Luke being a major player in the next episode and with Carrie Fisher's unfortunate passing the fever 4 episode 8 is going to be incredibly high.

Agreed. E8 will open like crazy for sure. Final domestic tally is still a mistery until we know details about its quality. Awareness is already really high

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

hmm but the OS is falling off much faster than the DOM.. like i said

There needs to be three or four films in this new era to establish any trends. The franchise has had decades to  establish itself domestically. It is only getting started globally and by asking people to jump in mid-series. That is difficult. RO is not nearly as relatable to those not raised on Episode 4 which is 3 generations in the states. But rest assured it gains thousands of fans daily overseas. It will be a long process for those fans to access all the movies to this point but they will.

So you are being entirely unreasonable or obtuse. Or trolling.

Edited by SWXII
  • Like 2